Quantcast

2 moar weeks: Evil Uprising non-vapor ware

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
some info is in a different language and has a link to Hulu for the "warranty frames are in" :rofl:
all the models look the same save for a rear fender
Lorem ipsum, not a different language but a placeholder for the actual copy.

Didn't see the Hulu link, but that's funny.

There are three distinctly different frames on the site. Lots of small differences.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
The guy has a point though, doesn't he. The longer this saga drags on the more of a joke it becomes in the industry and less likely any of us are of actually seeing an Evil bike (c. 2013) ever getting out onto a trail near us anytime soon.

Evil (Un)Dead?
http://www.the-locs.com/2011/08/evil-undead-died-la-bresse.html

saga? I think you're behind the times their champ, undeads have been on the trails for just shy of a year now, and now evil is releasing a new bike. its not really a "reputation damaging saga" so much as a "they ****ed up really really hard, and they're trying to rebound"

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
The guy has a point though, doesn't he. The longer this saga drags on the more of a joke it becomes in the industry and less likely any of us are of actually seeing an Evil bike (c. 2013) ever getting out onto a trail near us anytime soon.

Evil (Un)Dead?

I've seen lots of undeads around, and everyone on them seems to be really happy with them....and really, a video that's a year and a half hold, when they were testing proto swingarms? boy, you really caught them out there....

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
I've seen lots of undeads around, and everyone on them seems to be really happy with them....and really, a video that's a year and a half hold, when they were testing proto swingarms? boy, you really caught them out there....
Agreed. Nothing to stand on by posting that video. Only thing you can knock them for is "testing" at a WC event and embarrassingly getting it caught on video and being posted on the interwebz.

Bike looks great though. The Revolt and the Undead were/are quality designs, as I am sure all the other frame models are/will be. As far as I know, everyone on the Undead is currently loving it. I wouldn't mind rocking one. Who cares who the owners are. Just like how I don't have a problem buying another pair of 5.10's even though Adidas bought them.

tuumbaq

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Squamish BC
sorry buddy but that is just BS...Im in Whistler as well and Ive hardly seen more than 2 maybe 3 Undead TOP...There might have been a few more out there but to say lots???I dont think so.You see LOTS of Demo's lots of Operators, lots of Glory, Sesssion Aurum but Undead? No way.I cant think of a single place in the world where you'd see more of those than in Whistler . . . Undead =rare as snow leopards

Now, ****s breaks all the time,regardless what brand it is and to say a product is crap because of a video is a bit silly.Having said that , Evil havent exactly been great at handling warranty claims in the past.Sexy bike, I bet it rides really well but no way on earth would I support that company and risk being without a bike for YEARS:)

Last edited:

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
sorry buddy but that is just BS...Im in Whistler as well and Ive hardly seen more than 2 maybe 3 Undead TOP...There might have been a few more out there but to say lots???I dont think so.You see LOTS of Demo's lots of Operators, lots of Glory, Sesssion Aurum but Undead? No way.I cant think of a single place in the world where you'd see more of those than in Whistler . . . Undead =rare as snow leopards

Now, ****s breaks all the time,regardless what brand it is and to say a product is crap because of a video is a bit silly.Having said that , Evil havent exactly been great at handling warranty claims in the past.Sexy bike, I bet it rides really well but no way on earth would I support that company and risk being without a bike for YEARS:)

He could've said, "I saw lots of Nicolai's" and it would mean the same thing...

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory

Well, it's the off season, yet I've seen 6 (in person) so far. I haven't seen 6 of anything else but Demo's....

They were released about end of season, its not unusual that there wouldn't be a lot of sightings at resorts that were closed/closing; I didn't see any carbon V10's there in 2009 either.

Edit: I am in New York City; so unless someone snuck a mountain into central park, the maffs dont square up!

Last edited:

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
nor do you need to be albert fvcking einstein to pick up the phone and call hadley...

besides, once upon a time i seem to recall hearing that hubs aren't their primary business...
A site is a marketing tool.

Also not all people live in 'murica

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
A site is a marketing tool.

