Quantcast

20" street frame recomendations

v-digit

Turbo Monkey
Apr 3, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
i would like some recomendations for a bmx frame.
i'm 5-9, this would be my first 20", i would like to build one up over winter for some street/park action.
could ya'll recomend some of the best frames out there. a frame thats very light, but reasonable in price. must have brakes.

t1maglio

Monkey
Oct 29, 2001
southern wisconsin
The S+M LTF is pretty awesome if you want something light, but true to my name I would recommend a T1. Joe backs his products and pretty much everyone I ride with around here has one. They make a few different models, have nice features, good weights, and solid frames. There has to be a reason why there team is so stacked with amazing riders.

sb317

Monkey
Sep 6, 2005
North Carolina
I agree with t1. S&M, T1, as well as FBM have some pretty serious street/park riders so you know their frames can take it. I personally like the look of the T1 moody/hickerson frame. Tiles loves his S&M stricker and it looks very clean and is fun to ride. FBM is going to be making the Garrett Byrnes frame for T1 this year. I've heard some good things about Seshin bikes too. www.seshinbikes.com

Sunday seems to be really popular with the street crowd too.

ebrider510

Monkey
Dec 7, 2006
Bay Area, CA
fit hawk, fly 3 amigos(super cheap right now i think)....you have so many options it's hard to name a few. think about what geo numbers you would like to see and what other parts you plan on using for the build. i named those two frames because they are cheap and light..

oh, and also check out eastern's offerings. their new frames are sick and their old ones are going for cheap..

v-digit

Turbo Monkey
Apr 3, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
how is this Verde Cadet looking as a complete (grey one)? i think its around 26lbs. it seems that it will be possible to fit breaks on it, correct?

t1maglio

Monkey
Oct 29, 2001
southern wisconsin
V-digit, I just have to say that you have a custom built mtb, why get a complete 20". I understand if its a money issue, but if you have the cash your always getting so much more if you do your own thing. I could walk into a local bike shop and ride off on an "off the shelf" Trek or Giant but we all know that lots of times companies skimp on parts. You will pay more to build up your own deal, but you will get exactly what you want, and in the long run I would wager that you will be more happy.

t1maglio

Monkey
Oct 29, 2001
southern wisconsin
I hear ya. Dan's is running some specials, btw.

One good thing about bmx bikes is that they take no time at all to slap together. Simple, solid little bikes. Thats the main reason I switched about 10 years ago, MTB's with all the suspension, gears and brakes can be a pain :-)

freeridekid

Monkey
Oct 18, 2003
U-District, WA
my kink apex complete is sick. it looks sexy, weighs under 24lbs stock, and rides nice and solid. i loved the parts on it (its built like a custom bike) so its still completely stock and i'm perfectly happy with it.

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
I just picked up a superstar new deal not too long ago... got the 20.7 and I'm 5'8". believe it's a taiwan manufactured frame, but I have no beef with that. All the numbers were right for me, even if they are a little eccentric, and I like the strawberry clamp. Price wasn't bad either.
My gf almost got me a fit team street for christmas, but she couldn't find one in stock anywhere. That thing has some serious bang for the buck... and yes, you can install little caliper brakes on them, as well as that verde I believe... they are just center bolt brakes that are actually meant for mounting on front forks... Probably not going to be worth much though.

moody hickerson would be a sweet score too... welded up by maas, same as does the uSB Molly. ;) I remember wanting a t1 so bad back in the 90's, was so stoked to get my hands on a "tiny" little 36t t1 sprocket for my wtp, haha!

Kink Lost dutchman was another I was pondering...

New wethepeople frames have some nice numbers and even better weights.

colony hell stallion... or wait for the new sunday with the integrated pivotal post welded on...

Fly Tierra is pretty new-wave, super short and steep geo. Probably feel like riding a squirrel though, haha.

lots of options, just depends on the numbers you want, weight you want, if you want pegs/brakes, etc.... 13.75 CS and 11.5-11.7bb seems to be around the norm...

seth505

Monkey
Jun 9, 2006
CA
I was just looking at some wethepeople completes at a buddies shop and they are damn nice. $500 or so for a good setup that won't bust in one day of riding anyway.

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY
im feeling midnite bikes, moonlite and streetlite

i would wait for the new seshin sh1thawk. i think its under 250 shipped. product of canada.

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
im feeling midnite bikes, moonlite and streetlite

i would wait for the new seshin sh1thawk. i think its under 250 shipped. product of canada.
midnite's are solid bikes (the brand) which is good shiz from what I hear.

sesh's are products of taiwan, sold from Canada. Regardless, I like Ted's simplistic business plan and I heard his cs was top notch.

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
midnite's are solid bikes (the brand) which is good shiz from what I hear.

sesh's are products of taiwan, sold from Canada. Regardless, I like Ted's simplistic business plan and I heard his cs was top notch.

wait, am I reading wrong... or are you saying that "midnite" bikes are made by "Solid Bikes"... as in Aaron over in Cali?

I saw they were US made, and I really dug that SUPER low top tube height on the Trail frame, but for some reason I thought it was a danscomp thing since I've only seen them available there...

by the way, that Seshin deal is a steal, man that's good!

warrior1

Chimp
Aug 30, 2007
The new Sh*thawk is coming out in March as far as I know. It has removable brake mounts, cable routing, & gyro tabs. A built in pivotal post (like the Ian Sunday for '08) will be an option also. Integrated headset, Mid BB. Basically you can't go wrong.

The reason Seshin stuff is so cheap, is because Ted runs it out of his house. He designs a part, gets it made in Taiwan, shipped to him, and he sells it off of www.seshinbikes.com.

There's no middle man involved, so less hands in the pot. You pay less money for this reason. He started the company to save riders money and still have you riding something quality.

