Quantcast

2004 888RC Compression Side Preload and Spring Change

Discussion in 'Downhill & Freeride' started by odiwik, Nov 4, 2005.

1. odiwik

odiwik Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    I can not get the preload cap to move on the compression side of my 888RC. When I opened it up, the compression side had the preload cap on the second setting. The rebound side is was on the top-most setting.

I have a feeling the compression side preload cap isn't supposed to be stuck, is it? Should it be easy to move up and down to change preload and take the spring out like the rebound side?

#1 -   Nov 4, 2005

Please register to disable this ad.

2. odiwik

odiwik Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    Alright, the clip is no longer stuck, and the springs/preload is easily adjustable now.

From the searches, I saw that Marzocchi gave the answer that the preload was on the top-most and second rung, depending on when called.

The answer is both, it is set at the top-most position on the rebound side, but the middle position on the compression side.

#2 -   Nov 4, 2005
  3. Kntr

Kntr Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 20
    My 04s were both in the top setting and my 05s were both in the middle setting straight from the factory.

#3 -   Nov 5, 2005
  4. odiwik

odiwik Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    This particular fork is a never-opened '05 with the compression leg on the middle setting and the rebound leg on the upper-most setting.

It feels good now with the low-speed compression damper covering one hole; both preload adjusters on the middle setting; and an extra-firm spring in one leg and the stock spring in the other!

#4 -   Nov 5, 2005
  5. Kntr

Kntr Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 20
    What difference did you feel with the compression sleeve? Have you tried any other settings? Like covering 2, 3, or all holes.

#5 -   Nov 5, 2005
  6. Brian HCM#1

Brian HCM#1 MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 11
    When I did the compression sleeve it did take some of the hasrshness out of the fork. Then I bought an Avalanche, now it's all good.

#6 -   Nov 5, 2005
  7. Kntr

Kntr Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 20
    Harshness..... explain?

#7 -   Nov 5, 2005
  8. odiwik

odiwik Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    Much less brake dive was immediately noticeable. I have brake dive during only a third of the travel instead of bottoming the damned fork out with my 210 lbs. while braking. It didn't really affect small-bump sensitivity from what I could tell, just the extremely slow-moving stuff, like pedaling and braking. I need to ride it more for a full report though.

I haven't tried the other settings, but it's easy to take the lowers off and adjust the compression sleeve. I want to ride it more before I start playing with it. I think I got it pretty damned nice right now. I was surprised at how easy the installation was. It's no external adjust, but it only takes 5 minutes to pull her apart and twist (with no oil loss).

#8 -   Nov 5, 2005
  9. Brian HCM#1

Brian HCM#1 MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 11
    Actually I should rephrase it, I hated it on the small bumps.

#9 -   Nov 6, 2005
  10. Kntr

Kntr Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 20
    Thats what I thought. Everyone I have talked to that went to the compressioin sleeve said the small bump sensitivity was terrible after the sleeve.

11. OGRipper

OGRipper Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 92
    I use the sleeve covering just one hole and it works great, still plenty small bump sensitivity but fixed the bad diving.

12. odiwik

odiwik Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    I'm with OGRipper. Feels even better on the trail now... That's the first I've ever heard harshness mentioned with an 888.