Also not all people live in 'murica
I think hadley would have a much larger market share if they advertised and/or had a reference for information. As it is, the only way you hear about them is through word of mouth. Must be enough business to keep the lathes turning as a side project, but other hub companies (hope, industry 9, king) seem to have a larger market share. People who haven't grown up in the DH world would probably avoid a company that doesn't have any sort of posted information when they go to select hubs.

Kids LOVE the internet.

tracer650

Chimp
Nov 13, 2012
New Jersey
due to my comments this thread is actually interesting now.

and regarding Hadley. I tried to look up some info on their stuff a few months ago and basically gave up when it wasn't easy. I ended up sticking with Hope.

awe don't go...this thread is going to go on for another year and it would feel so empty without you.

tracer650

Chimp
Nov 13, 2012
New Jersey
I guess you never noticed the excessive amount of Marketing stuffed down our throat's from Giant, Specialized, Trek, GT, Cannondale, ETC. Basically Everybody in the game.

If Trek Didn't have the Heaping serving of Aron Gwinning on their crap for two years do you think you would see as many Trek DH bikes on the mountains? Same goes for Hill on the Iron Horse then the Specialized.

Also How is he Going to call from one side of the world to the other if he Can't find the Phone number?

As you can see I am now Trying to Derail this topic.

not all products need a heaping serving of marketing to sell.

but we have the technology to make phone calls from one country to another :rolleyes:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
due to my comments this thread is actually interesting now.

and regarding Hadley. I tried to look up some info on their stuff a few months ago and basically gave up when it wasn't easy. I ended up sticking with Hope.
info isn't that hard to find, sounds like you gave up way too easily. not that there's a whole lot going on with hubs in the first place.

I guess you never noticed the excessive amount of Marketing stuffed down our throat's from Giant, Specialized, Trek, GT, Cannondale, ETC. Basically Everybody in the game.

If Trek Didn't have the Heaping serving of Aron Gwinning on their crap for two years do you think you would see as many Trek DH bikes on the mountains? Same goes for Hill on the Iron Horse then the Specialized.
that's the point... hadley doesn't need to cram marketing down anyone's throat to sell their hubs.

Also How is he Going to call from one side of the world to the other if he Can't find the Phone number?

http://bit.ly/Z502D8

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
not all products need a heaping serving of marketing to sell.
Sorry to burst your bubble but that's untrue. All products need marketing to sell. Yes you can use less marketing but that means you will sell less even with an amazing product. Also a phone number is still a marketing tool, the only difference from a website is that it is a tool from 50 years ago but I know it's cool to hate on marketing on RM so yeah hadley are even cooler because of that.

but we have the technology to make phone calls from one country to another :rolleyes:
And I'm going to pay by card by phone? That's a really secure method of payment. No matter how reputable the company is I'm not doing that. Also the internet made people lazy. Aknowledge that or sell very little.

Last edited:

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Well, it's the off season, yet I've seen 6 (in person) so far.
where have you seen 6 of them?

Also How is he
id say the Sessions were pretty popular before Gwin was on them and as well as the Demos. i didnt see a huge spike of fanboi-ism once those two big name riders made the switch. plus its not like either of the bikes were crap before hand (the demo might not have been "wc worthy" before hand i suppose)

Last edited:

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Hellafornia. Formerly stumptown.

Evil (Un)Dead?

oh jesus, that's the stupidest reply. The bike was a early proto, EARLY. Those bikes are meant to be hurt, and it's also a bike that didnt have the inserts for the swingarm. Thanks for playing though.

You probably wont see alot of them, its the nature of being a small producer. Same goes for a brand like Canfield. I cant think of a time where I saw more than one of those on the trail.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Sorry to burst your bubble but that's untrue. All products need marketing to sell. Yes you can use less marketing but that means you will sell less even with an amazing product. Also a phone number is still a marketing tool, the only difference from a website is that it is a tool from 50 years ago but I know it's cool to hate on marketing on RM so yeah hadley are even cooler because of that.
y u mad bro? someone's got a chip on their shoulder here

did you ever stop to realize that perhaps its a conscientious decision for them to run their business this way? just for a second let's make the assumption that yes, milling and machining hubs isn't their primary business, but a side business. maybe they have no interest in marketing the piss out of the hubs, because they don't have the capacity to increase production to meet increased demand. just a thought.

and also, read my exact words in the first place. nowhere did i say they didn't need marketing. i was making a comparison of them vs mega marketing machine companies (trek, spesh, etc).

