Quantcast

2004 Turner Rail

abbett1322

Chimp
Dec 4, 2004
I am planning on purchasing a large 2004 Turner Rail frame. Would anyone recommend the 2004 Manitou Sherman Breakout Plus? I know that it would make the front end steeper, but while just riding around, I could change the travel to 130 mm Rapid Travel II. Any other forks you anyone recommend?

Dirty

i said change it damn it....Janet...Slut!!
Aug 3, 2003
i still agree with him that a firefly or flick would be better for that bike.

90/130 would be a better match....

170mm is just overkill for that frame.

abbett1322

Chimp
Dec 4, 2004
Dirty said:
i still agree with him that a firefly or flick would be better for that bike.

90/130 would be a better match....

170mm is just overkill for that frame.
the reason I want the Breakout Plus is because I'm mostly going to be doing drops and urban stuff. I just wan ta nice, plus, long travel fork.

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
170 is too much. if you want to do big drops and stuff why not get a free ride frame instead? the rail is a race/dj frame.

abbett1322

Chimp
Dec 4, 2004
scurban said:
170 is too much. if you want to do big drops and stuff why not get a free ride frame instead? the rail is a race/dj frame.
I know alot of places to get the Rail for really cheap, and I'm only doing small drops and stuff.

Dirty

Aug 3, 2003
you realize that frame has what, like 4.5" of travel?
the breakout+ has....5 or 7 inches depending on where its set
they just dont make a good pair

and besides that, for small drops and stuff you really only need 4-5 inches of travel...sometimes i prefer as little as 3 inches of travel for that application...

i reallyt hink a firefly or flick, which has 3.5 or 5 inches would be a much better match for that frame...

Smelly

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
out yonder, round bout a hootinany
abbett1322 said:
I'd get more travel, though. That's what I'm aiming for.
then get a longer travel frame.
look, it's a real bad idea to put a 7" fork a 4" bike. it'll feel very unbalanced and the bike will ride like crap. 5" will be ok, but you don't need or want more than that, so you oughta get a fork that has 3.5-5" because that will match the frame.
why are you so hell bent on the breakout+ and rail combo?

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
squarewheels said:
then get a longer travel frame.
look, it's a real bad idea to put a 7" fork a 4" bike. it'll feel very unbalanced and the bike will ride like crap. 5" will be ok, but you don't need or want more than that, so you oughta get a fork that has 3.5-5" because that will match the frame.
why are you so hell bent on the breakout+ and rail combo?
:stupid:

If you want a long travel fork get a long travel frame. If you want a rail, build it up with a 3.5 to 5" fork. Using a bike how it was designed to be used is always the better idea. Why set up a bike to ride akwardly? I could see putting a break out plus on a rail if it was all you had, and that was going to be the only way for you to get on the trails. But its not your case. You've got options, make good decisions, and build up a nice kit. Instead of putting a huge fork, on a small travel frame, especially if you are only going to do small drops. Did you see crankworks? Guys were doing huge drops on 4-5" forks! Get the rail, put a pike on it, or buy something like my Nixon 115mm-135mm, either one would be perfect for a rail, and small drops, or go out and get a long travel frame like the new Ironhorse, and put a breakout Plus on it!

abbett1322

Chimp
Dec 4, 2004
scurban said:

If you want a long travel fork get a long travel frame. If you want a rail, build it up with a 3.5 to 5" fork. Using a bike how it was designed to be used is always the better idea. Why set up a bike to ride akwardly? I could see putting a break out plus on a rail if it was all you had, and that was going to be the only way for you to get on the trails. But its not your case. You've got options, make good decisions, and build up a nice kit. Instead of putting a huge fork, on a small travel frame, especially if you are only going to do small drops. Did you see crankworks? Guys were doing huge drops on 4-5" forks! Get the rail, put a pike on it, or buy something like my Nixon 115mm-135mm, either one would be perfect for a rail, and small drops, or go out and get a long travel frame like the new Ironhorse, and put a breakout Plus on it!
I guess what I'm trying to build up is a miny downhill bike.

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
I think you should get a different frame..... a Preston would be good. Look around there are a lot of other options that really are not any more expensive then a turner rail.

Smelly

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
abbett1322 said:
I guess what I'm trying to build up is a miny downhill bike.
go to the DH board and read Buildyourown's thread about his new dhr. the bike is perfect with a 4-5" fork on it. a hardtail designed to use a 7" fork will ride better than a rail with a 7" fork.
trying to build up a mini dh bike is a silly idea and when you go to ride it, you'll probably hate it. the bike will be difficult to manuever and control, it'll feel sloppy. a rail with a 5" fork will make a better mini dh bike than a rail with a 7" fork.
MORE TRAVEL DOES NOT = BETTER!!! remember that. balanced is best.

redical

Monkey
May 19, 2004
scurban said:

You will break a Nixon doing what you want to do on it. Yoiu really should listen to what everyone has been telling you. 3.5-5" is plenty of range for the Rail. The 5" will give it a 68 degree headangle - it will feel DH enough. That is why I sold mine. The frame is so burly it could handle DH runs if you welded it stiff like a hardtail. ; )

abbett1322

Chimp
Dec 4, 2004
Anyone think that a large Turner Rail frame and the 2004 Breakout Plus 7" would be a good setup for a mini DH bike??

redical

Monkey
May 19, 2004
scurban said:
what makes you think a Nixon will break on small drops, and free ride stuff?
It is a lighty trail fork, not a freeride or DJ fork. Plus the whole 2005 line got recalled becuase they would bottom out on fatter tires.

