Quantcast

2005 24 Hours of Dalton

Tweek

I Love Cheap Beer!
My one true night lap (previous one was just before sunset) was OK. I had plenty of time to rest since Crashby was out being a hero. I caught up with Instigator at "The Demoralizer" and then we rode the rest of the lap together. With the extra light, I made it back safely. At that point, it was about riding with friends more than trying to get a hot lap in.

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
Tweek said:
My one true night lap (previous one was just before sunset) was OK. I had plenty of time to rest since Crashby was out being a hero. I caught up with Instigator at "The Demoralizer" and then we rode the rest of the lap together. With the extra light, I made it back safely. At that point, it was about riding with friends more than trying to get a hot lap in.
WHOA!!! where have YOU been...better yet...WHERE is THE THREAD! hahaha...juuuust kidding! :D

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I seem to do alright riding at night when fresh but when turning laps at night when tired it is a real challenge, I seem to have problems getting my bike to track where I want it to.

I found a solution to the problem of the lights pushing my helmet down. I cut a few chunks out of a mouse pad and wedge them under the back of my helmet mount. This basically makes the light point down more and lets me place the light farther back on the helmet where it is in a good balanced position.

Instigator

ass balancer
Aug 22, 2001
Rochester, NY
Tweek said:
Riding with Tweek made that night lap my favorite out of all my laps. It was good to be riding some trails with a friend. Thanks, Tweek :thumb:

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
I Are Baboon said:
Dalton Doug is wise!!

Hey, did anyone else find the night laps to be mentally exhausting? Maybe it's just my inexperience with night riding, but you have to concentrate and focus so freakin hard on the trail in front of you (especially on descents), you are mentally drained by the end of the lap. The pedaling itself isn't any harder than day laps, but I found the mental focus to be really draining.
I found the rocks and roots to be MUCH more slippery at night! I was slippin' and slidin' all over the place. Ended up off the bike several times before I even reached the fireroad climb. Guess I should be glad that my night lap was only 15 mins. slower than my daytime ones.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
McGRP01 said:
I found the rocks and roots to be MUCH more slippery at night! I was slippin' and slidin' all over the place. Ended up off the bike several times before I even reached the fireroad climb. Guess I should be glad that my night lap was only 15 mins. slower than my daytime ones.
So you guys are IN for next year, right? :)

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
McGRP01 said:

same here (sliding all over)

- it occured to me after my night lap, 40 lbs of air in dry condition only tires was not the way to rock my night lap :rolleyes:

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
I Are Baboon said:
So you guys are IN for next year, right? :)
Yep, we're in! :thumb:

Actually right now I'm in the process of getting a team together for the 24-Hours of the Adirondacks in Lake Placid, NY in Sept.!! Maybe you other teams wanna come up for that one? :D

Crazy Sweeper

more COWBELL!
Jun 4, 2004
In a box
Echo said:
My night lap was probably my most fun lap of the race, I was just blasting along, totally focused on the trail. It rocked :thumb:
I didn't know it could get better than your last lap, when treesaw and I found you, you looked like a kid in a candy store, or an old man in a booby bar....

I don't know about this year, but I definitely want to try and race next year. Maybe not race it but at least join a team and put in my laps.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
My 2nd lap was my sweet lap, I held back some then did the 1st 1/2 of the road climb in my middle ring, and just tore threw the DH, pipeline and the last singletrack - I am still shocked they have had that lap as the same time as my 1st one.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
McGRP01 said:
Nice! Jim that was on my team in Dalton has done the 24-Hours of ADK. the past 2 years and is doing it again with his old team again this year I believe. I think Goddy43 is in with me for our team, but we may be looking for 3 more.
It looks like that race does not have five person teams, only four person. Any idea what kind of elevation gain the previous races have had?

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
I Are Baboon said:
It looks like that race does not have five person teams, only four person. Any idea what kind of elevation gain the previous races have had?
4 person works for me. I'm not positive about elevation, but Jim did say the course last year was easier than the one at Dalton. Not as much climbing anyway!

ell bee

Chimp
Jun 1, 2003
Olean, NY
Treesaw (and Sq-Earl) Congrats on the little one on the way!

Crashby- You are self-less...bet a lot of people wanted to hug you for that one! Great job!

I haven't been on RM since April, but I thought this race was recently, so I wanted to see how it went. Sounds like you all had fun. I've just been riding a lot of flat land. There is a small area here that has a few tricks I've been venturing on to.

I've also been spending some time in Saranac Lake...looking at a culinary Program at Paul Smith's College, but haven't gotten the nerve up to venture out to White Face yet...seeing as my first (and only) trip there didn't turn out great...I was, by no means ready, but Shrimp and Instigator kept encouraging me to push myself, so I learned a lot those couple of days.

Maybe if I end up moving I'll hook up with some ADK riders and learn more DH stuff and some day be able to ride with the BIG DOGS!

Great job everyone.

Crashby

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Rochester, NY
I Are Baboon said:
Elevation profile of the Dalton course. I took this using my GPS on the Friday pre-ride.
A most excellent contribution!

Thanks...

and to think that a solo rider climbs over 20,000 feet in 24 hours... gah!!!!

splat

Nam I am
NMo Offense but this one Looks better ( more realistic ) stolen from Crankfire.com

or this one looks pretty bad , and it says there is a total evelavtion chage of 805 ft ( from High to low point )

and while I was Over I raided the Pics too :D

JustBill and JustNoah watching the start.

and that is my Son :love: running to follow me ! in the bottom of the picture

Alex Waiting for Stuntmatty to Come in

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
You say MORE PICS? Ok...

Instigator with some Friday tuneups.

Now a few pics from the Friday preride...

Instigator in the under.

Bunches o' Monkeys! The only reason I got this pic is because I went ahead of the group while Tweek fixed a flat.

Heading down the horse fields.

Treesaw riding the planks. I only cleared these planks once during the race. I don't think the planks were really necessary though.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
From the kids race....

Splat's boy with some warmups! :D

Splat's daughter. Too cute for words!

MMcG's son. MMcG was in the middle of a lap during the kids race, so he missed it. :(

Mark's boy again hammering!

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Splat is all smiles before the race! Actually, Splat was all smiles all weekend. :)

Treesaw on the over. I timed this pic pretty good. :D

JT wrapping up his first lap.

Ths guy crashed in the under, and he had to move quickly to get out of Squirrel's way. You can see Squirrel in the background.

Finally, my dirty backup bike. She served me so well. I'm proud of her. :)