Quantcast

2005 24 Hours of Dalton

onionhead

Chimp
Dec 31, 2004
Central Massachusetts
splat said:
I think That was crazysweepeer the Bell ringer !

and Lets not forget Crazysweeper and his ringing the bell in the timing tent at 1 am and up at checkpoint #1
Cool, thanks...

Yeah, that was me up there who was a little confused when I heard that was you we were checking in. I met you at Nam late last year on some after-work ride. You rode with our group, took some pics, and showed us the swamp-drop(?) and some things like that.

We were having a hell of a time with the bells early in the morning. It was nice to see how fired up some riders got from it.

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
Nice job, all,... looks like you all had a blast.

I might have to think about heading up for next year.

Any of you guys coming down to Snowshoe or Seven Springs this year, or even better, the Shenendoah 100, or SSWC? Sorry to derail a bit.

Nice representing on the RM jerseys!

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Nice job everyone - racing in heat is just another added factor. It's hard enough without the heat so you should all feel totally great about yourselves.

Crazy Sweeper

more COWBELL!
Jun 4, 2004
In a box
yeah I was at checkpoint 1 onion. I had a blast volunteering, I'm still pissed off at that nurse for telling me to stop using my bell at 1am. I had the whole tent motivated and cheering people on when they came through. But the nurse wanted to sleep so I had to stop. Honestly though, was I annoying or motivating? I KNOW I really helped some people out at checkpoint 1. For the record, onion and I made sure to let the organizers know that they were almost out of water and gatorade at 8am. Not sure where the problem was, actually by 5am we had everything ready to go all they had to do was send somebody up to pick up our jugs.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Crazy Sweeper said:
yeah I was at checkpoint 1 onion. I had a blast volunteering, I'm still pissed off at that nurse for telling me to stop using my bell at 1am. I had the whole tent motivated and cheering people on when they came through. But the nurse wanted to sleep so I had to stop. Honestly though, was I annoying or motivating? I KNOW I really helped some people out at checkpoint 1. For the record, onion and I made sure to let the organizers know that they were almost out of water and gatorade at 8am. Not sure where the problem was, actually by 5am we had everything ready to go all they had to do was send somebody up to pick up our jugs.
i wasnt there BUT ANY enthusiasm anybody show's the racers is MOTIVATING not annoying. It might be annoying to the spectators but it’s not really about them now is it?:p

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Crazy Sweeper said:
The bell was LOUD in that tent man, but any cheering really helps motivate us, especially at frikkin 3:00AM when NO ONE is out there cheering. Last year at the over/under, they had it lit all night and there were always one or two people cheering. This year there was no one cheering at night....just you, Sweeper! :D

FYI, I got up to checkpoint 1 around 9:15 and they did have Gatorade.

ghostrider

7034 miles, still no custom title
Jan 6, 2003
Shadows of Mt Boney, CA.
Flippin sweet. Looks like you all had a blast. Wish I could have been there. Although, I wonder if anybody anywhere has ever done a 24 hour race without some sort of weather related misery? 90+ degress is just too damn hot. Just once I want to do one where I don't freeze, melt, burst into flames, wallow in mud, or wash away in a flood.

Greasey Monkey, you know that you are now required to defend that trophy in Tucson. I'd start working on the approvals from family members now if I were you.

mogulskr

Monkey
Aug 28, 2002
NH
Crazy Sweeper said:
Were you wearing the 'I'm so Freeride shirt' ? I thought the bell ringing and cheering every team coming into tent was cool.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
Echo said:
A few more awards:

Humanitarian Award. Crashby, obviously.

Loudest Volunteer Award: Crazy Sweeper.

Trooper Award: (tie) Alex (stuntmatty's GF) and TreeSaw. Alex gets the award because this was her first bike race ever and it was under some pretty tough conditions. TreeSaw gets the award because, well I'll let her tell ya :)

Hard Core Freerider Award: (tie) stuntmatty and Alex. I'm pretty sure they were the only riders on the course using flat pedals.

Popped 24 Hour Cherry Award: Goddy43, MCGRP01, Alex, Sorgie, Crashby.

Most Improved Riders Award: EVERYONE! :thumb:
2 more

Most Laps by a Monkey: Westy (14laps)

Most improved lap times: (note: This catagory has not been varified w/official results) Greasymonkey, JT and yet to be determined

Crashby

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Rochester, NY
Echo said:
So for a quick rundown of the "awards"...

