Quantcast

2 versions of the canon xs

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
so i dropped by the mall to pick up a new camara.

they have 2 versions of the canon xs.

the bodies are the same according to the salesperson, except from origin. the main difference is the lens.

one for $706. The body on this one says "made in malaysia" and comes with a 18-55 without IS.

the other for $883. the body says "made in japan" and comes with the 18-55 WITH IS.

both come straight from the peruvian canon dealer, so no gray market or shady warranties/origin to suspect.

the xsi is $1130, so its out of the question.

which one would the RM crowd take? is the difference worth the 25% premium for a novice user? or buy just the body and a better lens?

am going on a 3 week vacation in june (mountaineering, climb a 18300footer and then hopefully climb a 20000ft if time and conditions allow plus some mt biking). so i wanna be shooting as wide as possible landscapes, and sometimes a bit of low light pictures...

Quo Fan

don't make me kick your ass
From what I understand about Canon is that the place of manufacture makes no difference in quality, as all factories that produce Canon equipment have to adhere to Canon's quality standards.

The difference in price is due to the fact that one lens has IS and the other doesn't. Are you going to be shooting in low light without a flash? Then you need IS. If not, then maybe you can get away without IS. Personally, I would get the lens without IS, because the difference in price of the kits is almost the price of the 18-55IS lens itself (from the Canon USA site).

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
The difference is all price. Diff products come out of diff factories depending on their life cycles. Ie early in production it may come out of japan, and then later on it it's life cycle have production moved to another factory.