Quantcast

2001 Boxxer top crown problems

Ride or Die

Chimp
Jul 8, 2002
bay area, ca
Ok, so i know someone else, if not a lot of people, have had problems with the top crown on a 2001 Boxxer......specifically, fitting very tight and having to be hammered in and hammered out to get off. Well, i just took the fork off my bike again and was wondering if anyone had any tips on getting the crown on easier? I don't really have the money to buy a Romic crown or anything, but if there is some cheaper alternatives, hit me up. My buddy and I reamed the the crown a bit thinking it would slide on easier, but it didn't! p.o.s.! Very frustrated with this design. Someone else told me to take the bolts out and screw them in from the opposite side while putting a penny or something in the slot where the crown is supposed to contract to get tighter.....that didn't work just ended up putting a hole in the penny. Any help would be great.

-Tone

usfddeke

Chimp
Mar 12, 2003
hey,
i had the same problem with mine. as for getting it on, i just rubber malleted the hell out of it. then i took it to my LBS and they laughed there asses off. there trick is to use a heat gun... to heat up the upper crown and they say it just slides on like butter. if ya dont have a heat gun, i suggest a hammer

Ride or Die

Chimp
Jul 8, 2002
bay area, ca
Hey, thanks for the tip. I'll have to try that one next time. Some other people from the downhill and ds forum told me to use some oil on the inside of the crown and take the top caps off the fork. Then use a rubber mallet to hammer it on. Those three tips worked really well and it went on pretty damn easily.

-Tone