Quantcast

$200 worth of toys on layaway at K-Mart, WTF?

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
spanish link from local newspaper.
http://elcomercio.pe/economia/1349329/noticia-peruano-gasta-dos-mil-soles-decorar-su-casa-navidad

it says the average family spends $700 on xmas expenses/decoration. this is on a per capita gdp (ppp) of a bit less than $10000/year. its safe to assume $200 could go for toys for kids...
From the article it doesn't seem to include gifts, this is more like xmas trees, decorations, wreaths, xmas figurines, etc.

We don't really care about total expenditures on the whole family (family size is likely larger than US too). There is no way we could figure out how much is spent on very young family members either (like 4 year olds). Remember we are talking 4 year olds here, not 8 or even 6 year olds. I bet most people can't remember what they got or other specific details when they were 4.

Last edited:

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
People in a poor economic situation will sometimes splurge on things that don't make sense from a middle class perspective. When you live hand to mouth all the time, occasionally giving your kids something that would normally be out of reach becomes a big, big deal. It's as much a validation for the parents as anything else. Being poor ****ing sucks.

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
You know, I wish these proclaimed "Secret Santas" would have made anonymous donations to St. Judes, their local food bank, or any other number of charities that need the money to do good work instead of paying off bills for plastic crap imported from China that the kids will break or forget about by next Tuesday.

I hate people sometimes.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
You know, I wish these proclaimed "Secret Santas" would have made anonymous donations to St. Judes, their local food bank, or any other number of charities that need the money to do good work instead of paying off bills for plastic crap imported from China that the kids will break or forget about by next Tuesday.

I hate people sometimes.
Hey there's an idea!