Quantcast

1st NORBA national/race-wrecking rainjacket

Jan 7, 2004
D.C. area
Hee, hee, here’s what I think is a funny story about my second race ever (and my first NORBA National)—the DH at the Snowshoe NORBA Nationals this past Sunday. I hope it makes somebody laugh. If it inspires a story, please share!

First off, course conditions at Snowshoe were very wet and muddy. I practiced the same course a couple weekends ago and felt comfortable enough to race (beginner). However, the rain turned parts of the course into something I just could not practice enough to be comfortable riding. There were two muddy chutes that I couldn’t get through without crashing. The first chute was steep and had lots of newly-exposed rocks. I practiced the course three times (Saturday) before racing it (Sunday). Each time, I crashed in the first chute while taking a left-hand line. During my third practice run I went over the handlebar in the chute, and I somehow bent my right thumb back pretty badly. I’m guessing I caught it on the bar as I went over. Unable to shift gears (rapid-rise) with my thumb, let alone hang onto the bike without wincing every time my thumb felt vibration, I stopped practicing. I hated to stop without finding a good line on that section, but I just couldn’t hold on anymore.

So I visited Marla Streb and Kathy Pruitt in the Luna tent right after my last, painful practice run. I looked at Marla’s sprained ankle (which she raced DH on the next day and still placed 3rd) and said, “Woo, I bent my thumb back just now but at least it’s not sprained!!!!” Famous Last Words. I’m wasn’t jock enough to realize that injuries take some time to show up. A couple hours later I was sitting at the bar with a red, sausage thumb (which fit in well with the sausage fest), not knowing really what to do with it or what was wrong with it. Joell Powers and Laura Drexler of Team No Brakes pointed out that holding a cold beer would only help me so much… that I needed to ice it before the swelling got any worse. So I did. I don’t know if Joell (who had just dislocated her shoulder) was pulling my leg or not--she said if the swelling got much worse, my thumb could be forced out-of-joint. Yuck! By nightfall I couldn’t shift my truck's automatic transmission with my right-hand. Thank God I hadn’t bought stick! Racing on the thumb was going to be interesting.

The race run: I departed down the mountain Sunday morning around 8:06 a.m. My only goals for the race were: 1) to make it down without hurting myself too badly, and especially, to not hit my thumb on anything or do anything to it, and 2) to not break anything too important on my bike. I’m a beginner, so I don’t ask for much.

My thumb didn't bother me much because I guess I was jacked up on adrenaline. As soon as I got into the woods (after some switch backs), I ran into trouble on a section I usually rocked: my bike just kinda locked up and stopped for some reason, which threw me off of it. I tinkered with it but couldn’t see a problem… so I mounted it and rode on, to my surprise. I thought, “I wonder what that was about??! I just lost time for absolutely nothing!” Perhaps a branch had gotten stuck and then fell out. That messed up my nerves. I started to tense up, but I rode strong until I got to that first chute that I always crashed on. I took the line to the right since I hadn’t ever made it down the left without crashing. (I know some people would never dare take a new line in a race. I was feeling adventurous.) I wondered to myself, “What excitement awaits me here?” as I rode down the chute, but I didn’t get too far before I crashed. Wham! My handlebar turned 180 degrees from where it was supposed to be, and it was stuck “good.” This had happened before, but there was always a fellow rider around to help me force it back the right way. (The knobs on top of my fork somehow get stuck on my cables and frame when the handlebar gets turned the wrong way.) Of course, no one could help me get the bar unstuck. This was a race, after all. No playing around.

But there was an even worse problem—something else was stuck—my right arm. I couldn’t have done this if I had tried to: my right arm was handcuffed to the bar by my new rainjacket! I didn’t even want the stupid jacket really in the first place, and now the bar had speared through the sleeve of my jacket and was poking out the other side!!!!!!! The jacket wasn’t terribly baggy. How did this happen? I yanked and yanked but couldn’t pull my arm free. Why the heck not?! This was a race run. You’re supposed to get down the mountain kinda fast. If there had been a microphone in the mud, there might be a very funny recording to listen to: “What in the Sam Hill?!!! Oh, sh*t! Oh-I-do-NOT-believe-this. This is not happening. This is a race run. What gives?! Oh, for Pete’s sake! I couldn’t have tangled this worse if I had knot-tying experience and a life sentence in prison.”

