Quantcast

20 lbs in 28 days

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Well, I have been hitting the trainer 4-5 times a week and the bowflex 2-3 times a week. I have been eating right and getting a lot of sleep. I have now lost 20 lbs in 28 days. I went from 194 to 174 and Im 5'9". People are telling me... that is too fast to lose weight but, I haven;t really starved myself. I just use to eat real bad and now I have been really watching it. Opinions on losing weight this fast......

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Kanter said:
Well, I have been hitting the trainer 4-5 times a week and the bowflex 2-3 times a week. I have been eating right and getting a lot of sleep. I have now lost 20 lbs in 28 days. I went from 194 to 174 and Im 5'9". People are telling me... that is too fast to lose weight but, I haven;t really starved myself. I just use to eat real bad and now I have been really watching it. Opinions on losing weight this fast......
I have done pretty close to that, and for the most part it stayed off. It just depends on your body type and how close the athlete in you was close to the top if that makes sense. I went from 225-175 in a span of about 3 months. There were some mitigating factors that helped, including breaking up with my fiance' and doing nothing but working out and riding my bike. I was an athletic person in college, but had gained all the weight from becoming "Office Space."

Good job

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
If you have a really really horrible diet but good base fitness I could see you losing 20 lbs of fat but you must have put on some muscle weight. Considering muscle weight you probably have lost even more fat. Just make sure you are getting enough protein, you may need over 100 grams of the stuff a day.

Jayridesacove

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2004
Falls Church, VA
It's sort of fast, but you just need to keep eating so you have enough energy to feed your muscles during effort.

When I was in Marine Corps recruit training back in 99, we burned hella calories each day. I came in at around 175 with like 20% body fat and after graduation, I weighed 148 with around 5% body fat. And that was over 13 weeks with 8 hours of sleep each day.

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
If this is your first time really concentrating on loosing weight you could easily loose 10 pounds in water and then 10 in fat. If this continues into the maintenance cycle (after initial weight loss) you will likely be burning muscle and fat.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Roasted said:
If this is your first time really concentrating on loosing weight you could easily loose 10 pounds in water and then 10 in fat. If this continues into the maintenance cycle (after initial weight loss) you will likely be burning muscle and fat.
I've put on a good 15 lbs over this unseasonably cold (and long. and snowy.) winter, and want to drop it before Sea Otter so I don't look disgusting in XC gear and so I'm not dead by the first 10 miles...

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I just want to ride this summer to the best of my ability. I ride way better in the 175-180 range than in the 195-200 range.......

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
blue said:
I'm wanting to drop 10-15 in about a month. Mwaha. Here we go...

I want to lose about 13% of my body fat. I could care less how much I weigh though. The weather is now good, so let the games begin

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Man, I can really tell I lost the weight when I ride uphill. I can pedal much longer before I stop and have to walk. I feel so much better. After a long ride, Im not as tired either. I know some of it has to do with training but not carrying an extra 20 lbs up the hill is nice. It seems like I have hit a stable weight of about 175. This must be the weight I should stay at.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Kanter said:
Man, I can really tell I lost the weight when I ride uphill. I can pedal much longer before I stop and have to walk. I feel so much better. After a long ride, Im not as tired either. I know some of it has to do with training but not carrying an extra 20 lbs up the hill is nice. It seems like I have hit a stable weight of about 175. This must be the weight I should stay at.
I'm debating about going anoerexic before SO...by the time it rolls around, it will have warmed up enough for rides, and then I can eat again and my weight will stabilize ;)

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Ive been sick now for about 7-8 days. I hate not being able to work out. Once I can breathe again, Ill be hitting the bowflex and trainer again. It snowed about a foot in the last week too.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Ive gained a few pounds but I am definatley staying in shape. I hover between 175-180 so I think this is my ideal weight. It seems to be a real pain to get under 175lbs. People talk about an ideal or plateau weight.... Is there such a thing? Im starting to think so.

JSB

Monkey
Apr 8, 2004
Flower Mound, Texas
I made a new years resolution to loose 30lbs by July. So far I have sucked! I lost 8 the first month 2 the second, 3 the third. I've been sick 2 times during this time including right now. My diet hasn't changed completely, but I'n definitely not eating as bad. I'm feeling discouraged, and have been seeing stacker 2 comercials, and it's been making me think. I really would like to stay away from that crap though. I have a hard time staying away from diet coke. I get bad head aches if I don't. Any recommendations. I also have a sweet tooth. I've always had it. Now it's becoming a problem since the metabolism isn't kicking like it used to. Anyway, I've been riding between 200 and 100 miles a month, with working out lightly in between. With Office Space, and home and kids, it's hard to fit any more time in. BTW I'm 212 5'11". I'd like to hit 190.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
This is an inspiring thread.

I've gained about 20#'s in my first 2 years of marriage. I think that my wife and I are too good to each other. "Would you like an ice cream sunday?" "why yes dear I would..." and so it goes. I ride almost every day (at least a short ride for 1 hour or so). Some days I got to the gym but with the spring weather that's not happening. If the gym was outside I might go... I usually hike 10-15 miles one day a week as well and I am just not loosing any weight. I'm about 6-4 and right now I go between 210 and 220 lbs. I'd like to get to between 190 and 200 lbs or 185. 185 would be nice.

I'm trying to modify my diet but it is hard. I've cut back on the sweets for the most part. That wasn't too hard. I find that I am usually really active on the weekends and then I am super hungry for the first couple days of the week even though my activity cuts back a lot. I think it is this yo-yo of activity levels an corresponding binge eating that is screwing me up.

Does anybody have any tips for gearing up for the weekend and winding down gracefully for the work week?

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Dont eat after 7pm at night, easy on the beer, no sweets, exercise 3-4 times a week, lots of sleep, no chips, no cookies, no salt.... no fun;) well except for riding.

I do the same as you. I eat well for a few days then I eat everything in sight. I see only two options.

1.eat what ya want and exercise everyday like a madman
2.watch what ya eat and exercise in moderation.

I think those are the only two options for guys that like to eat and I love to eat.