Ridemonkey Cup: This most prestigous of awards should have gone to 4 Monkeys and a Baboon. However, being the great sports that they are, they insisted that the Cup go to Team Jackalope, because of the 1.5 hours lost while Crashby was on course helping an injured rider. The Jackalopes have officially protested this decision, due to the fact that Bab's team probably would have beaten us anyway.

Certainly a nice gesture, but I share in the protest... in our hearts and minds, the cup is to be shared by all the participating monkeys for a weekend never to be forgotten.

Experiences like the ones we had this weekend always put things in perspective. Whats really important in life. I appreciate the kind words about what I was able to do for Tom (the fallen rider) this weekend, but I was just lucky to be the one to help at that place and time. I will never ever forget the feeling of reviving another human being four or five times after they have stopped breathing.

Anyone of you would have done exactly the same.

Last I heard (at the first aid tent yesterday) was that he was in guarded condition and awaiting a neurosurgeon to fly in to operate on a bleeding portion of his brain. Perhaps somehow we will get an update, but in the mean time, our thoughts will be with him.

Thanks everyone for being part of my 1st 24 hour race! :thumb:

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
Wow...what a weekend! I had an amazing time, and met some amazing people!! Props go out to all the Monkey's that were at Dalton, you all rock!! :thumb:

I'd like to give a special shout-out to Westy! A truly amazing performance man, you were an inspiration out there. Whether it was daytime or the dead of night, you came through the transition area with a smile on your face, and were never to busy to say "hi". You make me want to be a better racer.

Here's a short synopsis of my weekend...

Goddy43 and I arrived at Holiday Farm around 2:30pm on Friday. It wasn't that hard to find...

As we drove up the access road looking for our campsite, it was easy to tell when we had arrived thanks to Splat's thoughtful placement of this banner.

Once we got parked and got things somewhat set-up, it was time to make sure the bikes were gonna work.

In the other direction was Monkey Central with the camps of 4MAAB, the Jackalopes and the Ass Balancers.

As the sun set on Fri., everything was ready to go at Team H.O.H's camp. (Thanks to Elevate Cycles for their support this weekend!)

As Saturday arrived, the rest of our team showed up with smiles on their faces, and ready to RIDE!!! (Suckers!! :devil: )

L-R: Rob, Goddy43, Me, Richie & Jim

Our vounteers went right to work as well! ;)

Before long the race was about to start and everyone proceeded to the start/transition area.

L-R: Sq-Earl, Treesaw, Me

Things got underway and the race was on!

Me at the "under"

Goddy43 just off the "over"

Jim attacking the climb just after the "under"

After the first lap I was in need of hydration!! Racing in 96 degree heat will do that to ya'...

After Lap #1, things got busy, and I wasn't able to take many pics. I know Goddy43 took a bunch so hopefully he'll get his posted at some point.

In the end Team Humanity's Only Hope finished the way we started...with a smile! :)

Crazy Sweeper

more COWBELL!
Jun 4, 2004
In a box
McGRP01 said:
Were you at checkpoint one around 4am? Did I call you Beth? I was a bit "out of it" by that time.
I got there a little after 4, onion and i relieve 2 girls and a dude (lucky guy) I got stuck up there with a guy named onion (not just a clever name) :D

I wonder if westy knows who I am now, I don't know him personally but I knew his number when he went through and I would always start yelling and screaming cheering for ridemonkey and him, by name, he had no idea who I was so he kept looking at me funny. That bell was loud, I didn't realize my ears were hurting until that nurse made me stop. I had everybody in the tent going pretty well until the nurse showed up, a lot of people didn't really have the enthusiasm I did at 3am but I peer pressured them into it. It was nice to see those people start smiling, you could tell that the last thing they were expecting that late was somebody cheering for them.

Yeah I was wearing the I'm so freeride shirt that was like 3 sizes too big for me.

onionhead

Chimp
Dec 31, 2004
Central Massachusetts
Crazy Sweeper said:
I got there a little after 4, onion and i relieve 2 girls and a dude (lucky guy) I got stuck up there with a guy named onion (not just a clever name) :D
Hey now!

