Quantcast

2005 Iron Horse Heyah

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I am curious how sagged BB height varies by design. Some designs are more progressive than others or have different wheelpaths so a 1/3 of the shock stroke in sag could make a difference on the BB height while riding depending on the bike...

The Kadvang

I rule
Apr 13, 2004
six five oh
dw said:
I don't know that the Sunday is really in the vein of any of those bike you mentioned really!

The bike was designed as a race bike, first and foremost. It does have features that make it a hell of a play bike too. The seatpost insertion is very long on the Sunday frame, 11 inches of insertion on the 19" frame and 9 on the 17" frame. Thats more than enough to fit a seat post that can be set at DH or trail height in there. Also, the seat tube ange is not crazy slack or anything, so the bike is actually comfortable with the seat up. Because of the frame's structural layout, a lot of the suspension forces are mitigated through the main uprights. This let me beef up the front end of the bike while still keep ing the bike damn light. The WC complete bike weighs in right at 40. The MadCatz team bikes, which are identical to the production Team/WC frames are weiging in at 38 with no trickery. I had a blast on my Sunday up at Whistler, and it pedals awesome, so I would have to say that the bike is very dual duty with geometry that will let you kill it on the DH courses.

dw
Awesome! Exactly what I wanted to hear. Thanks.

Benton

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
SLC
dw said:
Plus, Ive already explaned fully WHAT the bikes do, that should be enough for most riders. Without a serious background in suspension dynamics, it will be pretty difficult for a consumer to understand the inner workings without a VERY lengthy and in-depth explaination.

dw
I'm sure that's true, but I've got to second OG's request and say that the more info available the better. All of us arm-chair engineers can enjoy why you've done what you did. For me, understanding the workings behind a bike can make the bike much more desirable. If your patents are protected and you're willing to share a detailed explanation that would be exciting.

DoubleDown

Chimp
Nov 23, 2003
dw said:
I don't know that the Sunday is really in the vein of any of those bike you mentioned really!

The bike was designed as a race bike, first and foremost. It does have features that make it a hell of a play bike too. The seatpost insertion is very long on the Sunday frame, 11 inches of insertion on the 19" frame and 9 on the 17" frame. Thats more than enough to fit a seat post that can be set at DH or trail height in there. Also, the seat tube ange is not crazy slack or anything, so the bike is actually comfortable with the seat up. Because of the frame's structural layout, a lot of the suspension forces are mitigated through the main uprights. This let me beef up the front end of the bike while still keep ing the bike damn light. The WC complete bike weighs in right at 40. The MadCatz team bikes, which are identical to the production Team/WC frames are weiging in at 38 with no trickery. I had a blast on my Sunday up at Whistler, and it pedals awesome, so I would have to say that the bike is very dual duty with geometry that will let you kill it on the DH courses.

dw
The Mad Catz team bike weight is a little deceiving, especially in Sam's case. His bike is easily the lightest of the 3. He uses a Proto Boxxer, which uses an air spring. That probably saves 1 - 1 1/2 pounds right there. Plus he has a lot of Ti bolts, 4 (Ti) rotor bolts per wheel, carbon bars etc. I'm not saying the bikes aren't light, but Sam's is a big exception...

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Benton said:
I'm sure that's true, but I've got to second OG's request and say that the more info available the better. All of us arm-chair engineers can enjoy why you've done what you did. For me, understanding the workings behind a bike can make the bike much more desirable. If your patents are protected and you're willing to share a detailed explanation that would be exciting.
Benton!
What the sh!t are you doing on MY site? If you're really curious, I've got a great book on motorcycle suspension design that lays out the principles. Besides, even though he makes it sound all fancy-pantsy, the truth is he just blew his nose in a napkin and called it a linkage geometry. That's the truth. I've seen the napkin.

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
MMcG said:
so 13.9 is a favorable bb height by the majority of DH riders - or is it more attuned to the elite Pro and WC Pro type riders?
First run down a hill with that kind of height, you'll probably hate it and be worried for your pedals/crank arms. After the second run, you'll love it. You can corner so much harder when the BB is down that low, it really makes a world of difference.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
DoubleDown said:
The Mad Catz team bike weight is a little deceiving, especially in Sam's case. His bike is easily the lightest of the 3. He uses a Proto Boxxer, which uses an air spring. That probably saves 1 - 1 1/2 pounds right there. Plus he has a lot of Ti bolts, 4 (Ti) rotor bolts per wheel, carbon bars etc. I'm not saying the bikes aren't light, but Sam's is a big exception...