I reeled in disbelief at my predicament. I slipped in the mud, stumbled, and mumbled to myself. Why did I buy the jacket when I didn’t really want to? Why did I second-guess myself? Lord knows bad things happen to me when I second-guess myself and ignore my instincts. I pulled and pulled. I ripped a bigger hole in the jacket, but my arm was still locked to the bike for some reason. I dragged the bike towards the side of the course and tried to get more solid footing so I could see why my arm wouldn’t budge. (Thank God my bad hand was the one that was caught—I wouldn’t have been able to free myself using my sprained thumb.) Upon closer inspection, I saw that the seam of the jacket sleeve had somehow gotten wedged between my shifter “module” and the brake module (not the levers). My fingertips slipped off the seam when I tried pulling. I flopped the bike over and sat down in the mud. I was sick of hearing my huffing and puffing, and my groans of frustration. I sincerely hoped the marshal up the trail hadn’t heard me grunting around. It was embarrassing. Such a futile struggle with a rainjacket. How ridiculous with a capital D. In kindergarten, I was the kid who always got stuck in her jacket ‘cause she jammed her zipper. How little things have changed.

The clock was ticking louder. At least a minute had passed since I discovered my arm was stuck. A[nother] white hair sprouted on my head. I heard noise in the woods above me. Oh, my God, the men had started and were trickling down. I was the last woman down and there was supposedly a five-minute pause before the men began. This was bad. Very bad. I did not want to hear the cry, “Rider!!!!” but it seemed inevitable. What to do? I was strapped to my bike in the middle of a National race. I lost time near the beginning of the course when my bike randomly stopped… and this jacket fiasco had lasted f-o-r-e-v-e-r. I could either drag my bike off the course and accept a DNF, or find a way out of this mess and accept a very slow time. I thought about it. I had not come so far to accept a DNF if I could physically get down the mountain. It’s not like I had lost a crank, like my teammate, Chip, had in the Super D the day before. (“Ha! HA!” my friends and I chortled upon hearing that he lost his crank and had watched guys with flat tires fly by him. We laughed because he told the story in a way that he knew he'd get laughs from, like I try to do.)

I decided to finish no matter how long it took to get free. I gave myself ten seconds of pulling the seam. If it didn’t work, I’d have to pull my Camelbak off with my good arm and fish around for my Swiss Army knife to cut the seam. …six… seven… eight… FREE! Hooray! I pulled my bike upright and began kicking the wheel and bashing the handlebar to get it going the right way. That took another 15 seconds at least. It didn't right itself as fast as usual. Once I got my bar straight, I carefully got on my bike and slid my way down the trail. A guy passed me. Darn. My race coffin was nearly sealed.

I finished the race and at the end of the run-out, I leaned over and just slid out, ripping my one-month old Azonic freeride pants, which I adore, on the gravel. Argh. I was glad the race run was over. I wasn’t even sure if I had passed the finish line so I started dragging my bike again. Within seconds, Chromegoddess was there introducing herself. Upon meeting her, I realized I was among friends and felt waaaay better.

In the end, I got a First Place medal because my sole competitor got a DNF. I hope she was all right, and that she just had a fiasco even more ridiculous than mine, without injury. A teammate urged me to wear my medal but I stuck it in my pocket. “What had my opponent endured?” I wondered.

Well, my pint-plus of Rogue American Amber Ale is finished, so I am, too. I will remember much more about my first NORBA race than my bungled race run. I will remember friends (new and old), feeling at peace and at home, “camping” for the first time in twelve years (and the first time alone!)—in my Element which is my adult “fort,” my first big sports injury, living on Clif Bars, soy milk, and beef jerky, meeting fellow Monkeys and pro riders (all of them, celebrities!), waking up and peeing down a hillside with four deer watching me, sleeping in my racing clothes because getting up early is difficult for me, and drinking beer out of a pitcher for the first time in public because I swear I could not get a glass at the bar to save my life—I know it looked trashy but what’s a pirate to do?

