Quantcast

2002 Santa Cruz Bullit......cracked chainstay

viper2pt0

Chimp
Mar 22, 2005
Somers, NY
Hey guys, Im new to the forums here, I was shown this site by a friend of mine....anyway...I have a 2002 Santa Cruz Bullit, and while I was getting it ready today for the upcoming season, I noticed that my chainstay was cracked.....:(....I emailed Santa Cruz, but they probably wont do anything since the bike is 3 years old now, and since I really have no money to buy a new swingarm, unless I find one for fairly cheap, I was wondering if I could bring it to an aluminum welder and have the crack welded over?....I attached some pics to give you a better idea. The crack is on the bottom of the driveside chainstay right by the weld where the dropout is attached.

click for larger image:

jmeperu

Monkey
Jan 20, 2005
Santa Cruz
santa cruz has a lifetime no fault crash replacement warrenty. that means if you are the original owner and the frame breaks out of warrenty that they will sell you a replacement part for uber cheap. a new swingarm for a bullit is $250 i believe. let them know what is up and they will sell you a new swingarm. welding it will definately void the warrenty. your welded swingarm might work for a while, but when it breaks again you will be SOL
id save up and buy the swingarm if i were you

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
SC has a great crash replacement policy, as others have mentioned. I'd advise against welding it and just get a new one.

I had a Bullit and it cracked in the exact same place, right at the edge of the weld on the right side dropout. I had to sand the powdercoat off to get a better look at it. But, I was getting a new frame anyways so I just tossed it.

viper2pt0

Chimp
Mar 22, 2005
Somers, NY
yea, i talked to them...250 for a new swingarm, 305 for a polished one. Im def. going to get a new one eventually, for now i just jb-welded (glue) a piece of aluminum over the crack so i can get a little bit more use outta it while i save up. i'll take it off before i send my swingarm back to them to get the new one. I also checked out that tonic fab one, its not going to be in production till later this year, and its gonna be around 600 bux, so i'll prolly just get a regular one.