Quantcast

2005 Manitou Dorado service

Mlody

Monkey
Feb 25, 2006
London - UK
Hey,

I think I have a problem - I changed the oil etc. in the right leg (TPC+) of my Dorado and wanted to clean and grease the left leg (springs) as well.

So I took it apart and here's where I stopped, it's the left leg (with springs, not the damper):
http://img821.imageshack.us/img821/1620/p1911102031.jpg
http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/8561/p1911102032.jpg

I tried to unscrew it, but I'm not sure if I can - is it unscrewable?
Should there be any oil inside that lower leg?
If yes - how much?

I emailed Manitou and asked about the service manual for 2005 Dorado... and I was told that they, Manitou, never made one for it.

-Dave

Last edited:

ucsbMTBmember

Monkey
Nov 20, 2009
which dorado is it? the mrd x-works? if so they dont have anyone that knows how to fix it. my buddy had one and had to get an aftermarket cartridge for it.

freeridefool

Monkey
Jun 17, 2006
medford, or
Google dorado rebuild and it will bring up a couple really good threads from ridemonkey. It will show you how to do it.

But for some quick help, no you dont unscrew it. You turn the leg shaft end down.

Push he shaft in. As you slowly pull the shaft to full open you pour oil in. Then slowly push the shaft back closed. Do it a few times adding oil if you have to. What you are doing is bleeding the damper.

After that you put the rebound assembly back on the lower leg, still with the whole thing upside down. Then turn over and cycle the damper. If you have any dead travel at the top stroke, where the damper shaft moves before it starts pushing fluid. THen you still have air in the damper.

If that happens disassemble and do the bleed over again.

Thats pretty much it from what I remember. You dont want any movement in the damper before you start moving fluid. THats why you have to bleed the air out.

freeridefool

Monkey
Jun 17, 2006
medford, or
Oh now that I look at your picture thats the left leg. I dont think there is anything but spring in the left leg. So just grease and oil for lubrication purposes.

troy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 3, 2008
Bleeding the damper in dorado is super easy. Clamp the black dropout in the vise and use a wrench (it can be hard,but it is unscrewable). Remove this silver nut with the shaft and remove the oil . Unscrew the compression damper( on the bottom of the leg - some oil will flow from there too). Clean everything. Lube the compression damper shaft (there is a spring on it that supports IFP). Screw it back into the stanchion. Fill the leg from the top with some oil. Screw the nut with the shaft and rebound damper in and cycle a few times. Add some more oil and cycle a few times again, so the oil can go through the compression damper. Now, fill the whole leg with oil and screw in the rebound damper with tee shaft in fully extended position.

Mlody

Monkey
Feb 25, 2006
London - UK
Thanks guys, but it's NOT the damper leg. It's the spring leg I'm talking (writing) about.

ucsbMTBmember:
It's TPC+, not X-Works

freeridefool:
That's right, but springs are in the upper leg, and I don't know if I should put any oil into the lower leg, and lower leg is sealed.

Last edited:

troy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 3, 2008
Oh... there is a MCU bumper inside and nothing else. You san put some grease on the shaft and the oring there.

troy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 3, 2008
From the top - sliding HSC psiton/valving then fixed LSC piston/valving. You can set the progression of the fork by changing HSC travel (c- clip position; more travel of the piston = progression will "engage" further in travell). Imho "factory" HSR valving is a bit too heavy, if You think the same You can take 1 shim from rebound piston and place it on LSC valve (if You have no spare shims).

freeridefool

Monkey
Jun 17, 2006
medford, or
Thanks guys, but it's NOT the damper leg. It's the spring leg I'm talking (writing) about.

ucsbMTBmember:
It's TPC+, not X-Works

freeridefool:
That's right, but springs are in the upper leg, and I don't know if I should put any oil into the lower leg, and lower leg is sealed.
Like troy said, just some grease on the shaft and like 30cc's of oil. Thicker the better cause its just lube oil.

Mlody

Monkey
Feb 25, 2006
London - UK
Imho "factory" HSR valving is a bit too heavy, if You think the same You can take 1 shim from rebound piston and place it on LSC valve (if You have no spare shims).
Yeah, it definitely is, I'll do it the next time I change oil.

Thank you all!
Cheers!