Until next time....

Update from Thursday night: It turns out my thumb was/is broken! :think: Aw, jeez.

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
Oh my gosh, you poor thing!!! Runs like that just SUCK!!!! I've had a doosey or two, but not that bad ;) Glad to hear you kept your spirits up though and finished...good for you :)

dhjill

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
SD Cali
It's too bad someone didn't have a video camera...I'm envisioning this violent flailing going on as you try to free your arm from your bike!!! :p Too funny! Yes, we've all had a run or two in our racing careers which totally suck at the time but make us laugh when we think back on them! Congrats on have the perseverance to finish and win!!!! :)

tammy

spyderzmom
Oct 10, 2001
lost
Like I've always said: Sometimes winning is simply finishing. ;)

Almost the exact same thing happened to me on the Marathon - I was so freaking slow, I thought surely I was dead last of everyone......until they told me at the finish line that my competitor, like yours, had taken a DNF. See, aren't you glad I caught you in the Village and told you to go get your medal? :blah:

Congrats - First place is first place, and you deserved the win! :thumb:

dhjill

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
SD Cali
tammy said:
Like I've always said: Sometimes winning is simply finishing. ;)

Almost the exact same thing happened to me on the Marathon - I was so freaking slow, I thought surely I was dead last of everyone......until they told me at the finish line that my competitor, like yours, had taken a DNF. See, aren't you glad I caught you in the Village and told you to go get your medal? :blah:

Congrats - First place is first place, and you deserved the win! :thumb:
Yeah...what she said. ;)

Finishing is an important part of racing! Tammy's so right, first place is first place no matter if you are only racing yourself (yeah, actually getting to the race is part of racing, too!) or of you have hundreds. Imagine this situation: what if you had 10 girls in your class and you were the only one who finished? It's no different...it's still a win! :dancing:

Congrats again!!!

This sport is tough enough with out conditions like that!!! Congratulations.

A team mate of mine has raced the east coast Nats for the the last few years and i remember stories of the wet, slimey, chutes. He told me for his race run he put EVERY piece of armor he had on....2 chest protectors, elbow, knee, DOT helmet...EVRYTHING. Then he would aim for a good spot at the bottom of each chute and crash there, get up as quick as he could, then repeat at the next chute. He wouldn't even try to ride the chute, just find a good spot and plan on crashing!!! The race was won by the rider who crash and get up the quickest!!!

Jan 7, 2004
D.C. area
Thanks, all, for reading my post. I find I write more often if I feel I can post it on RM. You all are an ideal audience. My hardbound journal is jealous.

I go to see the orthopedic next week... probably to get my thumb "adjusted" since a piece of bone broke off and is currently trying to mend on at a weird angle. I can't believe I walked around with a broken thumb for like five days, carrying boxes and stuff at work. No wonder it didn't feel like it was healing.

Tammy, thanks for pointing out I earned a medal! I had no idea the award time had been switched, let alone that I got 1st!

dhjill

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
SD Cali
Capt. Jack Sparrow said:
Thanks, all, for reading my post. I find I write more often if I feel I can post it on RM. You all are an ideal audience. My hardbound journal is jealous.

I go to see the orthopedic next week... probably to get my thumb "adjusted" since a piece of bone broke off and is currently trying to mend on at a weird angle. I can't believe I walked around with a broken thumb for like five days, carrying boxes and stuff at work. No wonder it didn't feel like it was healing.

Tammy, thanks for pointing out I earned a medal! I had no idea the award time had been switched, let alone that I got 1st!
Bummer you ended up breaking your thumb! When you go see the ortho, you might want to bring a bike grip in case they try to cast you (which they may for a broken thumb). Some orthos are cool and will cast you around a grip so you can still ride. When I broke my hand, my ortho wouldn't so I ended up just cutting my cast off so I could race...not that I recommend that by any means but when you gotta race, you gotta race!!!

