Quantcast

2004 Stinky...couple of maintenance questions?

novascotian

Chimp
Oct 29, 2003
hey...got a new stinky in april. just wondering about disc brakes. never had 'em before. How often should the pads be replaced? what about the fluid?..since i bought the bike i have a lot more slack in the lever....just wondering about how to keep the brakes in tip top shape....they are hayes hfx9

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
I think alot depends on riding conditions etc... Sand/dirt/mud will eat up discs as were street might not so much. Also how much you drag them etc...will determine how long they last.

I'd say check the pads. Rears tend to go before fronts. Also with fluid if you drag them, the fluid boils and will be nasty. Brake fluid goes in clear, comes out black. I think 1-2 times a year if you ride alot to flush the brake fluid. Pads can be changed as often as 2 weeks to 12 months depending on riding conditions and use.

I ride mostly dry/stone areas in so cal. I change pads probably every 6 months and fluid once a year. Usually the rear pads go 2 times before the front do because I drag the rear brake alot. Front is always fine.

Good luck though, I'd say you are probably OK if anything just get an extra set of pads!

Bacardi

Monkey
Aug 16, 2002
Santa Barbara, CA
Ya, my fluid came out black. black no good, change fluid 2 or 3 time per year and pads Twice a year if you Downhill often...thought it does depend on how much you ride. Dont drag the brakes, if you can help it.