Actually, I was talking about Bryn's bike. Sam's bike is unreasonably light, I dont know the exact # as of today, but the weight is closer to the mid 30's than the high 30's like Bryn's. Bryn is a bruiser though, so he need the heavier and stronger components. FYI, the Iron Horse / MadCatz team frames are all identical, and identical to the frames that come with the complete bikes in 05.

dw

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
ohio said:
Benton!
What the sh!t are you doing on MY site? If you're really curious, I've got a great book on motorcycle suspension design that lays out the principles. Besides, even though he makes it sound all fancy-pantsy, the truth is he just blew his nose in a napkin and called it a linkage geometry. That's the truth. I've seen the napkin.

AAHAHAHAH

Its all true Benton, Mark got me :D

heh

In time Benton, in time. I really do want to talk more about it, but there are just so many reasons that I can't yet. Things will be better around interbike.

Dave

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
OGRipper said:
Well, I'm curious if the BBQ at Redbones is still as good as it was the last time I was there around '96...oops sorry, having a happy Boston memory...
Oh it IS good. And there is no smoking downstairs anymore. Its awesome.

Memphis ribs, some collard greens, dirty rice, cornbread, and mac-n-cheese with a bunch of beer. Thats what I'm talking about! :drool:

dw

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
syadasti said:
I am curious how sagged BB height varies by design. Some designs are more progressive than others or have different wheelpaths so a 1/3 of the shock stroke in sag could make a difference on the BB height while riding depending on the bike...
The Sunday will sag about 1/3 of its travel. I raced the bike at West Virginia and I could blast through the rock gardens no probs. I hit the bashguard a few times, but the SRS was designed for that. The SRS in part made it possible for us to even consider running BB heights this low on DH bikes. Actually in WV I was on a 7 inch fork, so BB height was in the 13.7 range.

Dave

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
This is for you MMcG!

MKIII frame geometry:

MKIII 15"
HA = 70
SA = 73.5
Eff TT = 21.5"
CS = 16.9"
BB = 13.2"
WB = 41.6"
(with 5" fork)

MKIII 17"
HA = 70
SA = 73.5
Eff TT = 22.5"
CS = 16.9"
BB = 13.2"
WB = 42.6"
(with 5" fork)

MKIII 19"
HA = 70
SA = 73.5
Eff TT = 23.25"
CS = 16.9"
BB = 13.2"
WB = 43.35"
(with 5" fork)

MKIII 21"
HA = 70
SA = 73.5
Eff TT = 24"
CS = 16.9"
BB = 13.2"
WB = 44.1"
(with 5" fork)

I am 5'11" and I have been riding a 17" MKIII prototype with a Prototype Manitou Nixon Platinum fork for the last several months, and it has been a SWEET combination. The bike just begs to be ridden hard and fast. It seems to accelerate over everything and it holds speed over all of the little roots and rocks in the trails. Its a real fun bike. I cant wait to get a production model.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
dw said:
This is for you MMcG!

MKIII frame geometry:

MKIII 15"
HA = 70
SA = 73.5
Eff TT = 21.5"
CS = 16.9"
BB = 13.2"
WB = 41.6"
(with 5" fork)

MKIII 17"
HA = 70
SA = 73.5
Eff TT = 22.5"
CS = 16.9"
BB = 13.2"
WB = 42.6"
(with 5" fork)

MKIII 19"
HA = 70
SA = 73.5
Eff TT = 23.25"
CS = 16.9"
BB = 13.2"
WB = 43.35"
(with 5" fork)

MKIII 21"
HA = 70
SA = 73.5
Eff TT = 24"
CS = 16.9"
BB = 13.2"
WB = 44.1"
(with 5" fork)

I am 5'11" and I have been riding a 17" MKIII prototype with a Prototype Manitou Nixon Platinum fork for the last several months, and it has been a SWEET combination. The bike just begs to be ridden hard and fast. It seems to accelerate over everything and it holds speed over all of the little roots and rocks in the trails. Its a real fun bike. I cant wait to get a production model.
Thanks dw - the 17" frame sounds like the right fit for me - hopefully I'll be able to find one to test drive within a reasonable drive time when they hit local bike shops.

Benton

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
SLC
ohio said:
Benton!
What the sh!t are you doing on MY site?
uhhhhh.... well.... insert something witty here about your "internet friends" etc. Maybe add in something about how I'm stalking you and trying to take over your identity. Sorry Marc, I'm in the UK now and pretty jet lagged.