Jan 7, 2004
D.C. area
dhjill said:
Bummer you ended up breaking your thumb! When you go see the ortho, you might want to bring a bike grip in case they try to cast you (which they may for a broken thumb). Some orthos are cool and will cast you around a grip so you can still ride. When I broke my hand, my ortho wouldn't so I ended up just cutting my cast off so I could race...not that I recommend that by any means but when you gotta race, you gotta race!!!
Thanks for the tip. I hope to be able to ride my 70's Raleigh 3-speed really soon.... I'm not the type to cut off a cast, though, since I'm racing beginner. You're definitely hardcore!

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
Capt. Jack Sparrow said:
You're definitely hardcore!

That makes me giggle thinking about the "Hardcore" song in the movie "School of Rock"

Jack Black: "No you're not hardcore"
little girls as backup singers: "No you're not hardcore"
Jack Black: "Unless you live hardcore"
little girls as backup singers: "Unless you live hardcore"

HAHAHAHAH!

dhjill

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
SD Cali
Capt. Jack Sparrow said:
Thanks for the tip. I hope to be able to ride my 70's Raleigh 3-speed really soon.... I'm not the type to cut off a cast, though, since I'm racing beginner. You're definitely hardcore!
I qualified for the US National team to Master's Worlds in Bromont in 2001. Since I traveled all the way from San Diego to eastern Canada, damn straight I was racing no matter what!!! It was wll worth cutting the cast off...what a great experience. :D

Jan 7, 2004
D.C. area
dhjill said:
I qualified for the US National team to Master's Worlds in Bromont in 2001. Since I traveled all the way from San Diego to eastern Canada, damn straight I was racing no matter what!!! It was wll worth cutting the cast off...what a great experience. :D
Right on! Just how like at Snowshoe I thought, "My thumb sure hurts but I came here to race, so...." If I was fortunate enough to get in your situation I might yank a cast off, too! :)

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Thats sucks about the jacket ordeal and thumb. I had the smae thumb break, but did it skiing. It hurt like a m-f'er when I did it, but when it only hurt like hell, I figured it was only sprained. One year later I was under the knife. Oops.
My gf started right behind Chromegoddess (green SGS Pro, lite blue jersey). What kind of bike were you on?
I rode the sport course and that second mud chute section was sketchy. I'm too heavy for steep mud. I am rehabbing from ACL surgery so I didn't race.
I hope that Snowshoe didn't spoil your taste for racing. Keep racing for the sake of the Sisterhood (friendly name for the women at my dad's office- they outnumber the men and like to gang up), if not for yourself.

Jan 7, 2004
D.C. area
Repack said:
...I had the smae thumb break, but did it skiing. It hurt like a m-f'er when I did it, but when it only hurt like hell, I figured it was only sprained. One year later I was under the knife. Oops.
...What kind of bike were you on?.... I hope that Snowshoe didn't spoil your taste for racing. Keep racing for the sake of the Sisterhood (friendly name for the women at my dad's office- they outnumber the men and like to gang up), if not for yourself.
Ooh, sorry to hear about you having to go under the knife! I'm so glad I got my thumb checked out. When one joint was blueish and the other red, I knew something was amiss. That red didn't seem right.

So... at the ortho's office I heard him going around to a couple other patients saying, "You'll heal up in 3-4 weeks." Then he got to me... looks like I have to be in a removable splint (it looks like a Carpel Tunnel Syndrome brace; that, or a bowling brace) for 6-8 weeks. My break is going to take a bit longer to heal I guess since the piece of bone that broke off isn't near the main body of the bone yet. He says I can ride if I promise not to fall on my right-hand. Um, my style of riding is all about falling like 10 times a day (and flying through the air like Superman at least three times a day), so it looks like I'm off DHing/dirt-jumping for at least a month. :( The good news is that it's not in a cast. I was so glad to get out of my cast, and I only had it five days!

