Quantcast

20 and 26 frame idea

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
ok so we all know how horizontal dropouts work, what if (chain and brakes aside) somebody made really large ones that would fit a 20 and 26. it could be V brakes for the 20 and disc for the 26. all geo would be in between and probably work well.

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
horrible horrible idea. would never work. fork lengths, cranks length. etc etc etc etc would all be so ****ed up it would be like riding a razor scooter. plus to make the dropouts strong enough they would have to weight a **** ton and look like dick

v-digit

Turbo Monkey
Apr 3, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
so everytime you want to ride a 20" or a 26" you have to change wheels, fork, brakes, bars +++ ???
sounds like fun, by the time you're done swapping **** over you already finished a six pack and your girl is like "hey baby, dinner is done, please dont let the chicken get cold" and you're like "aight baby, one second!!!......ah **** it. lets get more beer after dinner, i'm not riding tonight."

pain

Monkey
Mar 15, 2006
so everytime you want to ride a 20" or a 26" you have to change wheels, fork, brakes, bars +++ ???
sounds like fun, by the time you're done swapping **** over you already finished a six pack and your girl is like "hey baby, dinner is done, please dont let the chicken get cold" and you're like "aight baby, one second!!!......ah **** it. lets get more beer after dinner, i'm not riding tonight."
nah this is the kid that can tear down and rebuild his whole bike in 30 minutes

v-digit

Turbo Monkey
Apr 3, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
nah this is the kid that can tear down and rebuild his whole bike in 30 minutes
30mins, ok, then you only had 2 beers, workin on your third.

of course, that could be done. but then u still have all these parts layin around as opposed to a sexy 26" and a sexy 20" chillin, full of hope that one of them will be ridden.

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
man... :disgust:
...you just explained what happened to me not even a few hours ago. WHY can't they just understand the "one second, I'm busy... " part a little clearer... ? I know dinner is ready and I'm glad you made it, but just hold up while I finish this one thing... seriously.

Anyway, some pretty innovative thinking going on here... but realistically, the way the industry is right now, everything is pretty much in anti-versatility mode to the full effect. Specialization and extremely specific bikes are the way everyone seems to be going.
The benefits here would be near none, and you would pay for it in more ways than one.
how about a matching fork with two sets of dropouts right above eachother on the leg? Might be a fun project, but not much more than that.

allsk8sno

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
Bellingham, WA
i've thought about taking an older bomber or RS and making some dropouts that are up for 20" and 24" then you could stick it on kids bike and 24"cruiser...but i don't have access to a machine shop anymore