Quantcast

20 mm front axle "burn" marks?

Elvis

Chimp
Sep 13, 2001
F-ing Miami
Has anyone noticed "burn" marks from the bearings on their 20mm axles? I know that the first thing to suspect are the hub bearings but they spin freely. I showed it to a shop buddy and he said it could have been caused by heat. Although i do alot of brake assisted nose manuals I dont suspect it was cause by heat. I tried to clean marks from the axle but it seems stained on. The axle is alum. and the marks are blackish-brown and have a swirl patter around the axle. Again, I know it sounds like bearing failure but they spin butter smooth. Some play has developed between the front hub and the axle, but its not much. Has anyone seen this before? Is it possible for the bearings to intermit. fail?:confused:

L

LFB

I don't know what fork you have, but if the fork legs aren't tight up against the hub, the bearings can spin. For example, on a Boxxer fork, the aluminum nut must be tightened into the axle enough so that the side of the bearings are also held in place.

On another note: I have two of those Hayes 22mm hubs and found that the grease in the so-called sealed bearings is crap (and seemingly non-existent) from the factory. Remove the seals and re-pack the bearings with some good stuff. Both of my hubs started making noise due to lack of grease. Your bearings may be seizing, which is what is what could be adding to your problem.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
fastidious! Thats a good word! It pretty much describes my outlook, right on!

On the subject of cool words, the word fustigate is not used enough on these boards, and it could be!

The first meaning (and only in my book, although the dictionary adds more) is to beat with a stick.

Put in context of the DHers vocab:

DUDE, I had a killer race run going, and i blew off the drop up top at about mach six, straight into the woods, and i got totally fustigated bro!!

kinda works!?

dw

Elvis

Chimp
Sep 13, 2001
F-ing Miami
Thanks for the insite Nobody. Normally if the bearings seized I'd expect some type of polishing or wear marks on the axle but it doesnt show any. I now suspect corrosion. Ill update if any other symptoms arrise. Thanks for putting a small worry to rest. Now I can focus on my lack of skill.