Quantcast

20 GB iPod vs. iRiver iHP-120

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
spookymilk said:
Oh god I love this thing! It definately exceeded my expectations. It's easy to use, has great sound and Rio Music Manager is just as easy as iTunes!
you have shown yourself to be one of the unwashed masses through your statement. :oink: ;)

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Spookmilk - make sure you have the latest firmware and rio manager software - you can download them from their website.

Even better for Rio, Creative, Dell, iRiver, and Apple users is Redchair software products - better than iTunes or RMM:

http://www.redchairsoftware.com/

I've had alot of experience with employees V3 and V4 iPod at my company. The iPod experience on the PC, especially with the Firewire connection is by no means easy and is slow and buggy compared to the various (RCA, Creative, iRiver, and Rio players I've setup). Touchpad interfaces died out from other electronics over a decade ago for good reason. Nobody likes the no button Apple mouse either :P

Yesterday I was setting a new v4 - VP IT researcher who had a v4 iPod said he liked my Rio Karma better and was thinking of returning his iPod.

V1 Karma vs. V4 iPod
Karma is lighter, 50% great battery life, cheaper, gapless, more formats, more open, more ergonomic, and faster.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
Should have got the I-River IMHO.

:)

Enjoy your player though, whatever anyone says it's just a hard drive with headphones at the end of the day.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Silver said:
No AAC support on the Karma though...

If they add that, I think I'll get one (especially when the 40 gig comes out.)

I'm lazy and like iTunes...stick the CD in, everything rips automagically. No more futzing around with EAC and an encoder, and then tagging stuff.
EAC/LAME is free, pretty easy to setup, and gives flawless rips and encodes. tag and rename is a great program (not free but worth the $25 if you have a lot of mp3s which need tag fixing). i haven't used the godfather but that is supposed to be good as well.

the rio karma is a great player, no qualms about buying one. the sound quality really is good, the features very nice, and i've used it quite a bit. never did think that 20GB wouldn't be enough, but if they made a 40GB one i'd get that.

just got a 300GB external hard drive for my home system... :cool:

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
hmmm...not sure i'd need a vid screen for my portable, but you never know.

anyone ever run their mp3 player in teh car? i bought a voltage inductor to change from DC to AC, so i could power the player, but there's a very annoying hum. anyway to eliminate this?