So yeah, they are a great frames and come at a cheap price. The company is legit. The V1 Sh*thawks went on sale for an amazing price and sold out. The Megatrons that are on sale now are a great price too, but no one is buying because of the regular headset. Limited options left though..

Anyway, I am shocked Sunday hasn't been brought up in a thread about a street frame. I'll say with confidence that the '07 Sunday is the strongest BMX frame made in years. This is a totally biased suggestion, but the reason I ride one is because it's fact that these can take a beating over and over again. I've seen a lot of 07 ones, and not once heard of a broken one. I can't say that about many frames, especially mass produced like the Sunday Wave.

I'm hoping the '08 holds to that too.

The new WTPs are very nice too. I can dig the United frames.

The Fit Hawks seems to dent really easy. I've heard the newer ones are a bit stronger. But the worse condition frame I ever seen was a Hawk. Turned me right away from them.

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY
To my knowledge, that's correct.
yup solid bikes. solid puts out lots of great stuff, even a local long island/queens, ny brand Arcade Cycles. top notch welds and finishing.

yeah i ment ted runs it out of canada but the fabrication is in taiwain.:poster_oops: seshin really grew on me. ted pays attention to what people want and you cant beat the price.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
There are sooooo many good frames out now you can't really go wrong. find one that has the size you want and color you like and buy it.

as mentioned, Danscomp.com has some great deals on last years frames.

Leethal

Turbo Monkey
Oct 27, 2001
Avondale (Phoenix)
Verde Modus is the ticket for a complete...

If your building from a frame: Sunday, FIT Aitken, Midnight Streetlight, or any T1 would be my recommendation

v-digit

Turbo Monkey
Apr 3, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
that verde modus complete - how light do ya'll think that frame is on its own? would it be worthy of a frame to put upgrades onto in the future i so choose?
building a simlar custom ride would be a 1000$ plus easy, it seems.

Leethal

Turbo Monkey
Oct 27, 2001
Avondale (Phoenix)
There is a local around here with one and it is lighter than even advertised although he changed a few parts, pedals, removed pegs that kind of thing. I would guess it is a 5 to 5.5 lbs frame same as 90% of the others without uber expensive tubing...

sb317

Monkey
Sep 6, 2005
North Carolina
I'm 5'11" and ride a 21 but I ride mainly trails. I've ridden a 20.75 and I think I could be just as comfortable on one that size with a few days to get used to it. Not really an answer for you though.

ebrider510

Monkey
Dec 7, 2006
Bay Area, CA
at your height i would say 20.6-21" would fit well. completes are not a bad idea at all. my take on the idea is if you buy a nice complete for around 600 bucks you will get a really solid set up. you can then upgrade little things if wanted/needed. you will probably end up spending less then a grand all and all getting the bike completely dialed to your liking. if you put together a custom build it will cost you well over a grand and take a while longer.

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY
im 5'11 and on a 20.75. used to ride a 20.6 and it was hard to tell the diff. i'd say 20.75-21.

most completes only offer one size

v-digit

Turbo Monkey
Apr 3, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
after much thinking i decided to go with a complete. since this will be my first ever 20" there is really no need to get a funked out custom and be a complete poser.
i'm thinking about going with a fit flow park or trail bike. i wanted to get a fit team trail, but it comes with a 20.5 tt. my friend suggested i go brakeless off the get go, but i'm kinda worried about that.
those seem like the most bangin completes for about 400-500$, or am i overlookin something much better?

sb317

Monkey
Sep 6, 2005
North Carolina
I started off with a Premium complete and have upgraded as I can. It's actually pretty fun that way so you can see what kind of weight savings you can get. I've dropped from a little over 28lbs new to right around 25lbs now after changing some parts out. The only thing I have left stock now is the frame, front/rear hub and rear rim. The Fit bikes seem really nice as usual. As said before the Kink Apex looks legit and I'll go ahead and plug Premium even though it seems people don't like them as much as the others. Mine's done fine.

ebrider510

Monkey
Dec 7, 2006
Bay Area, CA
after much thinking i decided to go with a complete. since this will be my first ever 20" there is really no need to get a funked out custom and be a complete poser.
i'm thinking about going with a fit flow park or trail bike. i wanted to get a fit team trail, but it comes with a 20.5 tt. my friend suggested i go brakeless off the get go, but i'm kinda worried about that.
those seem like the most bangin completes for about 400-500$, or am i overlookin something much better?
i'd go with the flow trail out of those two..i like the big bars and straight cable. i wouldn't go brakeless right away..although i find it easier to ride brakeless on a 20" rather then on big wheels.

grom-dom

Turbo Monkey
Jun 27, 2006
Chapel Thrill
umm imo good frames out there right now the fit frames. light tight and the price is right.

the hawk, eddie, and dehart frames are all super dialed. the eddie has 2.25 tire clearance too. and you can get it with mounts. im prob gonna pick one up with mounts. well i want to

grom-dom

Turbo Monkey
Jun 27, 2006
Chapel Thrill
btw the flow trail is awesome! i have one, it's sick!

i'm really digging mine. i'm prob going to build myself a bike or something next year depending on how this thing holds up. it's 26lbs which is a tad heavy but if i change the wheelset it should drop a bit o weight. i want some white rims

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY
fit trails look great. i wouldnt get a brakeless complete. just take the brakes off if you dont want to use em. good to have options plus caliper brakes suck.

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
Don't want to speak for him, but I think he's referring to the liability required, included center-bolt side-pull caliper brakes that come with most of these "brakeless" completes. Just junk brakes that are actually meant for installation on front forks, in that little hole in the crown area... you know what I'm talking about?

oh, sniped by the digit with one min. to go...