The other good news is that I'm kinda ambidextrous. I broke my right thumb, but I write and eat left-handed. Writing and eating are highly important, of course. Everything else I do right-sided, so mousing takes forever. Mousing and a million different things. Hmmm. :think: Until mid-August. This is going to be one looooong summer!

I was riding a black Gemini, which was brown at race-start since I rinsed it but didn't give it a good washing after practice due to my thumb owie. I remember seeing Chromegoddess at the start of the race but the rest is a blur. I was like, "Hey! That's Chromegoddess! If she weren't first I'd say 'hi' right now."

Oh, Snowshoe didn't spoil my taste for racing; quite the opposite. In fact, now I can't understand why I have to work a day job at this point when I could be traveling to races, ha, ha. ;) (Don't tell my boss I said that! She'd punch me right in da face!) I'll probably race again in August at Wisp in MD. I cannot wait! I am really drawn to the race atmosphere.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Capt. Jack Sparrow said:
I'm so glad I got my thumb checked out...
Good to hear that you got it checked out. When I asked the doc what would have happened if I had seen him right away, he said "Three weeks in a cast." F*er. Yet again I get burned by sucking it up and living with the pain. Storry of my life. Broken thubm, broken leg, torn ACL...the list goes on. I don't know how many times it has happened where I have told the doc that I didn't think I was hurt bad, only to hear something like, "Well, I'm only an x-ray technician, but I can see at least 2 breaks."
I could say some obsene guy things about the ambidextrous thing, but wont. ;)
Do you have an avulsion fracture? Thats what I had. I hyperextended my thubm, and the tension of the ligament pulled out the piece of bone where it connected to my thumb. Also known as skiers thumb, which is how I did it. I hope you heal up quickly!

Here is Kate. This is her at Mount Snow. You probobly guessed that it wasn't WV b/c of the lack of mud. Sorry for the threadjacking, but at least the pic is of a Hunny.

tammy

spyderzmom
Oct 10, 2001
lost
Hey Repack! I thought that was you - I met you at the lift up top when I was heading down to take pictures of my husband (Psycle-On) on the Pro/Expert course and you were waiting for Kate to arrive back up.

Tell Kate congrats - looks like she is having an awesome race season!! :thumb:

P.S. Sorry for the thread hijack Capt. ;)

Jan 7, 2004
D.C. area
Repack said:
...Do you have an avulsion fracture? Thats what I had. I hyperextended my thubm, and the tension of the ligament pulled out the piece of bone where it connected to my thumb. Also known as skiers thumb, which is how I did it. I hope you heal up quickly!

Here is Kate. This is her at Mount Snow. You probobly guessed that it wasn't WV b/c of the lack of mud. Sorry for the threadjacking, but at least the pic is of a Hunny.

Nice pic of Kate! :thumb:

Yup, my ligament broke my bone. Kinda gross. The joint is still very red although it's been almost two weeks. When I take the split of to shower and then I move it slightly it hurts like H.E.DoubleToothpicks.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
tammy said:
Tell Kate congrats - looks like she is having an awesome race season!!
Thanks, she is indeed! So far this year: 2 Nationals, 7 events, 6 medals.

Did we meet during practice? There was only one time that I spent any time waiting up top. I feel bad that I can't remember your face.

tammy

spyderzmom
Oct 10, 2001
lost
Actually we met during the amateur race, on the ski lift platform. I was getting ready to ride the lift down to take pictures, and you were standing up there, waiting for Kate to ride the lift back up after her race run. We just talked very briefly, and once Kate arrived, you two left, and I rode on down.

EDIT: P.S. This is me

Attachments

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
tammy said:
Actually we met during the amateur race, on the ski lift platform. I was getting ready to ride the lift down to take pictures, and you were standing up there, waiting for Kate to ride the lift back up after her race run. We just talked very briefly, and once Kate arrived, you two left, and I rode on down.

