Quantcast

2.25 vs 2.0 Rear Shock

Ballmak

Chimp
Apr 22, 2010
Dayton, OH
I have a Mongoose Teocali Comp. The stock rear shock on my frame is 7.875 x 2.25. I've read that the eye to eye definitely has to match and was looking at a 7.875 x 2.0 replacement shock. I would assume maybe a slight change in the ride. Maybe a little firmer ride with the travel distance of the shock being less? Does anyone know of any drawbacks\issues?

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Less travel. The firmness of the ride all depends on how much air you put in it. I'd try to find the right size shock unless you want less travel for a reason But it will work.

Ballmak

Chimp
Apr 22, 2010
Dayton, OH
Thx for the feedback. The reason I ask is because I found a good deal on eBay for a Fox RP23 in the 2.0 size to replace my stock Epicon shock. At this point I'll give it a shot and see what happens.

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
Be prepared to track down the proper install hardware from either Fox or your LBS. I'm not sure if the Epicon hardware will transfer over to the RP23.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Appx 10% less travel. Will also slightly lower your BB height and slightly slacken your head angle.... prolly not enough to notice though.
I think you are mistaken. Having the same eye to eye length, the bb height and head angle will not be changed when the bike is sitting their static- just less travel.

But, if you have less travel, you probably will have to increase the spring rate a bit and possibly lessen the amount of sag to avoid a the possibility of bottoming out more (especially since if the linkage on your bike is progressive and the i2i is the same, you won't be getting that last little bit of really progressive travel). So, if you increase the spring rate and decrease sag, you will actually have a higher bottom bracket and steeper head angle. But, yeah, you might not notice this since the change isn't that big.

Ballmak

Chimp
Apr 22, 2010
Dayton, OH
Yeah. I figured I'd try the Epicon hardware and if it doesn't fit right I'll contact Fox or LBS. I'm hoping that the last .25 inches of travel would only be used in severe cases of travel (big drops) which I don't hit very often. It will be a fun experiment nevertheless.