Quantcast

2 Apple lemons...

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Macbook pro going back due to a yellowish cast on the bottom of the screen, and I got an 80GB iPod classic today that won't sync more a handful of songs. (Tried, rebooting it, reformatting it, downgrading the firmware, upgrading the firmware, and 2 different computers. Same problem happens when I try to manually copy music.)

I hope they make them cheap, because I'm sending the ****ers back until they are perfect...

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Yeah, but that's a hardware snafu. I was pleased with the fact that I didn't have to remove 15 items on bootup before the computer was usable.

I've seen Vista up close and personal...and it will take 30 defective machines in a row before Apple gets close to that level of hell.

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
I've seen Vista up close and personal...and it will take 30 defective machines in a row before Apple gets close to that level of hell.
We have a Vista machine in our orifice. What a nightmare. Luckily I make tech decisions in our office so I don't have to use it :pirate2:

Jul 19, 2004
Jax
Ya there was an issue with both the week 39 15inch MBP displays and what seems to be like every ipod classic. Glad you got a week 41 this time. Hope some good happens from that classic aswell. Only thing I can think of is exchange it or wait for a new firmware upgrade. Which some rumors have out to be on firday with leopards release.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
You need to track what fvcking week the thing was made to ensure you got a good one?

:rofl:

Jul 19, 2004
Jax
At least its just a week thing, you could buy and HP or dell from any week and get a horrible system. Which is even more likely when your running Vista.

Jul 19, 2004
Jax
Alright, then I am sorry for the whole incompetency and immaturity of that post, and I hope in the future I can bring some valuable information into this forum.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Meh, I'm just giving you a hard time. ;)

HP and Dell get dug on a lot because they're so huge and sell so much hardware that failure is inevitable. Apple has a history of having far more than its fair share of hardware failures and I've supported a tremendous number of Dell desktops that have a pretty low failure rate.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
HP and Dell get dug on a lot because they're so huge and sell so much hardware that failure is inevitable. Apple has a history of having far more than its fair share of hardware failures and I've supported a tremendous number of Dell desktops that have a pretty low failure rate.
I love Dell. I've had very few issues with them. Sony and Toshiba on the other hand...:disgust1:

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
When I worked for Mountain Hardwear we all got new Dell machines after Columbia Sportswear picked us up.

I talked to the IT guy after everything was in and running. Out of the first 50 machines, only 2 had issues. The issue was the proc fan was too loud, the machine came with server grade fan management in the BIOS. No way to get the fan to be quiet when the proc was crunching data.

Other than that, zero probs.

I installed 4 Dell desktops and 1 laptop a my new job the past year. No probs. All rock solid.

All my friends with Macs have problems. Except this one dude from Canada. But Canada doesn't count.

Jul 19, 2004
Jax
Apples failure rate is around 10% for the intel systems and about 31% for G5 systems. That is not that bad of a failure rate at all if you ask me. While Dell and HP still have a higher market share it is no longer by that much. Apple now holds at 11% where Dell is at 18% and HP at 15%. Dell is definitely picking up the slack with their hardware and making reliable machines now, but I still do not have to much confidence in them as far as reliability, If I was going to go out and buy a windows machine I would pick up an HP because of the luck I have had with their systems and the way there customer care has treated me if I had an issue. I just used Dell and HP as an example because they are the biggest players in the personal computer market.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
31% is a lousy failure rate.

I don't know the stats on the new systems, but their laptops have had several issues and Apple has a big historical problem with major glitches in hardware runs.

Also, a 60% larger market share is a lot (comparing Dell to Apple). That's assuming all your numbers are accurate, I haven't looked them up in a while.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
4 hardware failures on my Mac

heat sensor issue
LCD died
top case cracked twice for no reason
battery took a crap
...Im probably forgetting something too. They did fix it all for free, however.

Jul 19, 2004
Jax
Binary found one of my sources, but I decided to broaden my 31% to all G5 Processors and 31% is on a system that is no longer produced. Apple does tend to have some bad hardware luck but those tend to be on a weekly production basis not affecting the whole lot of computers. And I know several people who have week 37 15inch MBP's who had no yellowing issues. The thing I noticed about Apple though is when a hardware issue does arise they will have it fixed and most likely replaced within a 4 day period. You call them, they ship you box you receive box next day, send computer, they get computer, new one sent to you over night.