EDIT: P.S. This is me
Cool. I remember now. Let me wish you a belated "It was nice to have met you!"
-James

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
tammy said:
Hey Repack! I thought that was you - I met you at the lift up top when I was heading down to take pictures of my husband (Psycle-On) on the Pro/Expert course and you were waiting for Kate to arrive back up.

Tell Kate congrats - looks like she is having an awesome race season!! :thumb:

P.S. Sorry for the thread hijack Capt. ;)

I forgot to ask you how you knew it was me. Were you wearing ~black rain gear? If so I remember completely. If not, I'll keep scratching my head.

tammy

spyderzmom
Oct 10, 2001
lost
Repack said:
I forgot to ask you how you knew it was me. Were you wearing ~black rain gear? If so I remember completely. If not, I'll keep scratching my head.
I knew it was you when you posted about Kate - especially when you put her picture up - because I remembered you mentioning her on the lift.

I don't think I had black rain gear on that day - but don't feel bad about not remembering me. I'm not very unforgettable, well except maybe to my husband - and that's what matters. ;)

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
tammy said:
I knew it was you when you posted about Kate - especially when you put her picture up - because I remembered you mentioning her on the lift.

I don't think I had black rain gear on that day - but don't feel bad about not remembering me. I'm not very unforgettable, well except maybe to my husband - and that's what matters. ;)
I fugured that the pic gave it away.
I think I remember talking to you, even if I can't remember what you were wearing. Usually its the other way around when I am speaking with a lady ;) .
I was going to head down, you were there, but I kept hemming-and-hwaing and eventually stayed at the top? Or something like that? Oh well.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Repack said:

Sweet :thumb: I have the same rig as well (with a Boxxer too) :D I wish more mud hunnies lived out this way so I could get some riding in with everyone (maybe I could steal some skillz too :sneaky: )

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
TreeSaw said:
Sweet :thumb: I have the same rig as well (with a Boxxer too) :D I wish more mud hunnies lived out this way so I could get some riding in with everyone (maybe I could steal some skillz too :sneaky: )
That is a great bike. I have changed some of the setup on Kate's bike and it has made a world of difference for her. Depending on how hooked up you are, the total cost of what we did will range from about ~$100-$300, including labor. We got lucky because I already had some of the parts she needed, including the headset bearings, and a good friend of mine sold me a flat Boxxer crown for $40.
How tall are you? Kate rides a small. I HIGHLY recomend the e13 reducer cups and a new/shorter stem. That brought the HB down by ~1.5" (1" from the cups, ~1/2" down-and-in by swapping the Ringle stem for a small/cheap Woodman). We are also working on getting the bike a zero-setback seatpost (Thompson style but probably generic). The cockpit adjustments make the bike fit like a dream. A Romic Boxxer crown/integrated stem could save you some $ over buying a Boxxer crown and stem seperate, but I have no idea what the Romic setup costs.
We (actually I since I'm the wrench ;) ) also swapped springs at both ends. I think that Kate's bike came with suspension intended for a medium. Either that or IH specked the bike for a much heavier rider. The stock spring was a 450#, but the bike now has a 300# spring and works like a charm. The rear end seems to put a lot less force on the spring than the other FSR bikes I have owned/ridden/worked on. For the fork, we ended up with 1 yellow and one silver spring. A single extra-firm spring would probably have been fine.
Kate is 5'6" and ~150lbs max when all geared up. We were lucky that we were able to trade springs at Snowshoe and Mount Snow to get the bike dialed in. If you haven't messed with the bikes setup yet, spending a little extra $ will make you feel even better about how cheap the bike is to begin with. I have a love/hate relationship with the fact that Kate paid less for her entire bike than I did for my M1 frame at dealer cost.
Good luck finding more women to ride with. The numbers do seem to be increasing. Last year at WV and VT there were only 2 girls, including Kate in her spt DH class. This year there were like 7 or 8 at each race. Plus she is now part of a trio of Hunniez who are all upgrading to expert now that the nationals are done. Its great to hear of more lady DHers. You guys are deffinately the greated beneficiaries of the cheap IH bikes and all the other $1,000-$1,500 6/7" travel trail bikes.

