Quantcast

2001 Santa Cruz Bullit shock

Bullit Fiend

Chimp
Oct 5, 2001
B'ham WA
I heard you can get 7.5" of travel out of a bullit if you put a shock on it made by Stratos. I think its called the Stratos helix shock. I was wondering if riding the bike with 7.5" of travel instead of the normal 6" would put an abnormal ammount of stress on the frame. Any help on this topic would be appreciated.

Freak

Aug 15, 2001
Redmond, Washington
as far as I know, I don't think that Stratos is selling that setup anymore.....

If I were you, I would wait til Santa Cruz sells the upgrade with the new 5th element shock...Should be available at the beginning of the new year....

KonaDude

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Victoria, BC, Canada.
I've heard good things about the upgrade. It apparently gets you 7.1" of travel. The downside is that you aren't able to use the geometry chip that currently goes between the shock and front end of the frame. This leaves you using a 6mm shock bolt that's more prone to bending/breaking.

That said, it wouldn't likely put much (if any) more stress into the frame. Loads might be in slightly different directions, but only off by a little bit. You still are running similar leverage.

What's wrong with your 6" though? I'm riding no rear travel and I'm going bigger than I ever did on my FS bike.