Quantcast

2005-2006 Intense M3 BB Shell width

Discussion in 'Downhill & Freeride' started by hellonasty, Nov 16, 2005.

1. hellonasty

hellonasty Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 0
    I just looked at the new Intense website and while browsing in the M3 section, I notice in the frame specs that the BB Shell width was 83mm!! Is it me or in 2005 it was 73mm??? Can someone light me up on this one, 'cause I want to buy an M3, but already have my Saint 73mm crankset, does this means I will have to buy the Saint M805 crankset??

Thanks guys.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. DIRTWRKS

DIRTWRKS Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    Must be a typo it's 73mm x 128mm for my 2005 M3 and I don't think they made any changes for 2006.

3. Cant Climb

Cant Climb Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 10
    you might want to double check with them about the first generation Saint cranks....they clip the frame, the M805's do not.

4. hellonasty

hellonasty Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 0
    Here is a screenshot of the website.

Attached Files:

5. heikkihall

heikkihall Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    7 / 0
    If they did go to an 83mm shell it would deffinately make the chainline better for the 150 rear end users. Did they take away the 135 rear end option? And it would also eliminate the crank/ seatstay contact issues.

6. Cant Climb

Cant Climb Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 10
    I just talked to them last week. They may make 150 the only option in the future. I just built mine with 73X118.....i got a good 1/2 inch of clearance with 170 Holzfellers and some grinding.

With 135 you can build/buy QR or 10 mm wheels for next to nothing......its the way to go financially.

7. heikkihall

heikkihall Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    7 / 0
    What width bottom bracket spindle are you running? Is possible with ISIS cranks/ BB to make for a great chainline, and not require any grinding of the cranks. But you need to run the 150 rear end to get that chainline.
    Its deffinately a cool option to be able to run 135 or 150 and I see advantages to both. But for downhill I see the advantages of the 150 far outweighing 135. Whatever works for you though.

8. Dogboy

Dogboy Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    17 / 208
    There are a lot more 150mm hub options now than there was a couple of years ago. You should be able to find a hub for just about any budget. And the chainline, tire clearance, crank/frame clearance benefits far outweigh the cost difference IMO.

9. Cant Climb

Cant Climb Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 10
    If you already own a bunch of 135 wheels then the most
    cost-effective strategy is holding onto them. Also you'd be surprised what a bike shop can get you in 135 QR,10mm disc wheel that come builtup. There is some very inexpensive and good stuff out there.

Technically 150 is better, no question about that.

10. intensified

intensified Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 4
    I went with a 135 r to salvage some wheels with a 12mm thru axle setup. The xtr cranks from the m1 didn't make it though with a 73,112.5 bb. Profiles with the longest spline worked and only needed a small amount of grinding to clear the frame,,,, good to know about the saints.

11. hellonasty

hellonasty Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 0
    Just to set things up, I've wrote an e-mail to Intense and here is the answer they sent me back:

I am in the process of buying an M3 frame, but I just read on your website (in M3 geometry) that the BB shell width of the M3 for 2006 is 83mm, but in 2005 was 73mm. In your FAQ section, you wrote that the M3 had a 73mm shell. Did you changed it or is it just a typo error?? Thanks.

Answer:

For 2006 the m3 will be getting a 83mm bb shell.

Best Regards,

Christos Angelopoulos
    Sales Service
    Intense Cycles

In case some of you would need the info.

12. AlberTop

AlberTop Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 0
    Agreed. I don't think they made any changes for 2006.

13. vitox

vitox Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 1
    its a wise move though, gonna be harder to get cranks for it but once you have that then there should be no need for grinding and swearing which seems to be a very integral part of setting up the 73mm bb shell m3's

14. Zutroy

Zutroy Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0

It should be pretty easy to get BB and cranks this season, most people are rolling out 83mm stuff since a bunch of the frame builders have an 83mm shell now.