Quantcast

2002 Monster T rebuild....

ghettogt76

Monkey
Dec 5, 2001
Pleasant Hill, Kali'fo'nya
I searched and didn't find anything really, except to use showa fork oil. Anyway, I am about to rebuild my 2002 monster T, probably just do the seals, bushings and oil. Anywhere to get directions on how to do this/torque specs for the internals of the fork? I just don't want to screw something up and have my fork fall apart on me at N* (which happened before:angry: ). Thanks for any tips or advice.

Shanks

Chimp
Jan 3, 2004
Ontario, Canada
You can use any fork oil in a monster T. They come stock with Golden Spectro 7.5 WT oil. I believe the oil height is 100mm from the top compressed all the way no springs in it. Get a second quaot though its been a while since weve seen a monster T.

Lay you parts out in order as you take it apart.

- Taking apart is easy. 1mm alan key to undo the pre load nob.
- Pop the C clip under it and dont loose it! Then undo the top cap. The adjuster cap may fall in, thats fine.
- At this point cycle the fork and pour the oil out of the legs.
- Undo the bottom nuts and watch for more oil coming out. One they are out you can pull the stantion tube with the cartridge in it.
- Slide the cartridge out the top (it will come out on its own)

- Next you basicly soak everything in degreaser to clean the crap off. I use a cut pop bottle filled with degreaser and stick one end of the cartridge in it and cycle the rod. Cleans the shims and valving inside. Dont bother taking it apart. If you need these instructions to understand your fork the inside of that cartridge is toooooooooo complicated for you.

- Use a flat blade to pry the seals out. The oil seal will have a snap ring holding it in. to reinstall new seals pust evenly around the edges (I use a shimano BB) Your bushings will be fine. Theyre covered in oil all the time. Save your money!

Put it back together in the reverse order above and fill er up. As for torques. no mumbers needed, Turn untill it feels tight.

SuperCatBarf

Chimp
Jul 20, 2004
OR
This thread is a bit dated, but if anyone happens to need this info, it is actually a 1.5mm allen key needed to undo the preload knob. Otherwise, follow what Shanks said. :)

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
Uh, I'd torque everything to some manufacturer specified torque. No sense in over torking something and destroying the fork, other than that it all sounds good.