Quantcast

2005-2009 Mavic 729s. Changes???

Freeridin'

Monkey
Oct 23, 2006
Colorado
Are there any differences between the older, gray Mavic 729s opposed to the newest version?

Same shape? Material? Weight?

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
The gray ones have a hard ceramic coating on them, but I believe Mavic stopped using this coating throughout their entire line, which is why the newer models are black. So no, the rims have not changed.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
ceramic was usually used for braking, as in v-brakes. made the surface more durable to wear. doubtful it does much for disk rims.

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Lots of wrong in this thread. CD = Couche Dure = hard anodising. NOT ceramic. Ceramic is used to improve braking when using rim brakes, so not much point putting it on the 729. Not sure if the CD version of the 729 is still available. I have an old 321CD (same profile but different material to the 729). The hard anodising makes the rim material a little stiffer, so less prone to folding sidewalls but trickier to bend out any dings you do get with a wrench.

As far as I know, if it's badged as a 729, it's made from the latest 7 series maxtal alloy. The shape/profile of the rim hasn't changed since it's inception, when it was badged the 321 and used the older alloy.

Freeridin'

Monkey
Oct 23, 2006
Colorado
Thanks for clearing things up.

I'm I correct in thinking that the weights (CD vs. no CD) would be unaffected since it is only anodizing?

yd35

Monkey
Oct 28, 2008
NY
At first glance, I read couche dure as douche cure, and thought, how hilarious. Upon closer examination I saw my mistake. Very disappointing.