Quantcast

2003-2004 Turner DHR, Whats The Difference

Dec 25, 2003
Edinburgh, Scotland
As the title suggests, whats the difference between the two?

I have a new V10 on order but through a strange set of circumstances I have been offered an absolutely killer deal on a brand new 03 DHR as a part exchange. Even as something to ride between now and when I get the V10 it is tempting but the Turner site doesnt list past model years to get info on the 03 frame.

Dec 25, 2003
Edinburgh, Scotland
Well, I was meaning beyond visually........my eyes arent really trained to accurately calculate frame geometry and travel with the naked eye:rolleyes:
So if someone says 2003 has round tubes and 2004 has square.......I can work that much out for myself :D

Well if geometry is same then that is my Q's pretty much answered, I will mail Turner to confirm. Is it 2002 or 2003 that people seem to get upgraded pivots for, I am sure I have heard that talked about before??

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Numbers are exactly the same. Turner said so. I own an 03 and got to ride a friends 04 last weekend. It was on a really short DH trail but it has a bit of everthing.

Only one difference I could tell. Lower COG/weight distribution. It felt less top heavy. Of course if you rack your doo dads on an 03 the twin top tubes give your junk somewhere to go.

The newer ones do have a redesigned swingarm yoke and beefier swinglink. You can get an upgrade from Turner that will make your 03 more like the 04. I'd do it. I broke my swinglink.

Espen

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Tigerstaden, Norway
There's now (04) "brigdes" between the the main bearings. Both on the swingarm and the mainframe. Some riders here have experience with both frames, and can tell you how they feel.

I will take some pics later tonight if you need. I am wrencing on my friends 03 these days, so I got both frames here. (small 04 and small 03)

E

Dec 25, 2003
Edinburgh, Scotland
Thanks for all the answers guys, managed to get all my questions answered. Turns out the frame in question has had the rear end replaced by the shop, along with the upgraded pivot and swing link.....a big plus, i also think the 03 looks nicer than tha 04.

Now I just need to decide whether I actually want the bike!

Sgt Brown

Monkey
Feb 19, 2002
Trabuco Canyon, CA
Originally posted by laxincubus311
i just bought a 2003 in mint shape and i hope i like it, i also got a 888r to go with it

Not sure if the 888 you have is the 8" or 7", but if it is the 8" you may want to get the e.13 reducer cups to drop the front end down a bit. That fork really slacks out the 03 and 04 DHRs. Having the reducer cups drops the front and steepens the head angle nicely. Just a thought.

And for the guys who posted the topic. Geometrys are the same. The new frame is noticably lighter and allows for more room for you legs up front due to a single square tube. I rode both, and feel the 04 is a bit stiffer also. They are both great frames. You can't go wrong with the 03. Better frame choice than the V10 in IMO.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Originally posted by laxincubus311
i might get the crowns from risse
Yeah Rob is right.
I have the 7" 888, but just for kicks, I was looking at my FSA headset, and it measures at at least an inch sticking out of the frame (top and bottom). With the E13 cups, that inch would disappear.
I would try this method first before forking out the dough for crowns.

Dec 25, 2003
Edinburgh, Scotland
Originally posted by Sgt Brown
Better frame choice than the V10 in IMO.
Says the man with the Team Turner/Honda signature;)

Its one of the new V10's that I have ordered, the things that premiered at SO. So whether its better or not is a bit hard to say, since not many people have had a bounce on the new model.

Espen

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Tigerstaden, Norway
The lower cup and crownrace builds 13mm (ca1/2") on the FSA Orbit Ex 1.5R.
The e-13 actually builds something too. It depends on what kind of crownrace you use. The FSA race I got, gives the whole e-13 a height of about 6mm (ca1/4")

With an Extralite alu-race, you can subtract anoher 1.5mm This race is so thin, it's allmost invisible. Not sure if it's good enough for DH abuse.

You can save more on the top with the e-13 cups.

E

Originally posted by Jeremy R
Yeah Rob is right.
I have the 7" 888, but just for kicks, I was looking at my FSA headset, and it measures at at least an inch sticking out of the frame (top and bottom). With the E13 cups, that inch would disappear.
I would try this method first before forking out the dough for crowns.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Originally posted by Espen
The lower cup and crownrace builds 13mm (ca1/2") on the FSA Orbit Ex 1.5R.
The e-13 actually builds something too. It depends on what kind of crownrace you use. The FSA race I got, gives the whole e-13 a height of about 6mm (ca1/4")

With an Extralite alu-race, you can subtract anoher 1.5mm This race is so thin, it's allmost invisible. Not sure if it's good enough for DH abuse.

You can save more on the top with the e-13 cups.

E
Nice info. When I said measure, I actually meant eyeballing it.:p
I like my head angle right where it is at with the 7" 888 and the FSA headset. I guess I could use the reducer cups on top to get my bar down some, but using 1 1/2 inch rise bar, it feels fine where it is at.

El Jefe

Dr. Phil Jefe
Nov 26, 2001
OC in SoCal
Originally posted by Sgt Brown
Better frame choice than the V10 in IMO.
Yeah yeah, I knew you'd say that...

PS-Tenacious, I have a new V10 on order as well, in white...ordered it a little more than a week ago. As far as you know are they still slated for delivery in a few weeks (mid-late May)?

Espen

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Tigerstaden, Norway
Yeah, and with the Go-R crowns, I am getting the same angles with the 200 mm fork. 30mm travel is better than 30mm crowns is'nt it?

E

Originally posted by Jeremy R
Nice info. When I said measure, I actually meant eyeballing it.:p
I like my head angle right where it is at with the 7" 888 and the FSA headset. I guess I could use the reducer cups on top to get my bar down some, but using 1 1/2 inch rise bar, it feels fine where it is at.

Dec 25, 2003
Edinburgh, Scotland
Originally posted by El Jefe
PS-Tenacious, I have a new V10 on order as well, in white...ordered it a little more than a week ago. As far as you know are they still slated for delivery in a few weeks (mid-late May)?
I was told June-July, but thats for the UK so a few weeks for you guys will no doubt be about right. I ordered trans blue:cool:

Espen

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Tigerstaden, Norway
Ohhh.......man.

I have been waiting many monts for frames many many times.

But not every time, I just got my new 5 Spot wich arrived on time (4 weeks) inkl overseas shipping.

E