Quantcast

2005 888 preload clip replacement?

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Argh, changing oil on the 2005 888 (which was used for like 3 rides, then put away till now...figured the old oil should be rejuvenated...).

Tiny wire retaining clip that holds the spring cap in place at the appropriate preload (part 29 in the diagram, with NO CORRESPONDING PART NUMBER IN THE LIST SEE HOW IT SKIPS OVER FROM 28 TO 30 GRRR) went flying when I was trying to put it on.

I wrote Marzocchi but figured I'd check here too, if anyone knows of a suitable replacement or can point me towards a place to get a few easily online. McMaster has nothing that's identical but a variety of c-clips and other retaining bits.

1606674508056.png

Grrrrrrr. Thx.

MD

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Wow, that's a really bad picture. Can't make out the parts, but is it a small C-clip like the older marzocchis? It looks to have the same basic design.

p4pb3887849.jpg

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I have nothing to add, but that is pretty funny (and messed up) that the ONE part you need to find, is missing from the parts list.

Maybe shoot the guys at DVO a message, they came from Marzocchi.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Wow, that's a really bad picture. Can't make out the parts, but is it a small C-clip like the older marzocchis? It looks to have the same basic design.
It's not a c-clip; it's just a tiny wire that seats in the center of the spring cap. A c-clip might work but I'm not an engineer and this is one of those things that seems like "Oh a C-clip will be fine, don't be a ninny" prior to "how'd you lose your entire front jaw again?"

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
It's not a c-clip; it's just a tiny wire that seats in the center of the spring cap. A c-clip might work but I'm not an engineer and this is one of those things that seems like "Oh a C-clip will be fine, don't be a ninny" prior to "how'd you lose your entire front jaw again?"
I think I know the part you are describing now. I’d think it’d be a common industrial part.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I was a little shocked when I didn't see it at McMaster, honestly. I figured it'd be with all the other styles of retaining ring, but can't find anything similar.

The groove is both shallow and narrow, so I'm unsure if some other type of clip will grasp adequately, keep the spring cap in the right position, or be subject to some force the smaller wire clip wouldn't because it sticks out more.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Have you considered just using some electrical tape?

(sorry, might be over your head if you haven't been here for a while)

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Yes. But then I thought a bent paper clip might be better.

Not saying whether or not I actually might have tried that.

velocipedist

Lubrication Sensei
Jul 11, 2006
Rainbow City Alabama
Last edited:

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
That's it! Thanks man!!!

Marzo of course can't help because it's pre-Fox. :brow:

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Marz did direct me here, which I had NO idea existed and may be a treasure trove for me...

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Marz did direct me here, which I had NO idea existed and may be a treasure trove for me...

This should be pinned. :thumb:

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
And he doesn't have the part, either....guess a c-clip will work...does anyone know other Marzo applications for a similar c-clip as mentioned above? Just want to see if there's any reason it shouldn't work...

velocipedist

Lubrication Sensei
Jul 11, 2006
Rainbow City Alabama
That german site above appears to have stock, of course paying 40~50 shipping (I thought you were back in the US now..) on a 3.00 part is lame, they do list a whole slew of old marz forks that same stop clip / stop ring is used on. Maybe a german monkey can help you out?

With the dimensions now, I would risk life and limb and source something close locally, maybe not a paperclip, unless HAB and Westy have a new startup in the works.

And he doesn't have the part, either....guess a c-clip will work...does anyone know other Marzo applications for a similar c-clip as mentioned above? Just want to see if there's any reason it shouldn't work...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
That german site above appears to have stock, of course paying 40~50 shipping (I thought you were back in the US now..) on a 3.00 part is lame, they do list a whole slew of old marz forks that same stop clip / stop ring is used on. Maybe a german monkey can help you out?

With the dimensions now, I would risk life and limb and source something close locally, maybe not a paperclip, unless HAB and Westy have a new startup in the works.

I don't see enough market demand to make a c-clip startup viable.