Use your womanly ways to your advantage. Guys love Mud Hunnies and are usually more than willing to share their secrets. But be prepared for when the tips come accompainied by phone numbers. :thumb:

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Repack said:
That is a great bike. I have changed some of the setup on Kate's bike and it has made a world of difference for her. Depending on how hooked up you are, the total cost of what we did will range from about ~$100-$300, including labor. We got lucky because I already had some of the parts she needed, including the headset bearings, and a good friend of mine sold me a flat Boxxer crown for $40.
How tall are you? Kate rides a small. I HIGHLY recomend the e13 reducer cups and a new/shorter stem. That brought the HB down by ~1.5" (1" from the cups, ~1/2" down-and-in by swapping the Ringle stem for a small/cheap Woodman). We are also working on getting the bike a zero-setback seatpost (Thompson style but probably generic). The cockpit adjustments make the bike fit like a dream. A Romic Boxxer crown/integrated stem could save you some $ over buying a Boxxer crown and stem seperate, but I have no idea what the Romic setup costs.
We (actually I since I'm the wrench ;) ) also swapped springs at both ends. I think that Kate's bike came with suspension intended for a medium. Either that or IH specked the bike for a much heavier rider. The stock spring was a 450#, but the bike now has a 300# spring and works like a charm. The rear end seems to put a lot less force on the spring than the other FSR bikes I have owned/ridden/worked on. For the fork, we ended up with 1 yellow and one silver spring. A single extra-firm spring would probably have been fine.
Kate is 5'6" and ~150lbs max when all geared up. We were lucky that we were able to trade springs at Snowshoe and Mount Snow to get the bike dialed in. If you haven't messed with the bikes setup yet, spending a little extra $ will make you feel even better about how cheap the bike is to begin with. I have a love/hate relationship with the fact that Kate paid less for her entire bike than I did for my M1 frame at dealer cost.
Good luck finding more women to ride with. The numbers do seem to be increasing. Last year at WV and VT there were only 2 girls, including Kate in her spt DH class. This year there were like 7 or 8 at each race. Plus she is now part of a trio of Hunniez who are all upgrading to expert now that the nationals are done. Its great to hear of more lady DHers. You guys are deffinately the greated beneficiaries of the cheap IH bikes and all the other $1,000-$1,500 6/7" travel trail bikes.

Use your womanly ways to your advantage. Guys love Mud Hunnies and are usually more than willing to share their secrets. But be prepared for when the tips come accompainied by phone numbers. :thumb:
Sweet!!! Thanks for the tips. I am about the same size as Kate (5'4" and maybe 150 with all of my gear on). I love the bike thus far and do plan on putting a shorter stem on it...I hadn't even thought about changing the crown/integrated stem. I have already changed out the springs because it was WAY too stiff for me as well. I love the fact that I picked up my bike so inexpensively and have extra $ for the necessary gear and lift passes :sneaky: I am really just getting into DH riding (I rode a bit last summer on my K2 Disco :monkey: but only 5" of front/rear travel was killing me on the harder stuff. This bike is much sturdier and can handle a whole lot more a$$ kickin' trails!!!

Does Kate have 26" wheels for her bike? I am currently spec-ing out a 24" rear wheel. I think it will help me with stand-over height and handling. Not sure what rims are the best, but I do know a good wheel builder who works for beer :devil: so I am down with using my "womanly ways" to get any and all tips that I can ;) Hopefully I'll get to meet some mud hunnies and get some tips from them too...where are you all located?

Jan 7, 2004
D.C. area
Hooray! My thumb has healed enough that I can now move it and I don't have to wear a splint! More importantly, I'm allowed to crash, which means I can DH and dirt jump! Yay!!!! :)
The doctor said it will probably hurt and be stiff for another 3-6 months. Dang. And the bone will always have a chunk sticking out the wrong way, but it's not visible, so that's fine with me! I just hope I get full mobility back!