Quantcast

2.2" Wetscreams

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
I always used to be a Michelin guy, but a year or two back switched to Maxxis. Specifically High-rollers. I stuck with my Mud3s for when it get slippy. I've only ever used 2.35" highrollers, never gone for the bigger/heavier 2.5/2.7s.

As such when I decided to order some wetscreams it seemed natural to go for 2.2" as opposed to 2.5" (after all, for mud you want something narrow to cut through it).

Problem is, now that I have them they look pathetic! I assumed it would just be a narrower 2.5", but the knobs are all tiny by comparison. Are these tyres any good for anything, or should I send them back and get some 2.5s?

- seb

Racebike

Monkey
Jul 28, 2008
Sweden
The Michelin DH3 Mud in 2.2" width is very similar to the 2.5" wide Maxxis Wetscream, the smaller wetscream version is not too good in my opinion.

Send them back and get a set of 2.5" instead if that's an option.

miuan

Monkey
Jan 12, 2007
Bratislava, Slovakia
My local DH guys do use them frequently, especially the more experienced who know what to expect from them. They grip perfectly on grass and mud alike, while rolling considerably faster than the 2.5s. However they are not nearly as 'safe' as the wider ones. They are definitely good for expert racing, more so in the rear. Considering you seem to have ridden a good couples of seasons, you could manage to cope with the tinier knobs. As for me, I prefer the 2.5s.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Yeah - this is something I discovered the hard way a long time ago.

When a tire is sized in a narrower width - that's not the only thing that changes. The Section Height (fancy term for the sidewall height) also changes. I bought 2 sets of 2.2 Wet Screams a while back and when I got them, I noticed the same thing - tiny knobs. But then I checked the sidewall height and noticed that it was MUCH shorter than on a 2.5" (that my friend had). Essentially with most tires, section height is a function of width. The narrower the tire - the shorter the section height.

SO - unless you are using them for a smooth track like a slalom course - you may not be happy with them. True - in mud, you DO need a tread that will cut down through the slop to a hard surface where positive traction can be gained, BUT also keep in mind that for DH you need a healthy amount of volume to absorb square-edged impacts and other nasty types of rocks. It's a balance between the 2 really (size vs. tread width) to find what works best for you on a given course.

Hope this helps.

EDIT: With Maxxis rubber - unless it says "2 Ply Casing With Butyl Insert" - it's not a tire intended for DH applications. I can't remember if the 2.2 Wet Screams I had were DH casings, but MAN were those things skinny/tiny. Pretty much the size of your avg. XC tire.

If it were me - I'd get the 2.5's. I have a brand new set sitting in my place and they definitely have the spike length AND volume needed for DH.

Last edited:

bansheefr

Monkey
Dec 27, 2004
A few years ago I picked up the 2.2 Wetscreams on close-out somewhere...

I rode them at a Bolton Valley race in VT which was an absolute slopfest, the course was basically a running river with a minimum of 6" of mud on 75% of the course, the tires worked great since they cut through the mud to find solid ground, completely eliminating that floaty feeling. Overall the course wasn't super rough. All in all I think they were the perfect tire for the race.

A friend of mine rode the same tires for a race at Plattekill in NY on very wet/fresh cut course, unfortunately pkill is on the rougher side with slate rock everywhere and square edge hits... He really liked the tires in the fresh loose stuff (with hidden slate rock) but he destroyed his rims in one weekend, he probably would have switched them out but when we realized it the damage was already done.

Bottom line... If used on the right course the 2.2's could be awesome, but if you are looking for a DH worthy mud specific tire I would go with the 2.5's. They should fit the bill for more than the 2.2's, that being said I picked up some 2.5 Wetscreams for this season.

Hope this helps.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Yeah they do say they're downhill casing, I checked before I bought and wouldn't have bought otherwise.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
the main difference that you have to watch out for is that the knobs fold over much easier then on the 2.5s.