Quantcast

1st Hood DH Race of the season!!! roll call

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Motoking16 said:
There is a ton of snow! How do we find out if there even will be a race???
Petr updated the infomation line on Saturday, the race is still on. It's not on Mt. Hood. The course is below Government Camp on the Bridal Veil Trail.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
Snacks said:
Petr updated the infomation line on Saturday, the race is still on. It's not on Mt. Hood. The course is below Government Camp on the Bridal Veil Trail.
Anybody know what the bridal trail course is like?? A true DH or more of a enduro/super d?

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I'm going to Ashland for the Spring Thaw instead. I'd be interested in knowing what the Bridal Veil Trail is like too though.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
Ive ridden the Glade/Bridal trail on my DHR. Glade is from Timberline to Govy, Bridal from Govy to Welches. On the top section the DHR rocked, but on the lower section it was overkill. It also left me hiking on a few large hills. From what i remember it was mostly smooth singletrack.

Ive been trying to decide if Im going and If I go, what bike to ride. I know a few people planning to ride their trailbikes enduro style. It might be possible that they are only doing a smaller section of the trail , I cant imagine what section of trail they would use to avoid the large climbs. Im compiling a map from topozone and will post in a bit....

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
here is the bridal trail..... I traced red over the USGS maps... I dont think you could do 2 runs on the whole trail, plus that whole run has a bunch of climbing. I would think maybe they have a way to do the last part? I think i remember that being the funnest with the most drop....

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
We are both bringing our trail bikes to race it (5"-6" of travel). Petr said he'd updat the info line tomorrow for this weekends race. There is no way is hell I'm doing that trail twice on my DH bike:dead:

downhillracer

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2005
Sammamish, WA
I'm going to bring both of my bikes (hardtail and dh bike)
and decide when i get there which bike to ride.
is the trail possible on a dirtjump hardtail with one rear brake?

elRey

Turbo Monkey
oly said:
here is the bridal trail..... I traced red over the USGS maps... I dont think you could do 2 runs on the whole trail, plus that whole run has a bunch of climbing. I would think maybe they have a way to do the last part? I think i remember that being the funnest with the most drop....

so actually looked at this, is that whole thing the course??
that looks really long.

and also, where is the trailhead/place of race? like, where is the meeting area where everyone goes and catches the shuttle, registers, etc.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
elRey said:
that looks really long.

and also, where is the trailhead/place of race? like, where is the meeting area where everyone goes and catches the shuttle, registers, etc.
Yes, it's longer than a normal DH race, more like a Super D. If you call the info line Petr has updated for this race.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
elRey said:
that looks really long.

Thats been my point. It is a long trail.... with some good climbs. Petr has to have only a small section to run, the question is what section. I would think from GOVY down to where the trail almost touches the road. At that point your right under the guard rail (and the trail climbs from there). That is also a nasty fast corner wouldnt make for the good gathering area. I do recall passing a road by a stream (sorta where the 14 is). You can see a trail peel off towards barlow campground, and also a road just below the text "bm 312".. maybe that is the termination area? Not on hwy 26? I guess logically that would be safer.

The final pitch to the bottom of the trail was really fun, and had some jumps to the side, but im not sure how you would get there without the hill climb.