Quantcast

2003 XTR photos & info

SpasticJack

Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
not possible...it is. The site linked to in the original post has some other info on it. Anyone else notice what looks like a 10 speed stack? The disks are splined onto the hubs and fixed with a lockring like a cassette. Looks like they are answering a lot of questions no one is asking. There is also a pic of the new paint scheme for LX...gold and black...not my favorite.

R

RideMonkey

I am guessing that the pinch bolt on the lef tcrank arm allows the elimination of the crank bolt, saving a few grams.

While I am interested in checking out the new shifters, kinda sucks that you would have to use a Shimano hydraulic brake system.

SpasticJack

Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
between the 10 speed stack, wiggly shifters and lack of compatibility with lots of other components, I reckon I'll be passing on getting any new XTR stuff from this iteration.

schaefdog

Monkey
Nov 15, 2001
Marysville WA
Hey Acadian, What about those of us who want to use the XTR discs but still want normal shift pods? Do we use XT levers? Or will there be a seperate lever only for the XTR brakes?

Ranger

Swift, Silent, Deadly!
Aug 16, 2001
Y'all can't see me...
Servus!

I knew I liked R for a reason! :D

I think that the new XTR is pretty dope - not likely that I'll be the first kid on my block to own the stuff when '03 rolls around.

I'm waiting for changes in XT, personally. Still can't figure out why everyone hates Shimano so badly....

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
These are defiantly integrated but I don’t see how they work. The shifters could be hidden underneath or it could swivel (not to likely) but I just can’t tell from the photo.

crono35

Monkey
Feb 11, 2002
irvine
heard somewhere else that the levers swivel to shift, dunno how true that is. And how the heck do you upshift of a road bike??? i was at performance yesterday and all i could get them to do was shift down. Hope no one gets injured on test rides.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Originally posted by crono35
heard somewhere else that the levers swivel to shift, dunno how true that is. And how the heck do you upshift of a road bike??? i was at performance yesterday and all i could get them to do was shift down. Hope no one gets injured on test rides.
On the flight deck shifter/breaks there's a trigger your thumb rests on, when your resting on the shifter/break housing, to downshift and you swivel the actual break leaver in to shift up.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
This one is a little more complex than the one i have because it has a separate shifter/break leaver but it works the same way. On mine you press on the outside of the leaver so it will swivel in and that shifts up. The thumb trigger shifts down.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
That's the Campagnolo road lever. Shimano 105, Ultegra and Dura-Ace have "dual pivot" levers. The brake lever is pushed in to move the derailleur against spring tension of the front or rear derailleur. It upshifts the front and downshifts the rear. A second lever located just behind the brake lever releases the derailleur one gear.

As I read it, the new XTR will use something similar. My guess is push the brake lever down to push aginst derailleur spring tension and up to release it. It's mentioned that there is an additional lever available for the underside of the brake lever, I guess for the short thumbed to reach.

Personnally, I aplaud Shimano's efforts. It might not work ergonomically for some but it will probably raise the bar again. And if they fall flat, at least they tried something new. If it works well then we can expect a trickle down to XT-LX etc. in subsequent years. So what if its expensive. The best stuff usually is. Light cheap strong, can't have all three.

JamesD

Chimp
Nov 28, 2001
The road sti levers are intuitive, safe and very fast. The campy levers are even better imo. You can shift 1,2 or 3 gears with one push of the lever instead of pushing 3 times like on shimano.

I'm sure the xtr lever (black part) does 2x duty as brake and downshift while the silver paddle upshifts when you push on it.
Seems fast, intuitive and safe to me. Besides being really cool.
I don't think its any better than the gripshift but who knows...

prophet6

Chimp
Mar 25, 2002
North Easton, MA
not to be picky, but you've got the campy lever wrong here...
the brake lever doesn't pivot on campy, just the little lever behind it for downshifts (rear) and the thumb lever for upshifts (again, rear) Further, you can bump off as many upshifts as your wrists will allow, but only up to 3 downshifts at a whack.

for what it's worth, i suppose... :)

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
downshift means going into an easier gear and upshift means into a higher gear. So you've got the campy function backwards, at least for the rear. The thumb shift pushes the derailleur against spring tension.

prophet6

Chimp
Mar 25, 2002
North Easton, MA
sorry, but you're wrong. i ride (currently) both 8 and 9 speed campy record and chorus. the thumb button releases tension, allowing shifts to smaller cogs.