Quantcast

2004 Cannondale Gemini experience

Jay_Reemin

Chimp
Nov 9, 2005
Hey all,

I got a bro who bought one of these bikes, he's used it maybe 5 times now in the past year or so if that. He called me the other day and said he thinks it feels small on him, its a medium. Being that he's 5'11" and I'm 5'8", he thinks it would fit me good, but I wanted to get some personal user experience posted up on here as I'm not sure if I should pick it up or not.

First off, he got it on sale, Supergo closed out Cannondale last year supposively (according to him) and so they had it for dirt cheap. I think he said he picked it up for $1300. I told him I'd take it off his hands for $1k, and I think that's a good deal, but who here has used one of these bikes, and can you tweak here and there to make it a decent weight all around bike for a bigger guy? I used to ride DH trails out west, so I'm used to big bikes, but I'm now in an area that has lots of "hills" so my riding is mainly xc, aggressive xc at best comparing to the western slopes I used to ride. I want something that would be good to ride aggressive xc on, so my dog and I can clock some miles this spring. But if I happen to come across something good, I want to be able to rip it still, and there are a few trails here that do offer some DH type stuff. I'm in the 200lb club, so I'm not sure about a single pivot design, nor am I familiar with the sherman breakout as I normally run big boy forks with xtra heavy springs and oil. I was thinking that if I took out the vanilla r shock in the back and got a dhx with the right spring rate, and put in a heavy spring in the fork, that I could make due. And at $1k, I'd still have a decent bike, especially for around here. Of course I'd rather have the 2006 line, as it has major improvements, but the budget doesn't call for it this upcoming season. BTW, the picture is the exact representation, but the frame he got is black, which I'm stoked on.

Here's the spec's, let a brotha know:
Gemini 900 Specs Compare Geometry

Frame Gemini
Fork Manitou Breakout TPC
Rear Shock Fox Vanilla R
Rims Mavic XM321 disc, 32 hole
Hubs Cannondale Wind disc rear, thru axle front
Spokes DT Champion
Tires Maxxis High Roller, 26 x 2.35"
Pedals Shimano PD-M545
Crank TruVatiV Hussefelt 22/32/Guard
Chain Shimano 9-speed
Rear Cogs SRAM PG-950, 11-34
Bottom Bracket TruVatiV ISIS splined
Front Derailleur Shimano LX
Rear Derailleur Shimano XT
Shifters Shimano LX
Handlebars Cannondale Freeride
Stem Cannondale OnePointFive
Headset FSA OnePointFive
Brakeset Hayes HFX-9 w/8" rotors
Brakelevers Hayes HFX-9
Saddle WTB Laser V Pro
Seat Post Kalloy SP248
Colors Siemens Team Replica (gloss) (REP).
Jet Black (matte) (BBQ).
Sizes S, M, L, XL
Weight 36.5 lbs

Attachments

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
i've got one, use it for everything from xc, to dh, to 10 foot drops to flat concrete, 15 feet to tranny, to 35 foot gaps. I'm 6'6" 200 lbs and ride a large, feels great. I've had to build it up a little extra heavy for the last 3 things, but it still pedals well with an spv shock on it, but a dhx would be an even better idea thats for sure, those things are glorious. Sherman's with tpc are pretty nice, i had spv, it gets a big thumbs down for anything but freeriding. They are tough though, thats for sure.
________
Vapor Geni

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2005
Berlin, CT
I rode one of these baby's as a demo and took it up a good sized mountain. that one weighed in at around 38 or 39. that bike should be no problem for you. pedals well up, and flies down.

ThePriceSeliger said:
This is all I have to say.
yeah now the next question on that is how old is the frame, how was it ridden adn how was the warranty. you cant really just say that when there are so many different variables that can contribute to that. hell could have jsut driven into a wall or hit a tree (and i am not saying you did in anyway shape or form). you have to be careful with how you "say" things and be sure to give the whole story.

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
It's an 04 Team DH, not sure exactly how it cracked, I was cleaning it and saw it. They didn't warrenty it because it was second hand, and it was in good shape when I got it, and I completly checked it when I got it.

ThePriceSeliger said:
It's an 04 Team DH, not sure exactly how it cracked, I was cleaning it and saw it. They didn't warrenty it because it was second hand, and it was in good shape when I got it, and I completly checked it when I got it.
cool, well at least you saw it before it became catastrophic. and yeah unfortunately no one will warranty a frame when it was second hand. but glad to hear you enjoyed it while it lasted.

Jay_Reemin

Chimp
Nov 9, 2005
ThePriceSeliger said:
Look in my sig, thats the way to go.
I'd go that route if I lived out west still, but I'm in pedal land USA, so I need something I can pedal mostly, I'm thinking if I setup the suspension super stiff, I can charge on it and still use it to bust out when given the opportunity. But it's kinda limited in my kneck of the woods now as a daily weekly ride, I have to travel a good 5-7 hours to access stuff worthy of big bike material. I'm also not much up for driving so far just to ride, so I figured I'd get something lighter, still strong, but pedalable and get in really good shape. If I find a spot that I can create a trail on, legally, and without hassle, then I might look into upgrading it, but for now, I think the Gemini 900 stock with stiff springs and a dhx shock should do the trick for what I have around me in an hours drive time. I just like riding, but being a heavy guy, I can't ride those whimpy xc bikes. I need something strong for my aggressive riding style and weight, I had a Giant VT and felt like it was a tin can under me. Not to knock it as it's a great bike for skinny dudes, but for us beef cakes we have to stay with the coil sprung suspension. I'm even a lil leary on the breakout as it only has one spring in the leg if I'm not mistaken, instead of having a dual coil sprung suspesion fork. Correct me if I'm wrong.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
breakouts a fine, in terms of strength, i beat the **** out of my before i replaced it just cause i wanted a more racy fork. I did tons of rough drops and crashed plenty on it, and still worked fine. If youre just gonna be doing trail riding to begin with its more than enough.
________
Drug testing kit

Last edited:

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I'm 5'11"; initially got a medium, but found it too small. Little too BMX-y for me. The large fits me well, but I tend to like long TTs.

At 5'8" it should fit you fine.

I like my 04 Gemini DH a lot, but I've only ridden it a handful of times at best. I pretty much missed all of last season.

MD

May 12, 2005
roanoke va
the 04 gemini does not have the gusset under the HT that the newer ones do. priceslinger's was also an 04. if you only use it for heavy XC and riping the odd DH, it will be fine. but start jumping it and getting over to the dark side, you might want to look for somthing beefer.

Jay_Reemin

Chimp
Nov 9, 2005
spacemanspiff06 said:
the 04 gemini does not have the gusset under the HT that the newer ones do. priceslinger's was also an 04. if you only use it for heavy XC and riping the odd DH, it will be fine. but start jumping it and getting over to the dark side, you might want to look for somthing beefer.
Are they like the Giant AC's were, kinda light but kinda weak?

Jay_Reemin

Chimp
Nov 9, 2005
Capt. Jack Sparrow said:
I love mine. I'm in the 100-club, though.
Hey,

PM me your email, if you could send me a full blown picture of your ride I'd be stoked. I haven't seen it in black yet, not even in pictures and my buddy doesnt' have a camera.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Check out mtbr.com's Cannondale forum if you want even more pics...there's a whole Gemini thread. Might be a black one on there, too.

MD

May 12, 2005
roanoke va
ThePriceSeliger said:
You killed my name!
jesus, i did. sorry ThePriceSeliger, ass clown.

yeah it's a lot like the AC, but it lasts more then one run down any given mtn. bashing aside, the gemni was made for a little harder riding then the AC, but same style, yes.

hey capt. Jack, did you race at mahem? though i saw you there.

Jay_Reemin

Chimp
Nov 9, 2005
gemini2k said:
pssh, the headtube is plenty strong. Don't let that scare you.
My bro just said he'd sell it to me for $1k, I'm sooooooooooo stoked, now I can go ride www.raysmtb.com this winter and stay up on my skills. If someone has a bigger picture of the black version of the gemini 900, send it to me.

thanks