Quantcast

2004 888RC Compression Side Preload and Spring Change

odiwik

Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
I can not get the preload cap to move on the compression side of my 888RC. When I opened it up, the compression side had the preload cap on the second setting. The rebound side is was on the top-most setting.

I have a feeling the compression side preload cap isn't supposed to be stuck, is it? Should it be easy to move up and down to change preload and take the spring out like the rebound side?

odiwik

Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
Alright, the clip is no longer stuck, and the springs/preload is easily adjustable now.

From the searches, I saw that Marzocchi gave the answer that the preload was on the top-most and second rung, depending on when called.

The answer is both, it is set at the top-most position on the rebound side, but the middle position on the compression side.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
My 04s were both in the top setting and my 05s were both in the middle setting straight from the factory.

odiwik

Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
This particular fork is a never-opened '05 with the compression leg on the middle setting and the rebound leg on the upper-most setting.

It feels good now with the low-speed compression damper covering one hole; both preload adjusters on the middle setting; and an extra-firm spring in one leg and the stock spring in the other!

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
What difference did you feel with the compression sleeve? Have you tried any other settings? Like covering 2, 3, or all holes.

odiwik

Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
Much less brake dive was immediately noticeable. I have brake dive during only a third of the travel instead of bottoming the damned fork out with my 210 lbs. while braking. It didn't really affect small-bump sensitivity from what I could tell, just the extremely slow-moving stuff, like pedaling and braking. I need to ride it more for a full report though.

I haven't tried the other settings, but it's easy to take the lowers off and adjust the compression sleeve. I want to ride it more before I start playing with it. I think I got it pretty damned nice right now. I was surprised at how easy the installation was. It's no external adjust, but it only takes 5 minutes to pull her apart and twist (with no oil loss).

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Thats what I thought. Everyone I have talked to that went to the compressioin sleeve said the small bump sensitivity was terrible after the sleeve.

odiwik

Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
I'm with OGRipper. Feels even better on the trail now... That's the first I've ever heard harshness mentioned with an 888.