Quantcast

2006 24 Hours of Great Glen

pigboy

in a galaxy far, far away
johnbryanpeters said:
The Glen, is 12-13 August this year.

My team's starting to coalesce, sounds like we have a couple more people interested - anybody looking for a team?

Also, do we have any other :monkey: teams going?

John
i'm pondering joining JBP's team or the 2nd string team that may develope when JBP's team becomes oversubscribed (we seem to have 6 guys for 4 slots at the present moment).

i wonder if this means i should finish putting my bike back together so that i can actually ride the damn thing!

-pigboy

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
johnbryanpeters said:
Rolling gravel carriage roads and some rooty steep singletrack - seven miles, maybe? Good camping. If you and Earl came, you, Jeff, Earl, and Pigboy would make a hell of a good team!
Hmmm....this could be a good plan. I'll talk it over with Sq-Earl and see what he thinks.

Preliminary report:

We went, we rode, we lost. Four old fart teams, we were last.

However, We managed to represent with splat's Ridemonkey banner, had a good time riding and carrying on.

Norm suffered three flat tires and a broken frame (two places, top tube to seat stay, seat stay to BB) due to a weld defect on his Trek Fuel. He was halfway through an 8.5 mile lap and ran, carried and somehow rode to finish the lap.

I managed to come down a rough downhill with one foot unclipped and stuck my foot in the rear wheel spokes, yet continued with the wheel rubbing.

It was cold and windy, more like mid-fall than mid-August.

Pictures to follow.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
johnbryanpeters said:
Preliminary report:

We went, we rode, we lost. Four old fart teams, we were last.

However, We managed to represent with splat's Ridemonkey banner, had a good time riding and carrying on.

Norm suffered three flat tires and a broken frame (two places, top tube to seat stay, seat stay to BB) due to a weld defect on his Trek Fuel. He was halfway through an 8.5 mile lap and ran, carried and somehow rode to finish the lap.

I managed to come down a rough downhill with one foot unclipped and stuck my foot in the rear wheel spokes, yet continued with the wheel rubbing.

It was cold and windy, more like mid-fall than mid-August.

Pictures to follow.
As long as you had fun, you won!!!

Yeah, we had a good time.

It's hard to convince yourself of that going out on the second consecutive night lap to freeze your buns off riding on slippery roots and mud, but the companionship and feeling of accomplishment Sunday afternoon pays off.

We all brought too much food and beer and shared it, and my new big tent is pretty luxurious.

I'm bringing my rear wheel over to the LBS in an hour or so to get it straightened out.

Side note:

There were some interesting bikes there. At least one person on a 29er, and one on a .243 that was tricked out more for dirt jumping than for an endurance race - goes to show that it's the rider, not the machinery.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
johnbryanpeters said:
Yeah, we had a good time.

It's hard to convince yourself of that going out on the second consecutive night lap to freeze your buns off riding on slippery roots and mud, but the companionship and feeling of accomplishment Sunday afternoon pays off.
:thumb:

mogulskr

Monkey
Aug 28, 2002
NH
Good job JBP. I was up there vacationing with the family. We were sitting by the fire Saturday night and it was still cold.

TreeSaw said:
Have you noticed increased speed with your recent reduction in wind resistance :sneaky:
:rofl:

Four Person Men's Masters

Place Team Name Captain Laps Time

1 Pedal Mashers Piper Chuck 28 24:44:13

2 Recycled Crums David Stackhouse 26 24:27:15

3 Kingdom Landsharks Harry Morrison 24 24:07:02

4 Hack, Wheeze, Cough & Gasp, Ltd. Harvey Serreze 22 24:39:28