Quantcast

1st Endurance Race

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Eat and hydrate well before the start of the race. I am doing my first solo effort in a few weeks too (mine's a 24 hour race though). I have definitely learned to ride my own pace and have fun and hope that you are able to do the same!

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
ya gotta stop for some more liquids and food, just make the stops super short.

And of course you can do it!!
And even if you bonk, just keep making forward progress!!

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
is a lemans start? 5 hours worth of food/drink seems like a lot to run with...even to do your 1st lap with

ps: I have never done any solo endurance races, but I was the crew for a solo 24 hour rider (who podiumed)

edit: I did do a duo 12 hour

splat

Nam I am
I say don't be afraid to stop. after each lap stop, eat , Drink, get your water taken care off , If muddy clean you Bike , if you Bike has any Issues fix it ( or change Bikes ).

Just don't get caught up in trying to keep up with every one eles ( i know it is hard to do that ) , just run it at your own pace.

jennyooooo

Chimp
Apr 24, 2005
brooklyn, ny
i have been doing solo 24 hour races for about 5 years now....
the key to 24 hr endurance racing is when you stop then only stop for 30 minutes at most.....your muscles start to go into repair after that...then the pain will kick in.....this way you get a break but trick your body....
for a 5 hour race it would be ideal to not stop but you may not want to carry 5 hours worth of food with you, the less you carry on your back the happier you will be in the long run.......but make sure you eat and drink and bring an eloctrolyte drink....even if you aren't hungry or thristy.....because most likely you won't be but your muscles need it......to make sure you eat try doing something like timing yourself and make sure you eat every 30-40 minutes....even if you don't feel like it just do it.......avoid the bonk.....

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
i have been doing solo 24 hour races for about 5 years now....
the key to 24 hr endurance racing is when you stop then only stop for 30 minutes at most.....your muscles start to go into repair after that...then the pain will kick in.....this way you get a break but trick your body....

did you mean 30 seconds?

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I've done quite a few endurance races. Slow and steady is the key. You never want to go above your thresshold. So basically, just plug away.

You can do it!

jennyooooo

Chimp
Apr 24, 2005
brooklyn, ny
did you mean 30 seconds?
for a 24 hour race if yer going to take a break it should be no longer than 30 minutes....
but for dude's 5 hour race, if there has to be a break, the break should be only long enough to refuel and get back on the bike.....

and yeah steady totally wins the race....or gets you through it.....