Quantcast

2 tires, 2 days, 2 sidewall tears.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
The only Specialized XC/AM tires with decent sidewalls are the Armadillo models and are advertised as such. The Sworks/racing models are lightest/weakest they sell. User error.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
The only Specialized XC/AM tires with decent sidewalls are the Armadillo models and are advertised as such. The Sworks/racing models are lightest/weakest they sell. User error.
So true. If you are cutting sidewalls and keep buying S-works tires, you deserve to walk out of the woods. I had the specialized purgatory armadillo tires on my bike for 8 months straight and setup tubeless with no issues. I finally took them off when I wore the rear bald. I had all kinds of hits on those sidewalls and they still held up. Solid tires.
I am running the new Michelin tires now and have had great luck with them too. They are probaly more similar to Specialized Control tires than the armadillos though. You gotta screw up pretty good to cut those armadillo casings riding normal trails.

Mr Jones

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2007
I used to run the Enduro dual compounds. Ran them till they were almost slicks, then put them on the beach cruiser.... now they are slicks. I've since learned to ride smoother and take better lines, so I can run cheaper tires. Currently rocking the WTB mutano raptors with zero flats in the past 300+ miles.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
The control tires are a pretty good improvement in durability. I'd still buy Maxxis.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
On the first one maybe... but the 2nd tire only had 1:30 of riding on it before it started pissing air... and it wasn't an abusive 1:30... I was doing laps of a fairly smooth race loop and climbing intervals. Definitely wasn't bombing through rock gardens (something I was definitely guilty of on the first failure).