Quantcast

2.35 tires?

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Anyone run 2.35 tires for fr/ light dh? I was looking at maybe trading my 2.5 michelins for some 2.35 kenda nevegals so i can sell my xc bike and run my gem for xc/dh/fr. anyone here try something like that? or am i looking for trouble...
________
NEW JERSEY DISPENSARIES

Last edited:

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I love the Kenda Nevegals in a 2.35 Stick E DH casing. Thats what I run as trail/fr/dh tires. They are fairly light for a DH casing. I would stay away from the aramid bead 2.35 though. They are super light and thin. The 2.35 is the same size as the Maxxis 2.5 and about 150 g lighter each. My bike lost almost a pound running the Nevegals and I cant tell any traction difference.

PowersUSA

Chimp
Apr 12, 2002
Mass
I'm curious which tubes do you guys are runing with your 2.35 Nevegals? I picked up a pair of the thin side walled 2.35 DTC foldable Nevegals (got them because they were cheap not because they were light) which I plan to run on my new wheelset (DT Swiss FR6.1d rims) which will be here next week. I was looking at the Panaracer Super Tube 2.1-2.35 here

skurfer333

Monkey
Apr 21, 2005
Raleigh, NC
While I've never had problems with my front tire, the back tire sucks big time. Sure its sticky, but so are a lot of other tires, yah its light too...but only because the sidewalls are virtually non-existent. Seriously, I've got a set of XC tires with thicker sidewalls than these pieces of crap. If you even think about scraping along the side of a rock with your tire, or falling off a rock and letting your rear tire slide, then I sure hope you have a pump. During the month I rode these tires I had a flat tire almost every time I went riding, even with downhill tubes.

On a more positive note, I switched to an IRC Kujo DH 2.35" tire in the back and I've been running the same tube in there for about 4 months now. I think the Kujos might be cheaper than the nevegals too. I've slidden sideways down a brick wall on this tire and haven't flatted it. Plus its super sticky and tracks well.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
skurfer333 said:
While I've never had problems with my front tire, the back tire sucks big time. Sure its sticky, but so are a lot of other tires, yah its light too...but only because the sidewalls are virtually non-existent. Seriously, I've got a set of XC tires with thicker sidewalls than these pieces of crap. If you even think about scraping along the side of a rock with your tire, or falling off a rock and letting your rear tire slide, then I sure hope you have a pump. During the month I rode these tires I had a flat tire almost every time I went riding, even with downhill tubes.

On a more positive note, I switched to an IRC Kujo DH 2.35" tire in the back and I've been running the same tube in there for about 4 months now. I think the Kujos might be cheaper than the nevegals too. I've slidden sideways down a brick wall on this tire and haven't flatted it. Plus its super sticky and tracks well.

Are you serious? You are comparing a DH Kujo to a XC folding Nevegal. :confused: You need to buy the right tools for the job..... the 2.35 Nevegals comes in a DH casing and a Folding casing. You have the XC folding version, which does suck as a FR tire. ITs TOO THIN!. You cant say the tire is crap for a rear tire unless you get the CORRECT tire for what you are using it for.

I run the 2.35 StickE DH CASING version and have never had problems. The sidewalls are thick. I run Specialized thin tubes in them. I weigh 185 and run about 30 psi in the rear and 27 in the front. I have never had a flat with them.

This guy above needs to do a little more research when he buys tires. :D Folding Nevegals are for XC and WIRE Nevegals are for DH/FR/TR.

http://www.kendausa.com/bicycle/JohnTomac.html

On a side note; you can buy Kendas for real good prices. You just have to look a round.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
running the panaracer fire 2.3DH rear and 2.4FR front w/o problems here is socal. good for urban and trails. used em on both my ht and fs.

good luck.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I have 2.35 high rollers 60compound on my hardtail. I been riding tunnel,SB lately and they work very well. If I had a wider front wheel, I would put on something a little wider.

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
yeah i recomend the enduro tires from specialize they have insane tracksion in almost everything and they are not going to way you done much either

Jul 1, 2005
Pasadena, CA
i just bought some intense DH in a 2.35. haven't got them on yet, cuz i'm still working on a broken bike, but i've heard some good things about it. from handling them i can see that the casing is very nice and pretty stiff. that would prolly make for good dh/fr tire pressures. one of my co workers has them on his 2 bikes and is incredibly pleased. he runs 50psi on the climb and like 13 on the dh.