Quantcast

2001: A Space Odyssey

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Ok, Id never seen this movie before last night and all that comes to mind is a big WTF? :confused: :confused: :confused:

The part with the monkey freaking out on the pile of bones was, Im pretty sure, the pinnacle of movie making in our lifetime. I swear to god, I've never laughed so hard in my entire life. I was actually crying.

I got the overall jist (sp:confused: ) of the movie, but the end....WTF:confused: The fetus? The seeing himself older and older?

I dunno, usually Im good at picking up on stuff....but wow, Im just lost.

When it was first released, I had the same reaction that you did. All special effects (consider the year before laughing), no content.

It seemed to be a pastiche of various science fiction stories that started nowhere and and went nowhere. Not on my list of films to see a second time.

J

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Originally posted by bushwacker
It's one of those movies that doesn't make any sense unless you read the book it's based off of first.
yup and i hate those types of movies. 2001 makes more sense when you see the other movie and I even read 3001... which was kinda cool on it's own. Didn't read the other two.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Originally posted by bushwacker
It's one of those movies that doesn't make any sense unless you read the book it's based off of first.
.......or have eaten half a ten strip of gel tabs. :evil:

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Originally posted by LordOpie
yup and i hate those types of movies. 2001 makes more sense when you see the other movie and I even read 3001... which was kinda cool on it's own. Didn't read the other two.
Other 3, bro. Sorry, but I'm a huge nerd. 2001, 2010, 2061 then 3001.

Book makes more sense than the movie but is still ambiguous. The end will still be odd. The rest of the deal makes much more sense, though.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
The part of the movie where he becomes the fetus just creeps me out.

Just like in this music video. For some reason it really disturbs me.

It is really a masterpiece though...

And then when you are done with that, you watch the german version:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
For the most part I don't like Sci Fi stuff. Generally too much stupid pew pew pew and splosions. But this book ,this movie was solid.

Somewhat realistic and the really bat shit moments could be analogs for deep introspective moments that one may experience if alone and a million miles away from home.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Fuck, the song is just so disturbing to me after seeing the 2001 version...I can't help it.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Fuck, the song is just so disturbing to me after seeing the 2001 version...I can't help it.

If you can get through the moments of pointless intricate noodling, good stuff.

Edit: tried listening to it. Used to like it. Noting but pointless intricate noodling to me anymore. It would seem I need more bong shed in my life.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
For the most part I don't like Sci Fi stuff. Generally too much stupid pew pew pew and splosions. But this book ,this movie was solid.

Somewhat realistic and the really bat shit moments could be analogs for deep introspective moments that one may experience if alone and a million miles away from home.
Usually, I'm looking for a unique concept that hasn't been played out a bunch of times before, or at least a very cleverly disguised one. Like Chronicals of Riddick, kind of fun, like nothing I'd seen before. Couldn't say it was Star Wars or Star Trek, but lots of pew-pew. Then came the last movie (since I travel so much I catch up on the airline flights) which was basically the same....exactly the same, as the first movie. That's a piece of shit. Not to say that that the COR was some sort of masterpiece, but it was an example of being unique and different. Oblivion comes to mind, since it was playing on the TV last week in Texas. 5th Element back in the day too, again, very different from anything else with a lot of unique concepts and design.

I'm beginning to think the same thing about the new Star Wars too, the original series had a lot of purity, Jedi-way, etc. The series 1-3 did something important, it introduced something different and wasn't exactly the same as the original series. The newest one seems to be an exact-rehash of Episode IV, which is really troubling. Same plot, same theme, same way to defeat the bad guys, etc. That's disappointing and the opposite of what I think a good Sci-Fi should be.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
For the most part I don't like Sci Fi stuff. Generally too much stupid pew pew pew and splosions..
Judging by your carefully constructed online persona you strike me as one of the few people that i could wholeheartedly recommend Primer to. Admittedly it doesn't have any lizards, but it's still pretty good.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Judging by your carefully constructed online persona you strike me as one of the few people that i could wholeheartedly recommend Primer to. Admittedly it doesn't have any lizards, but it's still pretty good.

Will have to check it out. I am sure there are lizards involved, not on screen but pulling the strings that make us all dance.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
Will have to check it out. I am sure there are lizards involved, not on screen but pulling the strings that make us all dance.
Two things you should know beforehand:
1. The movie cost less than a new crabon enderpo bike.
2. Not reading anything about the plot beforehand greatly increases one's potential enjoyment.