And I'm going to pay by card by phone? That's a really secure method of payment. No matter how reputable the company is I'm not doing that. Also the internet made people lazy. Aknowledge that or sell very little.
i've provided my CC info over the phone to hadley several times. 0 issues.

gnarbar

Monkey
Oct 22, 2011
Iboy, you really caught them out there....
Ooh I guess I should spend more of my spare time reading every piece of crap self-promotional subjective article related to MTB so I can be an e-expert industry guru like you.

I'm just a consumer and all I read about Evil is delays and crap. Gives me zero confidence in the brand. They sell direct, cut out the bike shop, with no reduced price point to motivate me. Stuff breaks, they offer little support, and a website fail.

Apologies for being in absolutely no way impressed by this ongoing sh1tshow.

Last edited:

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Hellafornia. Formerly stumptown.
They delivered replacement frames for everyone with an issue. End of day they came through. Being informed about something you are trying to troll on about makes you look slightly less like the idiot you are.

And they do sell through shops, once again pipe down nancy.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Sorry to burst your bubble but that's untrue. All products need marketing to sell.
Reputation is marketing; clearly Hadley disagrees with you, and they sell out ALL their hubs.

This brand is KNOWN to be the sh*t, no amount of ads or otherwise deceptive bullsh*t is going to change that.

Go buy some mass produced overvalued crap -- thats what 'marketing' does for you.

Last edited:

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Ooh I guess I should spend more of my spare time reading every piece of crap self-promotional subjective article related to MTB so I can be an e-expert industry guru like you.

I'm just a consumer and all I read about Evil is delays and crap. Gives me zero confidence in the brand. They sell direct, cut out the bike shop, with no reduced price point to motivate me. Stuff breaks, they offer little support, and a website fail.

All I read and heard about Evil bikes is that they rode amazing. That people would tolerate such astounding failure and stay on board -- thats what I heard. Now I'm hearing them all say it was worth it while I, and a pile of others, drool and envy.

A couple of vocal people, none of them actual Evil owners, and stated they would NEVER own an Evil - talked them down.

Now - a bad ass, world class frame IS available - ALL the customers that were waiting ARE getting them - and here is one more non-owner, no stake, no loss, no claim -- making an issue and deriding the brand.

Go get a Specialized and enjoy that excellence.

Last edited by a moderator:

Beef Supreme

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2010
Hiding from the stupid

I am not sure I understand this viewpoint at all. Yes, they had problems, so many that it caused them to abandon their manufacturer and it pretty much ruined their brand. They still came back and did the right thing. It took a while but I believe they gave away over 100 carbon frames to make things right. They could have walked away and they didn't. That is pretty cool in my book.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
y u mad bro? someone's got a chip on their shoulder here

did you ever stop to realize that perhaps its a conscientious decision for them to run their business this way? just for a second let's make the assumption that yes, milling and machining hubs isn't their primary business, but a side business. maybe they have no interest in marketing the piss out of the hubs, because they don't have the capacity to increase production to meet increased demand. just a thought.

and also, read my exact words in the first place. nowhere did i say they didn't need marketing. i was making a comparison of them vs mega marketing machine companies (trek, spesh, etc).
I'm not mad. Sorry if I seemed off. I just think the whole anti marketing sentiment on RM is silly. It's their choice and it's not their primary business I understand that. What I found wrong in your opinion is the claim that they wouldn't sell more with marketing.

Also why you either have to have no less marketing than a 1930's moonshine lab or use tons of often false advertising like the big bike companies. It's not really a binary situation.

[/quote]

i've provided my CC info over the phone to hadley several times. 0 issues.
I've known people that owned a few Ellsworths back in the day with zero issues. I know hadley is a much more reputable company but it's still not a safe process. Even with all the good intentions on their side.

@Huck as often agree with you in this case you just have no clue what you are talking about. Yes they sell all their need but reputation isn't marketing if you don't try to manage it with anything else than the product. It's commendable and I really respect hadley but as with jon why do you think it's either super niche or mass produced?

