Quantcast

2003 Z1FR with QR20 - Reviews sought

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Are any of you Monkeys running this fork on your FR/Trail bikes? if so, I'd love to hear your thoughts on it. Stiffness, plushness, ETA etc. etc.

Things to be aware of and to watch for in this particular model year (vs. 2002s or 2004s), axle to crown height etc. etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Pow pow

Chimp
Nov 18, 2003
Scotland
I am running that fork, but the QR version on my DJ/Street bike just now. I have also used it for a bit of DH when the big bike was out of action.
It is a fantastic fork, The preformance difference over my '00 drop off that I had on a stinky is very noticable.
It uses the same damping as shivers and 03 (And earlier too I think) super T's so you know the dampers are going to be up to standard.
I have also ridin a pair of shiver SC's (Same damping and travel) and the freerides were noticably stiffer. With a qr20 axle they would be even better.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Thanks for the feedback. what are you riding for a DJ/Street bike? Does the Z1 Slacken the head tube angle a little bit?

I'd like to get a stiff fork with great damping that offeres a little more axle to crown height than my current fork. The Z1 FR might fit the bill - it'll be heavier than what I'm running but I don't think I'll mind that.

Pow pow

Chimp
Nov 18, 2003
Scotland
It is a 24/7 dark angel (A uk company, not sure if they are big in the us).
It came with a black comp 80/100 which I took of straight away and put the Z1 on there. It slackened the HA a bit (Which I wanted) and IMO is better suited to the type of riding the bike is designed to do than the Black.

I took the ETA leaver off as it fouled on the down tube and I never used it either

Macrider

Monkey
Oct 13, 2003
Los Angeles
I've got one on my Trek Bruiser 2 that I use for dirt jumping - love it! - the '04's got quite a bit heavier, so I'm happy with the '03 - QR20 keeps it very stiff (like when you front-case a double!) - 0 problems, nothing but plush, reliable travel - haven't used the ETA once, since I only dirt jump with that bike...

I highly recommend the '03

Ashek

Chimp
May 27, 2004
got the 04.
Again, hardly ever use the ETA, thinking about swapping it out if i come across a dead z1 or something thats past warrenty. Nice and stiff, I used it for FR, no problems yet.
Cased a double with it nose first, held up fine, no bends, etc. Travel is nice too.

Although, ive cracked the bracket that the qr20 clasp bolts onto the lower, replaced under warrenty. Other tha that, a solid fork (it was an over-torquing issue, but since they dont publish a torque spec for that bolt...)

oh, ive had it since december, and my nitrite coating is still nice and BLACK!

The 03 is great and all, with one exception, the tire clearance can be tight for anything wider than a real 2.4. that's why i kept my 02 z1 fr for the longest time because it allowed me to run a 2.7 intense. dh tire. the o4 has wider lowver spacing for the tire imo. but now i run an 04 shiver sc which i just ordered extra-heavy springs for. it's as good as it comes as far as SC forks go:)

Oct 26, 2003
socal
this is the besst single crown made for freeride xc dh anything. i use the lockout everytime i ride uphill and it hauls ass even on a 40 lb heckler. ive done 25 foot stairgaps and 6 foot to flat concrete drops no prob with it. i had the 03 before but the 04 is better , the lock out is easier to use