Quantcast

2005+ V6 Tundra Ext Cab or 4 door Tacoma V6

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Which would you choose and why for hauling DH bikes and 2-3 dirt bikes?

My issue with the Tacoma is that they're more expensive for the more recent years and have the saggier rear end when loaded. The '05+ V6 2WD versions of both get the same mileage. Also, the extended cab of the Tundra is a lot more roomy than I had expected and I would be able to close the tailgate and stagger 3 dirt bikes in the bed that way - the bed of the 4 door Tacoma would be a few inches too short to close the tailgate with the dirt bikes lined up straight.

So pros of each:

Tundra - more bed space, cheaper, same mileage as Tacoma, better chassis for loads

Tacoma - smaller overall, slightly more interior room with a full 4 door, what else?

I know I'm pretty much answering my own question here, but is there any reason to get the Tacoma over the Tundra for those purposes?

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I have an '07 4 dr Taco Sport longbed 2WD
I bought it new. I wish I had bought an older Tundra. They had really good deals on them and there are a couple of features that I wish I had...like a roll down rear window.
The mileage on mine really sucks. With any weight, it goes down fast. I have a canopy and +1 AT tires and I get about 17mpg. I got 21mpg on my first tank but that was stock and light.

If you want a Taco but are concerned with the saggy butt, there is a TSB to fix it for free at the dealer. I fixed mine by adding Firestone airbags. It was reasonably cheap and they are adjustable for whatever I'm hauling.

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
I've got an '03 Taco ext cab, but I wish I had the 4-door version now that I have kids and a dog. Saggy rear end? The Taco has the highest towing capacity(5000lbs) for it's class, so I've never noticed anything with the rear end sagging and I regularly tow a 2500 lb boat. If anything, it's a little too stiff for daily driving......

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Saggy rear end? The Taco has the highest towing capacity(5000lbs) for it's class, so I've never noticed anything with the rear end sagging and I regularly tow a 2500 lb boat. If anything, it's a little too stiff for daily driving......

The '05+ have softer rear leaf springs. In an effort to make the truck drive more like a car, Toyota used a 2 leaf spring pack. I was bottoming mine with 2 xc bikes on my sportworks and a weeks worth of camping gear. Like I said, Toyota has aknowledged the issue and will add a leaf for free.

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
The '05+ have softer rear leaf springs. In an effort to make the truck drive more like a car, Toyota used a 2 leaf spring pack. I was bottoming mine with 2 xc bikes on my sportworks and a weeks worth of camping gear. Like I said, Toyota has aknowledged the issue and will add a leaf for free.
Holy crap!! .....I've read some of the stuff on the Toyota forums about softening up the rear for the older models with new leafs, but I had no idea Toyota snuck softer ones in on the '05 owners. That being said, I still wish I had the 4-door---even with the shorter bed you can still have the tailgate down and use the rounded cage-thingy they offer to keep everything contained.......or are dirt bikes too long even for that?

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
I was looking at '06 Tacomas when I bought my '05 Tundra 2wd Access Cab. I got a bigger motor (i-Force V8), tow package, and the little thermostat/compass in the rear view mirror thing for the same price as a V-6 Taco, in a 6-spd., without the thermostat/compass, and without the tow package.

Spero

ass rainbow
Jul 12, 2005
Tejas
I'm not sure about the newer models but I looked at Tacos a few years back (right before the Tundra was in production) and they held value much better than the other models I was looking at. I have no idea if that's still the case or even if Tundras do the same.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
I wish I had bought an older Tundra. They had really good deals on them and there are a couple of features that I wish I had...like a roll down rear window.
I have an 04 V8 Tundra 4dr w/ 4wd and I love it. Drives nice on the highway, does good offroad, bikes fit in back no problem, and I can even cary 4 bikes, 4 people, camping gear for everyone, & a dog.. with plenty of room for everyone.
:monkeydance:

Was thinking about getting a Taco for my next car, but the little I gain in milage isn't worth the lack of space and getting rid of the roll-down rear window. That with a sunroof rocks on hot summer days!!

btw, to Toyota: I hate the new tundra and would switch to a Titan before I got one of those. That thing is too big, and looks like poo.

SVPPB

Monkey
May 13, 2007
I have an 05 Taco TRD Extended Cab 4x4.
I just did the add a leaf to the rear (really stiffened things up nice) and the Camburg 2.5" coil overs to the front so I could clear 32"s.

Mind you I did get the bastard stuck something great last night in 3' of snow, but I love mine.

The record with the Dakine pad in my truck was 12 bikes, two dog crates, and 400lbs of gear in the inside. I can easily do 8 bikes for road trips, but in retrospect I wish I had gone with the 4 door. Its nice not to have everyone trying to mooch rides, but for the underseat storage it would have been bueno.

My next project is to track down a super charger for the beast. I get about 24mpg right now, should drop to around 20 but I will pick up 50hp, so who am I to complain. Gotta keep the Saudis happy

I've also put two ducati monsters in the back of the beast, around 435lbs a piece, and there wasn't an issue with driving down the freeway. No sagging, no harsh bottoming out. Only time it was an issue was when I had 10 members of team fat kids in the back with their bikes. then we could bottom her out.

We hauled a fully loaded u-break trailer across the us with it as well. It got a little goofy over 70mph when the trailer would start whipping around in the air, but it was pretty good other then that.

I've put 42,000 miles on mine in two years, a lot of back and forth to races and three trips across the US. I love it, drive the hell out of it, use it for everything from 4x4 shuttle runs to getting out of flooded areas.

Streamline

Spammer Extraordinaire
Jul 9, 2007
I used to have an '05 Tundra king cab. I loved that truck. Comfortable, drove great, decent gas mileage for a truck, nice lines, and not to big. I miss that truck. But then I got a '06 dodge ram, people move out of the way quick when you come up behind them with one of those. Now I have a Matrix, I love this car but wish I had my Tundra back sometimes.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
Why? What's lacking with the Tacoma?
Space, two motorcycles maxes it out for available gear, (I have a regular cab)

Two people in it is a cozy ride if going camping.

Granted I don't drive much and usually go everywhere alone, so for the most part I have nothing to complain about.