Last edited:

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
@Huck as often agree with you in this case you just have no clue what you are talking about. Yes they sell all their need but reputation isn't marketing if you don't try to manage it with anything else than the product. It's commendable and I really respect hadley but as with jon why do you think it's either super niche or mass produced?
Its really VERY simple, they choose to not market, they choose to not have a website, yet every slightly informed rider I know knows of them and their reputation. "I really respect Hadley" - and you learned to respect them from word of mouth or personal use - which is the substance of its marketability; every brand that advertises looks for someone people like or trust to tell them that they use X product and its the best. Except here, no one is being paid to do so, and there's no designed agenda, yet here you have the same outcome. Good enough for Intense, SC, and other premier brands to have relabeled them as a house brand in the past. What is the negative impact of not marketing or providing a web presence? They sell less hubs; big deal - clearly they feel don't need/want the business.

They seem happy with it, why so much pain for you? Are they obligated to provide what the market demands? Mandatory capitalism?

The vast majority of products bought and sold are because they're visible and people are convinced they are the best choices; the reality is that they're the most visible, and rarely even close to the best option. Marketing is good for sales, but not necessarily for consumers; I cant imagine LOOKING to be marketed to. I'd rather take Norbar's feedback over whatever Bearclaw has to say in an interview about his latest bike.

Last edited:

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
All I read and heard about Evil bikes is that they rode amazing. That people would tolerate such astounding failure and stay on board -- thats what I heard. Now I'm hearing them all say it was worth it while I, and a pile of others, drool and envy.

A couple of vocal people, none of them actual Evil owners, and stated they would NEVER own an Evil - talked them down.

Now - a bad ass, world class frame IS available - ALL the customers that were waiting ARE getting them - and here is one more non-owner, no stake, no loss, no claim -- making an issue and deriding the brand.

thank you....and I'm not what to say about the fact that I have actually seen people riding these bikes. Yeah they aren't a demo, or session, or kona, or whatever the eff, but they are out there and people do really like them...sorry I don't have dates and gps coordinates of my all encounters with them to verify for you.

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
Attention haterz; nobody is making you buy an Evil. Go focus your forum anger on tire company sizing standards, or the UCI.

For all the people ranting in this thread, ignorant to the whole story, read this.

I am not sure I understand this viewpoint at all. Yes, they had problems, so many that it caused them to abandon their manufacturer and it pretty much ruined their brand. They still came back and did the right thing. It took a while but I believe they gave away over 100 carbon frames to make things right. They could have walked away and they didn't. That is pretty cool in my book.
Exactly.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I was a big critic of Evil but now that they have come through with the warranties I have a lot respect for them. However, I will wait for another 2 years or so and see how their new stuff holds up before I move them on my 'trusted companies I am likely to buy from' list.

fro biker

Monkey
Oct 18, 2006
in the sticks

As blackohio said, on point indeed.
Owner/rider of an Undead (warranty from 2nd gen Revolt). I happily awaited its arrival. Guess what I bike I stopped riding in favor of the carbon zombie? A 2011 Demo 8.
This thread makes my head spin a little. I forgot what this place was like with all of the errant opinions...

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
I was a big critic of Evil but now that they have come through with the warranties I have a lot respect for them. However, I will wait for another 2 years or so and see how their new stuff holds up before I move them on my 'trusted companies I am likely to buy from' list.
thread over

fred.r

Dwangus Bogans
May 9, 2006
i'll have no issues handing kev my CC number when the uprising is out. period.
I wouldn't either. From my dealings with him he's been upfront and on-point. I needed some help, so I shot him an email, my phone rang 20 min later with Kevin on the other side. Problem solved as quickly as the carrier could deliver the package.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
i'll have no issues handing kev my CC number when the uprising is out. period.
I wouldn't either. From my dealings with him he's been upfront and on-point. I needed some help, so I shot him an email, my phone rang 20 min later with Kevin on the other side. Problem solved as quickly as the carrier could deliver the package.
Next time you guys talk to your homie Kevin, tell him to update their website. BOOM. Problem solved.