Quantcast

2003 Giant Rainier

Davesnhere

Chimp
Apr 2, 2005
Hello, I just purchased a 2003 Giant Rainier for $750.00. I did not realize it was an 03 model until I got home. I'm wondering if I should return it and pay the difference for an 05? What are your thoughts? TIA

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
Yes, even though they are some what similar I would still return it. What shop would let you out with a 2 year old bike at retail. They should have that thing marked down. Is it used? Are you sure it is an 03', post pictures.

Sweet Ride :thumb:

Davesnhere

Chimp
Apr 2, 2005
Hey, Thanks for the quick reply! It was sold to me as new (might have been on the showroom floor for a while, not sure, but definetly never ridden), I know it's an 03 by the paint, the 80mm Axel front forks, Mavic rims, Mosquito tires, rear derailer is the Deore Lx, not the SRAM, etc... I'm really pissed at myself for not catching on to this being an 03, but now that I think about it, when I went into the bike shop I did not specify that I wanted an 05, (I was just glad to get what I thought was an $850.00 bike for $750.00.) I just hope come Monday they will let me trade it in! If not, it still seems like a killer bike and I'm sure I'll like it!

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
Yea they should refund it. Our store policy is 14 days same as cash, I am sure theirs isnt any different. I didnt know they made a Rainer with Axle front shocks. I thought it was the EXR comp and then now the Judy. Post up a picture man I want to see what it looks like. If it is silver and black then uh oh.

Davesnhere

Chimp
Apr 2, 2005
Sorry my digital camera took a crap, but I can tell you it's the Blue 03 as pictured on the Giant website's 03 archive. Do you think the 05 components are alot better than the 03's? (I'm now afraid to ride it until I decide what to do, and they don't open until 10am Monday)

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
The new one has Hydrolic Disc brakes. Return it and get that and say for not giving you a good deal on a two year old bike, they better give you a good deal on the 2005 model.

Davesnhere

Chimp
Apr 2, 2005
OK, I went to the shop first thing this morning. They took the bike back, no problems (said he thought I knew it was an 03 model), I spent the better part of the morning test riding a bunch of bikes, and decided on an 04 Cannondale Jekyll 800 that he gave me a great deal on! I was gonna just order an 05 Rainier, but after riding the Jekyll I was amazed at well it fit me and just felt better compared to all the other bikes I tried. OK, just wanted to give you guys an update, right now it's 60 degree's and sunny here in Jersey, so I'm out to tear up the woods a little on my new toy!

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
No way man. Thats really funny. When I started looking for a new bike back in 2001, I was looking at the Rainer. But the shop I was looking at didnt have a good one in stock. So I just went looking around up at the shop up the street from me (which I now work at) and ended up buying a 2000 C'dale Jekyll 900 SL for $1000 (orig. $2500, but it was used, but still). That is really ironic. Haha.

Let me know how you like it. That bike retails for what, $1500 right. What kind of deal did you get on it? It has a Manitou Black on it correct. That is so awesome. Enjoy!!!:thumb:

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
sounds like a comperable bike shop. They should have notified you before you purchased the Rainier that it was two years old. I know the shop I work at would tell you first thing. RPK, what is the name of the shop where you work? A lot of people from the northern areas come down to our shop every year for something called the Cirque Du Cyclisme. Heard of it?

Davesnhere

Chimp
Apr 2, 2005
rpk1988 said:
Let me know how you like it. That bike retails for what, $1500 right. What kind of deal did you get on it? It has a Manitou Black on it correct. That is so awesome. Enjoy!!!:thumb:
Hey, I got the All Mountain version it came with the Lefty Max fork and is dressed in the flourescent green/yellow Sobe colors. It definetly blows my 10 year old Trek out of the water! He told me it listed for 1899.00 in 04, and sold it to me for 1500.00. I probably could have gotten a better deal elsewhere, but since the shop is close to me I decided to go for it. I got about an hour ride in yesterday and am totally impressed/happy with my new toy!

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
Nice man. Someone that goes to my school bought that bike from our store too. Those are some sicks colors. Enjoy her and ride her hard.

Moto: Nope I have never heard of that before. Our shop is a Snowboard/Ski/Bike shop. So we might not participate in that. We do have and sponsor a lot of rides, mostly road rides, there are many MTB races around our area. What shop do you work at?