Quantcast

1x9 drivetrain upgrade ideas?

UnklePatio

Chimp
Mar 26, 2016
Pacific NW
Hello everyone, I'm new here and have a question about drive train set up. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

I ride a 2008 Trek Fuel that has been converted to a 1x9 drive train (got the bike used with the conversion already done). Currently the cassette is a shimano 11-36 and the chainring is a RaceFace 30T, and the cranks are Shimano SLX.

I would like to make climbing a little easier, and would like any feedback on the different options available. I know I could suck it up and train/ride harder and all that, but an easier gear ratio would be nice.

Options I'm thinking of:

- Swap out the crankset for something like the Race Face cinch system that could accept a 28T or 26T direct mount ring?

- Modify the cassette with something like the Wolftooth 40T or 42T cog?

Other ideas/thoughts?

Thanks in advance!
-UnklePatio

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
It's not the best solution, but perhaps its the cheapest; why not go back to a 2x9 system? You could probably pick up the parts for free from someone wanting to just get rid of them.

UnklePatio

Chimp
Mar 26, 2016
Pacific NW
Awesome, thanks 4130biker for sharing, I didn't even know that was an option out there.

Nick, if I decide to make the swap, I'll hit you up for the parts and we can make a deal. Thanks for the offer!

UnklePatio

Chimp
Mar 26, 2016
Pacific NW
One more question to add to this...

would swapping out the chainring for a 26T be comparable to modifying or swapping out the cassette to include a 40T? As far as pedaling efficiency goes? I know I would lose some power/speed at the top of the range, but that doesn't concern me.

Currently, the largest cog of my cassette is 36T.

Thanks again everyone!

Last edited:

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
26/40 would be quite a bit lower gearing than your current 30/36 combo, and a 30/40 combo is right between the two, and pretty close to a 26/36.

What I would do is get the 40t cog and see if that solves your issue, if not, pick up the smaller chainring. The range is going to help you, if not now, then in a couple months, and you'll wish you had the top range back again.

UnklePatio

Chimp
Mar 26, 2016
Pacific NW
26/40 would be quite a bit lower gearing than your current 30/36 combo, and a 30/40 combo is right between the two, and pretty close to a 26/36.

What I would do is get the 40t cog and see if that solves your issue, if not, pick up the smaller chainring. The range is going to help you, if not now, then in a couple months, and you'll wish you had the top range back again.
thanks for the advice! Sounds like I have a few options to play with

JLStout

Chimp
Mar 12, 2010
Redding Ca
Can't go any bigger than 36T rear cog on 9 speed. I've tried it. Doesn't work. I would suggest 1x10 as the cheapest alternative. Other option is to find an old used 5x94mm crankset. You can then go down to 29 on the front.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Can't go any bigger than 36T rear cog on 9 speed. I've tried it. Doesn't work.
I did it- works as well as any of the other scabbed on pie plates I've used. You need a long b tension screw and at least a mid cage RD. Hell, I'm jumping from 34 to 40 as a bailout gear for a couple years now:
image.jpeg

HOWEVER- if the OP doesn't need the high end range, I'd go with a 26 or 28 front and avoid the degraded shifting that all of these giant cogs give you...

Last edited:

UnklePatio

Chimp
Mar 26, 2016
Pacific NW
I'm leaning towards swapping out the chain ring for a 26T. I think that would be the simplest way to go, considering I never get into the top couple of cogs anyways when I'm on the trails, and I rarely ride much on the road. Also, I'm kinda hesitant to swap everything to a 10 speed b/c my cassette and chain (and chain ring which will be replaced anyways) is all practically new as they were all replaced at the end of last season. I want to squeeze a few more season out of my old steed before I look for a new/updated one

Thank you everyone for the feedback and ideas, it's been a big help and I've enjoyed the discussion.

Cheers,
UnklePatio

boomforeal

Chimp
Jul 20, 2008
I did it- works as well as any of the other scabbed on pie plates I've used. You need a long b tension screw and at least a mid cage RD. Hell, I'm jumping from 34 to 40 as a bailout gear for a couple years now
me too, except with a short cage (zee fr) derailleur, unmodified. works just fine, though i had to grind down the tabs on the one-up chain ring to make it fit and shift well