That dude 'did' mention the girls were completely miserable, so maybe it was better that way... but I was thinking the same way you were.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
onionhead said:
Hey now!

That dude 'did' mention the girls were completely miserable, so maybe it was better that way... but I was thinking the same way you were.
LOL!!! I think you 2 relieved my sisters (twins) and their friend. They were pretty miserable because of the bugs and the fact that their shift was supposed to end at midnight and they were there until 3am. ;)

I can't really thank the volunteers enough. It was awesome to have someone that I knew at the checkpoints for every lap that I did. Your cheers and assistance were much needed and quite the motivation to get out there again! THANK YOU!!!!

onionhead

Chimp
Dec 31, 2004
Central Massachusetts
TreeSaw said:
LOL!!! I think you 2 relieved my sisters (twins) and their friend. They were pretty miserable because of the bugs and the fact that their shift was supposed to end at midnight and they were there until 3am. ;)

I can't really thank the volunteers enough. It was awesome to have someone that I knew at the checkpoints for every lap that I did. Your cheers and assistance were much needed and quite the motivation to get out there again! THANK YOU!!!!
That's too funny... someone in my travels between my tent and Checkpoint #1 (I was tired and loopy until I realized I had a duty to perform up there when that John Deere disappeared from sight), someone mentioned that they asked (or just "had"?) one checkpoint stay 4 hours later than they were supposed to. For some reason I thought it was #2. There's definitely no need to excuse the miserableness... ;)

The bugs were horrendous. When there wasn't any bikers around to cheer for, all you could hear were the swarms of mosquitos around you. They definitely weren't seasoned mosquitos though... The OFF I had on worked awesome. Or maybe it was that onion thing Crazy-S was talking about. But anyway.

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
Does anyone knows a girl that was volunteering at Checkpoint #1 between 3:30am - 8am? She would have been wearing a navy blue or back hooded sweatshirt. I passed there around 4am on my lap and a female yelled, "Good job Tigg!!" I thought it was one of our volunteers so I yelled back, "Thanks Beth", only to see Beth volunteering at the timing truck when I finished my lap!?!? :confused:

Of course it could just be that all the ladies were recognizing me by the end of the race. :evil:

Edit: I guess it could have been a guy with a really high voice??? It was 4am, and I was exhausted!! :dead:

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
onionhead said:
That's too funny... someone in my travels between my tent and Checkpoint #1 (I was tired and loopy until I realized I had a duty to perform up there when that John Deere disappeared from sight), someone mentioned that they asked (or just "had"?) one checkpoint stay 4 hours later than they were supposed to. For some reason I thought it was #2. There's definitely no need to excuse the miserableness... ;)

The bugs were horrendous. When there wasn't any bikers around to cheer for, all you could hear were the swarms of mosquitos around you. They definitely weren't seasoned mosquitos though... The OFF I had on worked awesome. Or maybe it was that onion thing Crazy-S was talking about. But anyway.
LOL! No need to worry...I picked on them quite a bit about the miserable attitudes they came in with. They said the same thing about the bugs...no amount of spray in the world was getting rid of them. I think they had a good time overall, they were quite tired and grumpy (perhaps because they didn't bring enough beers up with them).

onionhead

Chimp
Dec 31, 2004
Central Massachusetts
TreeSaw said:
LOL! No need to worry...I picked on them quite a bit about the miserable attitudes they came in with. They said the same thing about the bugs...no amount of spray in the world was getting rid of them. I think they had a good time overall, they were quite tired and grumpy (perhaps because they didn't bring enough beers up with them).
That's too funny... My team told me to bring a backpack up full of beer. Some for me, some for whichever team-member of ours was coming through.

I didn't bring any... (I nearly got wasted off of two late in the day) but I'm up there waiting and waiting. Nothing. Nobody comes by. I get back and from 50 yards away, I see empties sitting on the bumper of their truck... they might as well have raised a while flag on a pole... ;)

onionhead

Chimp
Dec 31, 2004
Central Massachusetts
McGRP01 said:
Does anyone knows a girl that was volunteering at Checkpoint #1 between 3:30am - 8am?
That was Crazy and I's shift up there. Well, from around to just after 4am to 8am. I had a t-shirt and hat on the whole time. He may have had a sweatshirt, I don't remember. He didn't seem to have a high pitched voice to me. ;) There were a two girls up there from 3:30 to a little after 4...

