Quantcast

2004 Street Forks

Superdeft

Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
East Coast
Hi monkeys!

I am looking at new 2004 forks for mostly street riding on a hardtail, I won't be dropping any larger than 5 feet to flat, and any fork I get needs standard QR dropouts, and should be under 500 bucks.

Update: I have found an 03 Firefly for cheap again, and I can get an 04 Vanilla R for 50 bucks more.

Now the question is: which to pick?

Any advice is appreciated. :thumb:

Rik

Turbo Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
Sydney, Australia
I'd take a Vanilla, and drop it to 80/100 mm. Perfection. I'd be riding Fox if they made 20mm forks, but for you that isn't an issue, so go for it.

Weaver

Monkey
Oct 27, 2003
austin, TX
Originally posted by Rik
I'd take a Vanilla, and drop it to 80/100 mm. Perfection. I'd be riding Fox if they made 20mm forks, but for you that isn't an issue, so go for it.
second that motion....

Superdeft

Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
East Coast
Thanks for the input. The Vanilla R looks really good, although I need to read up more on the Flick.

I've read the 2004 Vanilla manual, and found a good price.

I forgot to add: Can fox forks fit a hookworm?

zstyle_22

Monkey
Jan 1, 2004
Centennial, Colorado
I have had really good luck with my sherman as of yet. I bought it last year and it has taken a pounding as a dirt jumper, race fork, and skate park riding. I am not bashing marzocchi, but I must say I have seen a lot break right at the stanchion tubes and not get warranteed. That includes 2003 and 2004 models. I would go for the sherman, than fox, and lastly marzocchi.

Superdeft

Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
East Coast
A deal I was watching for an 03 Firefly for 300 is now gone, but 350 for a 125 R is not bad. An 04 Flick would cost 450, so I guess the Vanilla wins assuming the prices stay as they are.

If anyone could comment on the ease/pain of setup, and the rebound adjust and general performance of the 125 Rxx, I'd appreciate it.

Superdeft

Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
East Coast
Originally posted by stoney98
if you go 125, I really suggest geting the heavy srpings also and set it to 4", mucho better!
Super stiff and low, so bueno for street!
I might try this, but considering I would be coming off a 3" old old old manitou which is almost rigid, I'll be so glad to be on something plush I may never get around to changing things for a while. Lowering and switching to the green/yellow springs is not that difficult, so that's good if I choose to go that route.

Superdeft

Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
East Coast
Update: I have found an 03 Firefly for cheap again, and I can get an 04 Vanilla R for 50 bucks more.

Now the question is: which to pick?

lanman

Monkey
Nov 2, 2001
Natick, MA
Note that you can't ride a fireflyhard in the 100mm setting, so if you planned on doing that then don't get the firefly. The travel adjust will break. I was thinking of a firefly too except i have a hardtail designed for a 4" fork and i like 4" better for street so I'm prolly getting a vanilla and putting it at 100mm. Long story short, Vanilla is ideal for street if you have a hardtail and like 4" of travel

Superdeft

Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
East Coast
Do you know if the stiffer springs are included with the fork? That would make the 125 -> 100 conversion better as stated above by stoney98.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Originally posted by lanman
Note that you can't ride a fireflyhard in the 100mm setting, so if you planned on doing that then don't get the firefly. The travel adjust will break. I was thinking of a firefly too except i have a hardtail designed for a 4" fork and i like 4" better for street so I'm prolly getting a vanilla and putting it at 100mm. Long story short, Vanilla is ideal for street if you have a hardtail and like 4" of travel
I ride my Firefly in 4" mode for street. All the time. Drops to flat, whatever, haven't had a problem with it.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Originally posted by lanman
I know at least 3 people who are stuck in either 4 or 5" mode because they rode hard in the 4" mode
Eh. Well, I guess there have been some mixed experiences. Dump, on this board, also ran his in 4" all the time and mentioned that he had no problems.

Have any of these people you know actually tried to fix it or did they just have it stop working, shrug, and ignore it? The mechanism isn't hard to work on.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Well I have ridden the Fox RL, Dirt Jumper III and i just installed the Manitou Flick, Honestly i think that the Fox RL or the manitou would be the best bet. I used to be a HUGE marzocchi fan but now i believe they feel like utter garbage compared to the Fox and Manitou. The Fox can have some play but the travel is amazing, the 20mm will be out later this year and that fork should be basically a dream. But... for right now i would have to say go with the Sherman 20mm it is super rigid and the travel is just about on par with the Fox IMO. The sherman can be lowered from 130 to 90 but i am not sure if it is just for climbing or if you can really pound it in that setting... Does anyone know if they changed it for this year? Goodluck bro!

Crash_Tested

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
wCo
Look for deals on used forks. I found a used Fox 125 RLC for $275 locally. It was in great condition and already had the stiffer sping put in.

Regarding the sherman getting stuck in the reduced travel setting, I emailed Manipoo about that and they said you just need to re-clock the spring (turn the spring clockwise). Never owned one though so I don't know how difficult that might be.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Originally posted by Crash_Tested
Never owned one though so I don't know how difficult that might be.
I do own one and its easy, which is why I asked if they had actually tried to fix it :D

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
iv ridden my firefly for over a year and half now in the 4inch mode and it hasnt budged and i abuse the crizzap outta that fork

Yeti-Freak

Chimp
May 3, 2002
Australia
get some Sherman Jumpers at set 80mm travel with stiff springs, all you need to do is find some QR Sherman lowers and swap um over, or just get a new hub and enjoy the stiff but pain in the ass to get of fell of 20mm.

Tim

Sideways

Monkey
Jun 8, 2002
Asheville, North Carolina
Originally posted by Rik
*insert bandwagon of people complaining about it being too tall*
For them are the plethora of non-(modern) suspension corrected strong rigid forks.
I'm upset that I'll have to build a new wheel to run the FUNN, but whatever, 20mm is a good thing.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Originally posted by CreeP
Banshee scratch fork, 20mm, rigid steel, suspension adjusted.
That's been posted here a couple times but nobody actually has their hands on one - are they even producing it yet?

Superdeft

Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
East Coast
I am looking for some suspension, I won't only be street riding, so having 4-5 up front is a must.

Was the 125 -> 100mm conversion difficult? Does it need special tools or more oil (would I have to go to a shop)? Also, are the stiffer springs included, or would I have to order/wait for more before the conversion?

SilentJ

trail builder
Jun 17, 2002
Calgary AB
Originally posted by Superdeft
I am looking for some suspension, I won't only be street riding, so having 4-5 up front is a must.

Was the 125 -> 100mm conversion difficult? Does it need special tools or more oil (would I have to go to a shop)? Also, are the stiffer springs included, or would I have to order/wait for more before the conversion?
I did mine in about 45 minutes and it was the first time Id had any fork apart...as long as you have the heavier springs (they came with the fork) and some oil, youre good to go. Themanual will say which tools you need, none of which are special. The only problem I had was getting the nut off of the cartridge at the bottom of the fork...the cartridge just kept spinning. Seems to me ive seen somewhere that theyve remedied this problem. I have mine set at 105mm and its amazing..best fork ever for everything other than dh, I guess thats what I bought the monster for!:eek:

Hey Mental, hows things in Nelson? Hows the crown clearance on that when you bottom the fork? Ive got the Gazzaloddi Jr. on a 521 and theres close to zero clearance if I were to bottom the fork...not that it happens often.

*edit* - just a note, mine's an early 2002 vanilla r and its taken more abuse than any fork should have to...bestestest fork ever.