Quantcast

2.4 Panaracer FR hits chain on '04 FXR in granny-gear

1000-Oaks

Monkey
May 8, 2003
Simi Valley, CA
Dang it, just finished building my new '04 FXR and it looks like I'll need a wider bottom bracket! The 2.4 Panaracer FR tires are so wide (they measure as wide as 2.7" Mobsters) they fit the newer FXR frame fine but hit the chain in the lowest two or three gears. Love the huge tread blocks though, don't want to dump the tires.

I'm using an XTR Octalink BB, I think the spindle may already be longer than the standard 113mm. Maybe the 118.5mm version would do it...

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
i have those tires and i love em, but i had to have my rear wheel re-dished to accomodate them on my ac frame. take a look at the rear end and see if there is room in your frame to have the whole wheel shifted left. just loosen the spokes a bit on one side and tighten the other

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
I had to go to a 118 ISIS bb and then remove my highest gear from my 9spd cassette and space the (now 8spd) cassette out 3-5mms (can't remember exactly) to get the FR 2.4 to not grind the chain on my hardtail (135 rear spacing).

-r

1000-Oaks

Monkey
May 8, 2003
Simi Valley, CA
Today I noticed that the wheel is dished a bit to the drive side, when I center it I'll get a least another 1/8" of clearance.

Between that and a 118mm BB it ought to be a lot better, hopefully.

1000-Oaks

Monkey
May 8, 2003
Simi Valley, CA
That's a good idea, might do that too.

rpet said:
I had to go to a 118 ISIS bb and then remove my highest gear from my 9spd cassette and space the (now 8spd) cassette out 3-5mms (can't remember exactly) to get the FR 2.4 to not grind the chain on my hardtail (135 rear spacing).

-r

alexchannell

Chimp
Jul 23, 2005
I have the FR 2.4 on my reign. I only run a middle ring, but whenever the chain bounces around those huge knobs catch it and make all sorts of noises. Haven't found a solution yet

Bacardi

Monkey
Aug 16, 2002
Santa Barbara, CA
What is the tire clearance on the FXR? and what rim do you have?

Why do wheels get dished so off-center? Is it to accommodate assymetric chain stays or something?

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
Kanter said:
solution is to run a different tire :)
Well that'd be the least expensive and obvious one. I had issues with chainstay clearence on my bike, just switched tires (made life sooooo much easier).

But with a 118 BB, and re-dished the rear wheel you shouldn't have any problems unless that 2.4 is more like a 2.5 or 2.6 in size, then I'd definately swap rear tires. DH wise I run the 2.5's, but for everything else I'll run a 2.35 or 2.25 (maxxis) of some sort and things seem good.

1000-Oaks

Monkey
May 8, 2003
Simi Valley, CA
I centered the rim and clearance is much-improved but still not perfect.

I'm going to make my own MRP-style chain roller, so I'll machine the BB mounting plate to space out the drive side about 3.5mm. The 2.5mm spacer I'm currently using is a little narrow and using 5mm doesn't leave enough BB thread (only 1/4"). So 3.5mm ought to get me in there.

Actually I'm also waiting for Airbomb to ship a pair of 2.5" Nevegals, which will probably be more narrow than the super-high-volume 2.4" Panaracers anyway...

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
but the panaracers are so nice. they're like 900 grams a piece and they lay so much rubber on the ground. and they last forever. i've had mine almost at least 6 months and the rear's only just ready for a change.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Um unless you are running a floater or something that requires odd spacing, you should not need to offset your rim. Your rim should be in the middle of the axle. Wheels are dished to accomodate your drivetrain. If you run your rim off-center, your front and rear wheels will not be lined up and you can get some wierd pulling at speed. If you know your wheel is properly dished and it looks off-center, something could be up with your frame. Fixing it by eyeballing a dish job is half-assed.