Quantcast

2000 Heckler front derail rubbing chain in multiple gears.

Hey everyone,
This has been buggin me for the past two rides.

The chain seems to be rubbing on the derailuer in my lowest cog and in my second cog when I am torgquing on my pedals. I have adjusted the deraileur further out but it doesn't stop the noise and then I can't get into the second cog.

A mechanic friend suggested that I raise the derailuer, I did, no change.

Anyone have any ideas on what the problem may be here?

That was my first adjustment. I set it more loose, then it wouldn't shift into the second cog, more tight and the opposite would happen. Once I got it shifting perfectly it would rub. Could this situation be caused by a bent rear derailuer hanger?

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
When you say cog, are you referring to the front chainrings or the rear cogs?

Are you using the limit screws to adjust the front derailleur or undoing the cable clamp bolt?

If the deraileur is four years old and it just started rubbing, it may be time for a new deraileur. It may be sticking a little as it relies on spring tension to shift down.

A bent hanger would not affect the front deraileur. Did you put new rear cogs on recently?

Wumpus said:
When you say cog, are you referring to the front chainrings or the rear cogs?

Are you using the limit screws to adjust the front derailleur or undoing the cable clamp bolt?

If the deraileur is four years old and it just started rubbing, it may be time for a new deraileur. It may be sticking a little as it relies on spring tension to shift down.

A bent hanger would not affect the front deraileur. Did you put new rear cogs on recently?
Front chainring. Cable clamp bolt. A tech at the LBS today stuck a screwdriver in the deraileur and bent it back toward the rear cogs. That seemed to do the trick. It is rubbing minimally now. He also said that it could just be because of frame flex, since it only happens when I am climbing. What do you guys think?

I am using XT shifters btw and an XT front ad rear derail.