Quantcast

2002 Sid Sl

Mar 25, 2002
Behind the Screen
I have a 2002 Rock Shox Sid SL. Recently, while pumping the lower valve I noted that red oil came bubbling out after I disengaged the pump. I did not over inflate (only went to 140), the oil shot up into the pump and I had to blow it back out. Is this normal? I use the same pump for my Marzocchi X-Fly, Stratos XCPro and old Fox Alps5. Will I be doing these damage if a small amount of oil gets pumped into these? On another note: the lock out on the Sid never really worked, it does stiffen up quite a bit but never fully locks out like the Stratos does. Anyone have similar a similar experience? A lock out is not something I really care about on a fork but if I paid for it I should have it???

Thanks – Edward.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
You should pump the lower chamber, the "negative air chamber" with the fork upside down. It will minimize how much oil you loose that way. And always air up the the top first, then air the bottom.

You could try removing the lockout knob and moving it over one more on the hex head of the damper shaft so its turning farther in at full compression damping. Its not raelly a lockout as I understand it. It just turns up the damping really high so it barely moves. I think there is a blowoff too in case you hit something hard at full damping. This is so you don't break something in the damper. Are you getting lots of movement or just the first centimeter is moving. You might need to change the oil in the damper. Easy job but its easy to get air in the system. Everytime I change the oil it works better. Over time though it develops a little initial movement in the "lockout" position. I rarely use the lockout setting though.

That oil coming into your pump doesnt affect the SID, and I dont think it will get into, or if it does get into one of those other forks, affect a lot. Its a common thing. What you could do is, drip all the oil out of the negative air chamber, but I dont know if this will have effect on the durability of the internal sealing...

About that lock-out. I have the same fork. Mine works fine. I think there is a small amount of air, or to little amount of oil in the Pure Damper. Call RockShox to verify this. A trained mechanic that knows how to bleed the Pure Damper, can fix this.

Ride on!

DeKerfs

Mar 25, 2002
Behind the Screen
Thanks for the input. I don't ride hard - only XC with reasonably tame DH. I have noted that as time goes on the lockout feature only increases the damping; I can still get full range of movement.
There are about 600 miles on this fork so perhaps it is time for a tune up. Edward.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
ok the lock out doesn't full lock out. it does move just a weeeeeee bit depending on how soft or stiff you have the fork set up. i run my forks set up w/ a lot of pressure, and most of the time my fork is on lock out or damn near it....

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Oh Jesus, what a tool - who signs their posts?

I have a 2002 Rock Shox Sid SL. Recently, while pumping the lower valve I noted that red oil came bubbling out after I disengaged the pump. I did not over inflate (only went to 140), the oil shot up into the pump and I had to blow it back out. Is this normal? I use the same pump for my Marzocchi X-Fly, Stratos XCPro and old Fox Alps5. Will I be doing these damage if a small amount of oil gets pumped into these? On another note: the lock out on the Sid never really worked, it does stiffen up quite a bit but never fully locks out like the Stratos does. Anyone have similar a similar experience? A lock out is not something I really care about on a fork but if I paid for it I should have it???

Thanks – Edward.