Bring your book the next time we ride demo. If you pick up a 7Point bring that along as well, and you can explain it all.

As to the napkin design thing, I guess that would start to explain the curves in the 7point. They did seem fairly "organic".

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
"Memphis ribs, some collard greens, dirty rice, cornbread, and mac-n-cheese with a bunch of beer. Thats what I'm talking about! "

Nice, glad to hear that place still rocks. I can't tell you how many rides ended there..

RideND

Monkey
Nov 1, 2003
Mandan, ND
I just saw on Bikemag.com that the MKIII Team will retail at $4300. Damn I was hoping like 3500 or something because I really wanted to have the team with the Nixon Platinum fork. Any ideas what the other versions are going to cost?

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
DW you have written a lot about desing of the frame and how the suspension impacts the frame. What about the bearing and the quality of the bearings? I remember reading something from Dave Turner where is goes on about bushings are better than bearings yes/no?

davod

Chimp
Jun 13, 2004
RideND said:
I just saw on Bikemag.com that the MKIII Team will retail at $4300. Damn I was hoping like 3500 or something because I really wanted to have the team with the Nixon Platinum fork. Any ideas what the other versions are going to cost?
Normal price is generally cheaper than retail, isn't it?

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
CBJ said:
I remember reading something from Dave Turner where is goes on about bushings are better than bearings yes/no?
That's what Turner says. Something about bearings being intended to spin at high speeds, not take the abuse, loads, and minimal range of motion inherent to an F/S bike frame. As an RFX owner, I agree that bushings work, but so do well-executed bearings...

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
Acadian said:
as far as I know FSA doesn't make a 83...closest thing they make is 85x133

Truvativ on the other hand makes a 83
Ah, correct you are - but will have one for next year, according to a quick search. Todd sez:

FSA, Truvativ, & Shimano will all have 83mm BBs for 05.
http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90035&highlight=83mm

Good for Shimano, glad to see them hopping aboard a new-ish standard, after being nearly 10 years behind the ball on 20mm forks.....

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
CBJ said:
DW you have written a lot about desing of the frame and how the suspension impacts the frame. What about the bearing and the quality of the bearings? I remember reading something from Dave Turner where is goes on about bushings are better than bearings yes/no?
Keep in mind that on mr dave's DH design, he uses the kind of bushings that are housed in steel, contain either steel needles or balls, and are full of grease.

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
klunky said:
What are the team guys running? what do the complete bikes come with?
Sam et al are currently running 85x133's w/ a spacer. Production will be a 83x128.

-ska todd

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I think what he's saying is that Turner is using what most people call 'bearings,' but they're actually 'bushings.' I know there's some confusion between the terms for us non-engineers...I sure don't know the difference.

But I always thought Turner's defense of 'bushings' was aimed at the plastic plugs on which the RFX and other non-DHR rear ends pivot...not the main DHR pivot, which does use what I've always heard called (even by Turner) "needle bearings."

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
CBJ said:
Does that answer my question :confused:
Yes, so shut up.

I'm kidding. My point was just that with all D Turner's hype about bushings, he still uses bearings on the one bike they make that will take more abuse than all the others. So while bushings do work for lighter bikes for lighter riding, I find it interesting he ditches them when he knows there's going to be more stress on the pivots. In all fairness though I still have yet to see an RFX or any other bushing bike develop any play.

Even with my DHR, his stated reasons for avoiding show true. Every so often I dissasemble all my suspension bikes and rotate the bearings around full rotation a few times because I do notice in fact that bearings do develop some wear when their range of motion is so limited. They get rough. After rotating them a few times, they usually smooth back out. I guess it would be interesting to hear his take on why he avoided developing a bushing system for the big bike.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
MikeD said:
I think what he's saying is that Turner is using what most people call 'bearings,' but they're actually 'bushings.' I know there's some confusion between the terms for us non-engineers...I sure don't know the difference.

But I always thought Turner's defense of 'bushings' was aimed at the plastic plugs on which the RFX and other non-DHR rear ends pivot...not the main DHR pivot, which does use what I've always heard called (even by Turner) "needle bearings."
Naw, I was being a smartass. Everything in the DHR linkages is needle bearings. Just plain ole' zerk lubed needle bearings. I haven't popped one open yet but even the main pivot bearings look like cartridge ball bearings. Maybe those are needles too. Either way there's nothing there like what's on the xc bikes....which are what I would call more bushing-like.