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
onionhead said:
That was Crazy and I's shift up there. Well, from around to just after 4am to 8am. I had a t-shirt and hat on the whole time. He may have had a sweatshirt, I don't remember. He didn't seem to have a high pitched voice to me. ;) There were a two girls up there from 3:30 to a little after 4...
Maybe I was asleep at the wheel and dreaming? :think:

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Well, what can I say....another amazing weekend of riding with some awesome :monkey: s. It is so wonderful to have such a group of people to meet up with and ride with and have so much fun with. When the race started, it was so much fun to cheer for so many different familiar faces...I think people were beginning to look at me funny at the over-under when I cheered for Sq-Earl, then Westy, then Wiley (local rider/racer and friend), Splat, Stuntmatty and Tigg. It seemed like I knew someone coming through every 3-4 people :D

Team Jackalope: When Sq-Earl ran so fast and came through the over-under 8th on his first lap :eek: I knew it was going to be a long race ;) Echo posted up fast times as expected and rocked the course on a hardtail (not sure how your arse survived some of those techy sections as I was definately using my suspension). Tweek (sure---he says he didn't really train) comes in with fast times and still manages to make sure I stayed hydrated and fed. Then there was me...I was disappointed that my times weren't faster as I had trained and really worked for this race...my lame excuse for slow lap times is the fact that I'm 9-10 weeks pregnant. The biggest challenge for me was trying to keep my heart rate down and trust me...that was tough. Then there was Crashby, who not only turns some smokin' fast lap times on his first 24 hr. race, but reminds everyone who knows and loves him of why he is such a truly wonderful person though his humble humanitarian actions. I was not at all surprised that he would stop to help a fallen rider but am definately proud of him none-the-less.

Team Ass Balancers: Stuntmatty rockin' the flats got faster and faster on every lap he rode. I can only imagine how much fun he was having on the downhill sections. Greasy Monkey got hella fast and managed to smoke just about everyone out there (the fastest male at the race was 3 minutes faster than Bob) and definately gets my vote for most improved lap times. Sorgie comes out on top with his first 24 hour race and proves to be quite the competitor...not that I doubted he would be ;) Instigator humbly says he's not in good shape and that he wasn't as ready to race as last year and yet he manages to turn in some FAST times...:think: Then there was Alex in her first ever mtb race...never without a smile and out there having a blast despite the heat.

4 Monkeys & a Baboon: What can I say...Mr. & Mrs. Splat took more awesome photos (which is great because a lot of the ones my sisters took were blurry :( ) and motivated me to keep pedaling through a tough section of singletrack when he passed me on my night lap; Dalton Doug held his title of fast-mo-fo for five blistering laps and managed to scare the crap out of me when I was coming down the downhill section (near the end of the course) as he was heading through the beginning singletrack...I heard someone start cheering for me and had no idea who it was until later that morning; IAB, despite some cramping, turned in some fast laps and always had a smile on his face; Jollytime got a new bike (thankfully he wasn't going to be passing me on a heavy bullit again this year) and had the pleasure of passing me on my second lap out...atleast I made it farther this year than last year before the inevitable pass ;) MMcG battled through the pain of his recent knee injury to turn some laps for his team...what a trooper :thumb: and his very well-behaved sons were there to cheer him on. Justbill get the chef of the race award again...the smells coming from his cooking were absolutely amazing, and he was always coming by with something to share.

Humanities Only Hope: Making their first ever appearance at Dalton came through with some good times and appeared to be having fun. It was nice to see some more familiar faces around the race course. Hopefully next year they'll return and whoop it up with the rest of us one more time :thumb:

The King Monkey Himself--Westy: I have never had the pleasure of meeting a kinder more inspirational person. 24 hours, 14 laps, 97 degree heat and he always had a smile on his face. It was a pleasure to ride with you and be passed by you...even if you blew by me like I was sitting still ;)

Thank you to all of my teammates and friends who watched out for me, kept reminding me to eat and drink and check my heart rate...I definately couldn't have done it without you. Also, a big thank you goes out to the volunteers as well...my sisters Holly & Heather, their friend Heather, Kelly (Tigg's wife), Beth, Mrs. Splat, Crazy Sweeper, Onion and anyone that I have forgotten...your cheers are what kept us going lap after lap after lap.

