Quantcast

2 weeks w/o fast food and cabonated drinks

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
that's right, 2 weeks since i've indulged in any fast food, or had a sody pop...actually, i don't think i've had any alcohol, either. i really want some french fries. damn kidney stone had to totally trash my psyche.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
the Inbred said:
that's right, 2 weeks since i've indulged in any fast food, or had a sody pop...actually, i don't think i've had any alcohol, either. i really want some french fries. damn kidney stone had to totally trash my psyche.
You have a kidney stone? Ouch.

I don't drink/smoke. Soda is my only vice. I will give it up when I am dead.

splat

Nam I am
the Inbred said:
damn kidney stone had to totally trash my psyche.
Every time I feel the slightest pain in my Side I seam to guzzle a gallon of water, and call my Uroligist. it actually came in handy that I had done that Just prior to my Lyme diease , becasue they were going to do a cat scan of my Belly , and I had just had one done 3 weeks prior , so it was one less test they did when trying to figure out what i had.

edit : Yeah Soda is my Big Vice , I have cut way back on it , but I can't get rid of it all together. , but I have added a Lot ( and I mean alot ) more water to my Diet , the only problem is now I am Peeing all the time ! and It shows even after tough work outs I am still peeing clear!

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
the Inbred said:
That's a good thing...not the kidney stone, but the fact that you're off fast food and sody pop. Once you're off fast food for a while, when you do indulge, it is going to taste terrible! Your body will try to reject it.

Get well soon!

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
the Inbred said:
Did the doctors tell you to avoid that stuff, or are you doing it on your own? I've had several kidney stones and was never told to avoid soda or fast food. Beer, yes, soda and fast foods, no. Perhaps your stone had a different composition than mine did...

splat

Nam I am
jacksonpt said:
Did the doctors tell you to avoid that stuff, or are you doing it on your own? I've had several kidney stones and was never told to avoid soda or fast food. Beer, yes, soda and fast foods, no. Perhaps your stone had a different composition than mine did...
When I had mine , my Doc told me to "limit" my soda intake. also Told me that diet Soda is like 4 X worse than regular stuff

Raaar

Monkey
Sep 13, 2004
I hear ya man, my wife & I have gone anti-fast food. Caffeine & ice cream are my two vices (Gots' to have one in the morning & one at night :D ), but I did away with non-diet drinks, other sweets, etc and guzzle water all the time.

In fact, I read a book "Eating for Life" & half ass adopted the nutrition plan in there (eating six times a day, portion size, etc). Hard to say about results. I slacked off on the weights and adopted more running & road riding...went from 230 (not much fat) to 190 (less fat) (at 6'3") in about seven months. On the bright side, I'm faster on my bike...on the down side I'm not as intimidating ;) .

Incubus

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
Boston, MA
I haven't had soda in about a year. (drink coffee and beer like it's going out of style though.) And besides a couple of visits to the in-n-out when I'm in a west coast state lucky enough to have one, I haven't had fast food in about 14 years. Getting through the first month or two is the toughest, then the cravings will subside.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
ouch, a kidney stone? I've heard that any kind of problems with the kidneys can be one of the most painful things you'll ever have to endure. I believe it now after having pylonephritus (an acute kidney infection). Good luck!

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Incubus said:
I haven't had soda in about a year. (drink coffee and beer like it's going out of style though.) And besides a couple of visits to the in-n-out when I'm in a west coast state lucky enough to have one, I haven't had fast food in about 14 years.
:stupid:
Getting through the first month or two is the toughest, then the cravings will subside.
Yep - just like TV. :p

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
stoney98 said:
have you lost weight yet?
i don't know. the scale i have in my bathroom is a little sketch, but it looks to be about 3 or 4lbs.

splat said:
I am Peeing all the time !
yeah, man. 1.5hr long classes are horrible now. half-way through, i feel like i'm about to explode. by the time i get to the bathroom, i'm in there relieving myself quite a while. kind of awkward when other people come in, go, wash, then leave, while i'm still at the urinal.

jacksonpt said:
Did the doctors tell you to avoid that stuff, or are you doing it on your own?
my own. the stone just kind of freaked me out a little. i'm gradually getting back to drinking the normal allowance of milk, too. the doc didn't tell me anything. i am 99% sure it was/ they were (a) calcium oxolate stone(s), based on their characteristics. i have another appointment in 4 weeks, and that's when i get back the test results. i don't know if i'm going to go, though. my insurance didn't cover the ER visit, or the first appointment. money was already tight, but now, it's getting really bad. the University's health services weren't able to help me because of a glitch in their system, telling them i was no longer a student. that sucked.

bluebug32 said:
can be one of the most painful things you'll ever have to endure.
i guess i got lucky. it hurt enough for me to seek the ER for the first time in my life, but it wasn't as bad as i was expecting.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
In a couple weeks, I'm done with soda, red meat & booze. I drink too much soda, and am looking for a replacement beverage other than water that is tasty, good for you but lower in sugar that fruit juice. Anyone?

clancy98

Monkey
Dec 6, 2004
i am drinking country time lemonade right now. Probably not much better, but real lemonade would be.

congrats on dropping the fast food & soda. I would be fast food free if Chipotle's burritos weren't so delicious and enticing. Soda is a tough one, but you're making me want to try it...

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
About three months ago, I cut back my fastfood significantly and started to eat a little better and exercise just a little more. I wasn't really doing anything major and I wasn't paying attention, it didn't feel like I was putting much effort into these things. A few weeks ago my g/f suggested I weigh myself and I had lost 10-12#.

Just goes to show ya what only a little improvement can do over some months.

clancy98

Monkey
Dec 6, 2004
I just assumed it was. They dont have a drive thru though?!

And its real chicken, so maybe not?

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
stinkyboy said:
<snip> and am looking for a replacement beverage other than water that is tasty, good for you but lower in sugar that fruit juice. Anyone?
What we do with our kids:

Water down a fruit juice that you like. Cut it like 50% with water. That $hit's too sweet anyways at full strength.........

Why you giving up the red meat & booze? Nothing better than this:

:drool:

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
the Inbred said:
my own. the stone just kind of freaked me out a little. i'm gradually getting back to drinking the normal allowance of milk, too. the doc didn't tell me anything. i am 99% sure it was/ they were (a) calcium oxolate stone(s), based on their characteristics. i have another appointment in 4 weeks, and that's when i get back the test results. i don't know if i'm going to go, though. my insurance didn't cover the ER visit, or the first appointment. money was already tight, but now, it's getting really bad. the University's health services weren't able to help me because of a glitch in their system, telling them i was no longer a student. that sucked.
All of mine have been calcium oxolate (I'm 29 and have had 4 stones - I passed 3 and had one *wince* removed). Doctor told me to lay off the beer and the cranberry juice, and to drink way more than normal (said I am/was constantly dehydrated - I pee about 3 times a day), especially citrus juices... something about the acid helping to keep the basic calcium from building up.

rooftest

Monkey
Jul 10, 2005
OC, CA
stevew said:
You have a kidney stone? Ouch.

I don't drink/smoke. Soda is my only vice. I will give it up when I am dead.
:stupid:

I had to give up coffee a few years back, so soda's my only source of caffeine now.

Re: diet soda - you only need to look at the label to know it's bad for you - I always shy away from eating/drinking anything where I look at the ingredients and have no idea what more than 5 of them are.