Quantcast

2 simple questions...

darthvader

Chimp
Aug 4, 2010
so 1) are disk brakes really easy to bend or something my dad got pissed cuz ive bent two different ones, and theyre like 40 bucks a pop. can you buy more durable ones?
and 2) if you are familiar with the company banshee, or just go to theyre website, they have a bike called the rune with different spokes. they look rly cool, but im wondering if they are practical on a 29er mtb, and how to get em?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
1) No, they aren't easy to bend unless you're doing something very wrong. I have never bent a rotor and have ridden disks since 98. If you're having that much trouble, I suggest you go here: http://www.pricepoint.com/thumb.htm?dept_id=43&deptName=brands&sub_id=682&subName=Alligator Cables&category=&sort=styleName and pick out your favorite flavor and replace the ones you bend with these @ 9$ instead of 40.

2). Those are crank brothers wheels. I don't know if they make a 29er setup, but they're an answer to a problem that doesn't exist. They sure look nice though.

darthvader

Chimp
Aug 4, 2010
thanks. i can understand one time my friend crashed my bike and i rode over the wheel with the bike i was on, but the first time i never crashed or did anything to cause it to bend.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
sometimes it can be caused by overheating, but that's usually pretty minor, and you have to be really cooking them to get them to warp. What brand of brakes are you running?

darthvader

Chimp
Aug 4, 2010
i have no idea, i just have a crappy super low end shwinn mesa from like 06-ish. it was the brake it came with

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I would suggest you grab a can of spray paint if you really want neat looking wheels...everything else is going to cost lots of money.

Bail_Monkey

Chimp
Jul 7, 2007
Bay Area
Parktool has a tool to bend back rotors into shape. You could probably do it yourself just by bending it, but it's hard to get them perfectly flat again. When they rub against your brake pad, it will wear out a bit quicker.

miatagal96

Chimp
Feb 7, 2007
Should have known that Park would have a rotor truing tool. I looked it up-the DT-2--very cool....and we've been using adjustable wrenches all of these years! I'm definitely going to have to surprise my SO with this one!

Snowflake

Monkey
Aug 10, 2009
Maryland
1) No, they aren't easy to bend unless you're doing something very wrong. I have never bent a rotor and have ridden disks since 98.
sometimes it can be caused by overheating, but that's usually pretty minor, and you have to be really cooking them to get them to warp. What brand of brakes are you running?
I've definitely bent my fair share.. lol. A hot rotor, and a cool puddle will warp one right quick.

Although, a screaming rotor /will/ get you off of your brakes.. ;D I know I suck, they don't have to tell everybody else on the mountain!

rekoner

Chimp
Jun 15, 2009
SE Virginia
I agree, just take em to your local shop and have them straighten them out, but if your really in a bind, you could just use a rubber mallet on a flat surface and give em a couple hits, I use two 2x6 pieces of wood and sandwich the rotor and whale on it , it seemed to work for me until I can get to my mechanic.