The Sherman is better suited for this stuff.

May 26, 2004
Denver
Anyone think that a large Turner Rail frame and the 2004 Breakout Plus 7" would be a good setup for a mini DH bike??
A mini downhill bike is the worst idea ever. Half assing something has always been dumb. Do some research and figure out exactly what you want the bike to do and then set it up right. you'll be happier and probably less poor than if you make some dumb mutant bike that rides like crap.

Smelly

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
abbett1322 said:
how many freakin' times are you gonna ask this question? are you just waiting until we say yes? as i asked earlier, if you're so hell bent on doing this, why are you asking our opinion? and so you know, just because the frame is a large won't make it any less stupid of a bike.

let's put it this way -
you -->:nuts:<--rail with breakout+
rail with breakout+ gets :stosh:
rail with breakout+ is a :nope:
if you do it and hate it, you get :nopity:

abbett1322

Chimp
Dec 4, 2004
squarewheels said:
how many freakin' times are you gonna ask this question? are you just waiting until we say yes? as i asked earlier, if you're so hell bent on doing this, why are you asking our opinion? and so you know, just because the frame is a large won't make it any less stupid of a bike.

let's put it this way -
Will you tell me why it's such a bad idea?????? :help: :help: :help: :help: :help:

The Kadvang

I rule
Apr 13, 2004
six five oh
abbett1322 said:
Will you tell me why it's such a bad idea?????? :help: :help: :help: :help: :help:
The rail is a short-travel slalom bike, designed for racing 4x and DS. It is not even a 'freeride' bike. Putting a 7 inch fork like the breakout plus on it will slack it out way too much, along with jacking your bottom bracket sky-high. It will not ride well at all for either DH or 4x, period. If you want a mini DH bike, get something with 6 and 6 inches of travel, like a Specialized SX Trail. Generally, you want balanced travel, not something with 4.5 in the back and 7 in the front.

abbett1322

Chimp
Dec 4, 2004
The Kadvang said:
The rail is a short-travel slalom bike, designed for racing 4x and DS. It is not even a 'freeride' bike. Putting a 7 inch fork like the breakout plus on it will slack it out way too much, along with jacking your bottom bracket sky-high. It will not ride well at all for either DH or 4x, period. If you want a mini DH bike, get something with 6 and 6 inches of travel, like a Specialized SX Trail. Generally, you want balanced travel, not something with 4.5 in the back and 7 in the front.
I don't have enough $$$$ for a freeride frame. And the thing with the Breakout is that I can switch the travel between 130-170. When riding around, I could set the travel at 130 and when doing a drop 170.

Dirty

Aug 3, 2003
ok, its time for everyone to just stop responding to this thread...cause hes so dense he'll never get it....not worth our time...

redical

Monkey
May 19, 2004
squarewheels said:

let's put it this way -
:mumble:

May 26, 2004
Denver
I don't have enough $$$$ for a freeride frame.
There are a ton of great riding bikes to be had out there for little cash, certainly less than a Turner Rail. You could get a Specialized Bighit Comp complete for less than the price of most "freeride frames". The point we are all trying to force into your head is that the frame you have your heart set on is designed for a very specific style of riding, which is not what you want to do on it. Manufacturers design their bikes around a certain range of travel for a reason. The balance of travel is very important to how the bike absorbs bumps, and to how the bike handles, and where stress is put on the frame. Its even possible that you could break your headtube, because the frame is not made to handle the stress that the extra leverage of a seven inch travel fork would put on it. If you only had it in the long travel setting when you did big drops all these factors would still affect you. Everyone here is giving you good advice, just be a little more openminded.

abbett1322

Chimp
Dec 4, 2004
alonedrinkin' said:
There are a ton of great riding bikes to be had out there for little cash, certainly less than a Turner Rail. You could get a Specialized Bighit Comp complete for less than the price of most "freeride frames". The point we are all trying to force into your head is that the frame you have your heart set on is designed for a very specific style of riding, which is not what you want to do on it. Manufacturers design their bikes around a certain range of travel for a reason. The balance of travel is very important to how the bike absorbs bumps, and to how the bike handles, and where stress is put on the frame. Its even possible that you could break your headtube, because the frame is not made to handle the stress that the extra leverage of a seven inch travel fork would put on it. If you only had it in the long travel setting when you did big drops all these factors would still affect you. Everyone here is giving you good advice, just be a little more openminded.
Thanks a lot for being nice. :) :) I'm pretty new at this, so I'm trying to take as much advice as possible. I was just thinking: since I like the feel of the Sherman line so much, why not get the 2005 Manitou Sherman Firefly. It has the long 150 mm travel that I want, and it can adjust instantly to 110 mm!!! What do you think?? Sounds perfect to me.