Quantcast

2002 MountainCycle San Andreas HELP!!!!

markg0410

Chimp
Jan 16, 2009
I recently discovered that a hair line crack has developed on the derailleur hanger of my San Andreas. I know that this is a stretch but does anyone out there have the complete swing arm for such a frame to sell?

I want to keep riding this bike and will pay what it is worth!!!

Hougham

Monkey
Mar 28, 2007
If no one has a used on and if Mountain Cycles no longer stock replacements you can most likely get it welded back up. I have repaired a fair few frames my self and often made them stronger then they originally were. Any good frame builder or aircraft welder should be able to sort it out for you.

markg0410

Chimp
Jan 16, 2009
Hougham -

Thanks for the help. I have found a metalworks shop here in town that can fix it. However, they need to know which alloy is used on this frame - any idea?

Mark

Hougham

Monkey
Mar 28, 2007
I believe there just a normal six thousand series aluminium. Its a standard aircraft alloy that is common place, They should have filler rods in stock. You can always give Mountian Cycles a call to be on the safe side. You will want them to be using a TIG welder with a AC current to stick it back together for you. Generally a crate of beer would cover the cost of a fix it job like that.
:cheers:

markg0410

Chimp
Jan 16, 2009
Yes, I have a shop here and they are all ready to go (though they accept only cash not beer - damn!). While they will proceed with a general idea of what the frame is comprised of they would prefer a definite alloy.

Not being a student of metals and frame construction - how many 'varieties' of 6000 series are there?

Hougham

Monkey
Mar 28, 2007
I could not tell you a exact ally though a quick goodle search looks to have it as 6061-T6 but best to contact Mountain Cycles if you want to be exact. May as well ask them if you they have any spare arms when your on the phone to them. I am positive they can still do them as they did a small run of full frames not that long ago. Worth a call anyhow

markg0410

Chimp
Jan 16, 2009
My Googling skills have failed me!

Mountain Cycle does not have any older models of swing arms in stock. They are in the process of creating a 'conversion' kit that will allow someone in my place to replace the swing arm with a newer version but that will not come to fruition for a few months.

Again, thanks so much!