Quantcast

2005 Kona Stinky Help

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
sup
( i would of posted this in the Kona forum, but i cant post a new thread in there for some reason????? )
one of my friends needs alittle help here...

hes got a 2005 kona stinky and his dropout/swingarm is bent out of shape in the smallest of degrees. the reason how we know this is because he has bought about 3 new derailleur hangers for his stinky and the hangers keep snapping off. he has obviously secured the hangers properly, and this has only become a problem recently. If you or anyone you know of has an 05 stinky swing arm, please contact me.

Thanks

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Chain too short (I don't know what chain growth is like on the Stinky, but it could be a problem)? Have you checked the alignment of the frame w/ proper tools?

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
good call man, but i think when riding ( the hanger broke all times at diablo ) we are usually in the smaller,high speed gear.
if it was in the lower, climbing gear, i can see it snapping alot easier

miuan

Monkey
Jan 12, 2007
Bratislava, Slovakia
good call man, but i think when riding ( the hanger broke all times at diablo ) we are usually in the smaller,high speed gear.
if it was in the lower, climbing gear, i can see it snapping alot easier
Judging from pivot placement, there is little chance the chain could stretch that much. There must be something misaligned there.

Apr 9, 2004
Mount Carmel,PA
are you sure the freehub is not locking up? We could not figure why one of bikes kept tearing off derailleurs till we realized the hub was not freewheeling while coasting causing the chain to tear off the hanger.

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
are you sure the freehub is not locking up? We could not figure why one of bikes kept tearing off derailleurs till we realized the hub was not freewheeling while coasting causing the chain to tear off the hanger.

but wouldn't he immediately notice that while riding around the parking lot of diablo or just riding around and coasting around his driveway or neighborhood?

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
On second thought, there's no way the frame being bent is causing der. hangers to snap... if you can get the wheel in and the tire's not rubbing anything, the frame is more or less in alignment.

hmm, good call.
we thought his drop-out area was bend out of wack, but if it was, as you said, the tire and quick release axle would be all binded up in there.. and i dont think there is a problem with him putting on and taking off his rear wheel

hopefully he chimes in sooner then later, i dont like being the middleman :p

Feb 13, 2002
Seattle, WA
hmm, good call.
we thought his drop-out area was bend out of wack, but if it was, as you said, the tire and quick release axle would be all binded up in there.. and i dont think there is a problem with him putting on and taking off his rear wheel

hopefully he chimes in sooner then later, i dont like being the middleman :p
Yeah, man. Even if something is twisted, it will just make the bike shift crappily, the der. won't tear off unless something binds. Sticks popping up from the trail, perhaps? I've done that a few times. I've also had the der. bend until it got caught in the spokes -- that's not pretty.