Quantcast

2 Dimensional Suspension Release

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
No, but its seems the Gooberment has the way of thinking, "If it makes sense, we don't do it."
I've encountered two big reasons why this is so:

1), They generally have to play fair, which costs a shit-ton of money and slows everything down. With generally more oversight than businesses have, there's generally more accountability for fair labor practices, fair acquisitions/purchasing, making sure buildings meet code, making sure all OHSA laws and rules are complied with, and the list goes on and on. A lot of the shit is the real "true cost". Yes, I know we get crazy stories of government officials running crazy, but a lot of organizations have built-in oversight organizations and my experience is with this and the whistleblower, Inspector General and other external functions, there's a lot less that the government really gets away with than the private sector and the cost is a lot more to "do it right".

2), If you are happy, it's likely screwing over other people, so the government (agencies, etc.) generally try to do the best they can to make everyone happy, which results in most people being moderately miserable, rather than a few really happy people and a lot of absolutely pissed off and downtrodden people. I've seen a lot of managers trying hard to do this (make everyone happy) in various government agencies while I've worked for "The Id" and they don't get the credit they deserve, lots of thankless jobs where people are trying their hardest to serve the public, only to get a constant barrage of "not good enough".

It' always fun watching the far-right crazy government workers always complaining about "The Government".

mrgto

Monkey
Aug 4, 2009
I've encountered two big reasons why this is so:

1), They generally have to play fair, which costs a shit-ton of money and slows everything down. With generally more oversight than businesses have, there's generally more accountability for fair labor practices, fair acquisitions/purchasing, making sure buildings meet code, making sure all OHSA laws and rules are complied with, and the list goes on and on. A lot of the shit is the real "true cost". Yes, I know we get crazy stories of government officials running crazy, but a lot of organizations have built-in oversight organizations and my experience is with this and the whistleblower, Inspector General and other external functions, there's a lot less that the government really gets away with than the private sector and the cost is a lot more to "do it right".

2), If you are happy, it's likely screwing over other people, so the government (agencies, etc.) generally try to do the best they can to make everyone happy, which results in most people being moderately miserable, rather than a few really happy people and a lot of absolutely pissed off and downtrodden people. I've seen a lot of managers trying hard to do this (make everyone happy) in various government agencies while I've worked for "The Id" and they don't get the credit they deserve, lots of thankless jobs where people are trying their hardest to serve the public, only to get a constant barrage of "not good enough".

It' always fun watching the far-right crazy government workers always complaining about "The Government".
The far left crazy government works complain about the same shit just so you know.