As always, it was a great time with some great people and some great riding. I can't wait until next year :thumb:

onionhead

Chimp
Dec 31, 2004
Central Massachusetts
...I got a kick out of the guys with the viking hats. I still laugh when I picture one of them (a bigger guy) yelling "What's in your wallet?!" to people as he's going down the long straighaway after the start, past our site...

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
onionhead said:
...I got a kick out of the guys with the Viking hats. I still laugh when I picture one of them (a bigger guy) yelling "What's in your wallet?!" to people as he's going down the long straighaway after the start, past our site...
They were definately a site...their race runner ran in a kilt with a thor hammer too...it was hilarious!!!

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
TreeSaw said:
BWAAAHHH!!! That other guy is Wiley...he's a friend. I ride with his wife Heather Mosley (pro-racer sponsored by Specialized) sometimes :D
Well tell him to be more considerate of photographers next time he does a Le Mans start. :monkey:

greasey monkey

bow down
Mar 11, 2004
victor NY
What a great weekend!!!!! It was great to ride,race,and hang out with a bunch of friends. Treesaw thanks for taking care of us all by making sure we had all the food we could eat!!! Bill the plantains and pizza at 3am :thumb: thanks!!! Everyone had very respectable lap times and did a great job in all the heat!!! I can't wait till next year!!!

T-blazer thanks for all your support!!!!!!

splat

Nam I am
OK here we go ! Round 1 of my Pics ! this is after going through slightly less than half of what I have.

So let us Start .

When Family Splat arrived at Monkey compound , JustBill and Dalton Doug were there. and Doug was itching to get riding , so My wife ( Magsterrap ) and I went out with Doug on an abrivated ride, we basically took a short cut all the way to the top. but no less climbing. here is Magsterrap sporting her Monkey Jersey on the climb cursing out the hill , and decided she was glad she was not racing it.

And this sign ! I hated it ! Because you were not!!!

Well we got back to camp , and a couple of the members of Humanitys only hope were about to go out for a pre-ride , so off Doug and I go again ( this time sans Wife )

here are SoMe one (I forget his name , If you don't have an RM handle , I'm going to forget it :) ) and Goddy43

and here is MGRP01 ( tigg ) Dalton Doug and Goddy43 right after the Manure Pile Turn

Tigg , Goddy43 and Unsure of name , on the Field with the L turn on the edge ( this is where I caught treesaw on my Last lap.

JustBill and Doug doing some last minute adjustments to his brake levers.

Sunset

Hanging around Monkey Camp enjoying Bills Pancakes , eggs , bacon, etc ,etc
L TO R

JT, Magsterrap, I Are baboon, Douglas and Just Bill. MMcG had not arrived yet.

westy , JRA , at t Minus 2:11

I have a 2 Hr gap on pics here ,that is due to my Own stupidity , they are on my Computer at work, I'll have to post them later .

Any way we are off on the run. Here is Viking boy ! sheding his Chain mail

And here I am comingthrough the Chute I did it in 3:22 not bad considering I had to go back about 50 yards to pick up my cell phone which fell out of my Pocket while running

Tweek Coming through the Under

Dalton Doug On the Over

IRB coing out of the Under

Tree saw making the turn into the Under

Tree Saw in the Under

IRB speeding into the over

JT About to turn into the Under

and That is all for now

Tweek

I Love Cheap Beer!
Well, like Treesaw said, not much I can add to what's been posted since I feel the same way. It was great seeing all you monkeys again, especially since I've been offline for a while. Racing against/with you guys makes the hours seem less painful & stressful.
Missed having ghostrider, Deyv, and Isa, but also had much fun with Sorgie, Alex, and Crashby (I'm proud of ya, bro') there this year.
Hey Greasy -- You know if If you slow down, your BB bearings will last longer?! :D
My only hope for next year is if they make things safer and better-organized. I know I already bitched about the course sketchiness, emergency response, and lack of liquids at the checkpoint, but it's stuff like that that should be a "given" at an Adrenalin event. Which reminds me -- many thanks to our volunteers!
Anyway, hope to be online more soon and see you at Monkeyfest! Cheers to all for a great weekend! :thumb: