Quantcast

2004 Fox 100R fork

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
I know this should be in the XC forum, but there's hardly anybody on that board so DH forum it is.
I'm thinking about buying a 2004 Fox 100r for my winter beater hardtail. I'm reading a lot about chronic seal leakage problems. I can get the fork very cheap ........ ($100) Is this problem a solvable one??? or is it just going to be a pain in the azz.

freeridefool

Monkey
Jun 17, 2006
medford, or
I have an 04 100rc. Its uaually on my dj bike, but its taken apart at the moment. Ive had such good luck with the seals, I dont thing Im going to put new ones in it after I paint the fork. It leaks a little bit, but I think its because of the application I use it for. I never leaked when it was on my xc bike.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Yeah, the forks don't have real oil seals (just wipers) so they tend to leak more than other forks. Sure, the stanchions tend to get worn due to the anodizing they use. But for $100 I wouldn't say no to one of the older Fox forks, especially since they're so easy to rebuild. Plus, you can always send it to PUSH and have them install a dedicated oil seal by machining the lowers to fit RS seals.